Nvidia over AMD?

xXButchXx

This is not 2001 the driver divide just no longer exit

I know but i keeps seeing aoot of driver issues from AMD over Nvidia

I have a friend that uses a R9 280x and he has to use a older version of driver because of the new driver has some problems...

I know but i keeps seeing aoot of driver issues from AMD over Nvidia

I have a friend that uses a R9 280x and he has to use a older version of driver because of the new driver has some problems...

nvidia and AMD have driver issues. Your friend might be a computer dunce.

nvidia and AMD have driver issues. Your friend might be a computer dunce.

lol sad to say he isn't, he works for a pc shop and it's not just his own he's told me that most of the GPU issues he sees that clients bring back are AMD cards he's had to do quite a few RMAs due to Vram and parts dying from heat issues

lol sad to say he isn't, he works for a pc shop and it's not just his own he's told me that most of the GPU issues he sees that clients bring back are AMD cards he's had to do quite a few RMAs due to Vram and parts dying from heat issues

I had an issue with some AMD cards .... When I had an nvidia card the left over drivers would make the AMD perform like shit. nvidia is like the Apple inc of the PC realm.

I had an issue with some AMD cards .... When I had an nvidia card the left over drivers would make the AMD perform like shit. nvidia is like the Apple inc of the PC realm.

hahahaha sad to say now apple is losing to androids market now

hahahaha sad to say now apple is losing to androids market now

There will always be "MacTards" as there will always be "nvidiots" !

Hey there! 

Well the reason is basically, because the drivers and software is so much better. Nivida and AMD have similar power and features, but Ninvida is jus that little more nicer to use. And if you ever want to upgrade to a dual or quad setup the SLI is amazing on the Ninvida side. Ninvida cards tend to be "user" friendly, the software and drivers run better, have more features and users have ease of access to more online links, like a software the automatically retrieves your drivers, including beta drivers! The Ninvida side of things also have a easier to use control panel. The hardware is, on a very basic level, the same but the software side is further along for Ninvida. Hope this helped? Im a huge Ninvida fan after using AMD and swapping 2 months ago myself ;)

- Sam Palmer

There will always be "MacTards" as there will always be "nvidiots" !

agreed, Ive used both mid ranged cards both brands are pretty good (MSI R9 270 and 750Ti) for builds and best part you can oc the 270 to the 760s range

Hey there! 

Well the reason is basically, because the drivers and software is so much better. Nivida and AMD have similar power and features, but Ninvida is jus that little more nicer to use. And if you ever want to upgrade to a dual or quad setup the SLI is amazing on the Ninvida side. Ninvida cards tend to be "user" friendly, the software and drivers run better, have more features and users have ease of access to more online links, like a software the automatically retrieves your drivers, including beta drivers! The Ninvida side of things also have a easier to use control panel. The hardware is, on a very basic level, the same but the software side is further along for Ninvida. Hope this helped? Im a huge Ninvida fan after using AMD and swapping 2 months ago myself ;)

- Sam Palmer

Being that you don't even know how to spell nvidia logic would dictate that we can pass you off as another noob.

Because those guys' lives are basically devoted to tech (For the most part, other than the occasional family) so they want the best performance, Nvidia outdid AMD this time around for the most part. 

They all use Adobe software for video editing, which benefits from CUDA a lot.

I really believe this is the case. From experience, CUDA has a lot more applications than OpenCL when it comes to acceleration on Adobe products. For instance, while you could accelerate the rendering of real-time effects like gaussian or linear blur in the preview window using OpenCL on Premiere Pro, it still doesn't support acceleration in rendering the final product which the most important criterion for many imo. Also, the last time I used After Effects, there was hardly any OpenCL acceleration unless you got third-party plugins. A lot of people use After Effects for video compositing, so it's a deal breaker especially if you're making complex effects and don't have any acceleration.

I've been informed that many things have changed recently and that Adobe has committed to extensive support of OpenCL, so this may change soon. This is also considering that custom ASIC+FPGAs programmable with OpenCL are becoming available and that OpenCL performance on AMD cards is tremendous. Also, Apple is using FirePro GPUs on their Mac Pros, so it's not unexpected to see increased demand for even better OpenCL support from many in the media sector.

Rig: Intel Core i7-2600 / Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X / 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Seagate Hybrid SSHD 2 TB / FSP500-60APN 500W / 3x 20" 1600x900 LED / 51" Samsung F5000 plasma / Acer K330 LED projector
15.6" Clevo W650SJ: Intel Core i7-4810MQ / Geforce GTX 850M / 1 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Hitachi 1 TB 7200 rpm
14" Lenovo Y460: Intel Core i5-520M / Mobility Radeon HD 5650 / 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 / Hitachi 500 GB 5400 rpm

nvidia is actually behind in performance in every price point right now with the exception being the 780ti because AMD does not have a card in it's price bracket.

770 trades blows with the 280x, 750 ti trades blows with 260x. AMD only wins against the 780 and the 760.

770 trades blows with the 280x, 750 ti trades blows with 260x. AMD only wins against the 780 and the 760.

Problem is that 770 is more expensive and is a bit slower than 280x and you can get an R7 265 which is faster than 750ti for less money. AMD wins at every price point it has cards for sale in.

So why would you, purchase a workstation spec'd card if you can't preform workstation task because you lack the proper workstation graphics, even @LinusTech doesn't believe the titan is a card that should be considered for gaming 

im not saying it should be looked at as a gamingg card, im saying what it can do, it always has been the top card at any benchmarks and it does workstation features well. what it can do is game and workstation in 1 card

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Sponsors maybe? And the CUDA stuff. Like a lot of people said, Nvidia is the Apple of the GPU's. It's more comfortable with awesome tech that maybe you don't need or you don't use that much and that's why cost you more.

I like Nvidia (who doesn't) but I support AMD because we need competition. I really hope to see AMD getting bigger and better and to see their tech being used and developed. Mantle seems nice and useful.

About the "Nvidia drivers Master race" I think that both Nvidia and AMD have issues. There's beta drivers available almost all the time, and I don't understand why people complain. IT'S A FREAKING BETA DRIVER, not the finished polished driver. Anyways I like more what AMD does with their open technologies, letting other people use it.

nvidia is actually behind in performance in every price point right now with the exception being the 780ti because AMD does not have a card in it's price bracket.

I could buy a Honda that's as fast as a Porsche and much cheaper, does that make the Honda better? No. All it does is make it easier to obtain in a budget. Comparing price points is common when building a computer, but when comparing the actual companies, price points should be ignored. Focus more on tier vs tier performance, rather than a $300 card vs. $300 card.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I could buy a Honda that's as fast as a Porsche and much cheaper, does that make the Honda better? No. All it does is make it easier to obtain in a budget. Comparing price points is common when building a computer, but when comparing the actual companies, price points should be ignored. Focus more on tier vs tier performance, rather than a $300 card vs. $300 card.

No it's actually 100% based on what you get for the dollars spent especially when cards are in the same price bracket. Honda does not make any new cars that compete with porches so your metric is flawed. It would be more accurate to say that nvidia is GM and AMD is Ford.

No it's actually 100% based on what you get for the dollars spent especially when cards are in the same price bracket. Honda does not make any new cars that compete with porches so your metric is flawed. It would be more accurate to say that nvidia is GM and AMD is Ford.

Firstly, Honda NSX vs Porsche 911, good try though. Second, no, price is subjective to a specific budget. Is it ok to compare price tier to performance when building a rig? Yes. When comparing companies? No.

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

Firstly, Honda NSX vs Porsche 911, good try though. Second, no, price is subjective to a specific budget. Is it ok to compare price tier to performance when building a rig? Yes. When comparing companies? No.

What are you on about ? Price brackets reflect each performance tier Low, Mid, High. Both the GTX 780 and the R9 290x and non X are all in the same price and performance bracket therefore the are all in direct competition. Evidently the R9 290 costs less and outperforms the 780.

What are you on about ? Price brackets reflect each performance tier Low, Mid, High. Both the GTX 780 and the R9 290x and non X are all in the same price and performance bracket therefore the are all in direct competition. Evidently the R9 290 costs less and outperforms the 780.

Yeah, the 290 is priced like a 770 and performs like a 780.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Yeah, the 290 is priced like a 770 and performs like a 780.

this is true

I thought Linus uses GTX 590?

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

I thought Linus uses GTX 590?

Watch his newest personal rig update, he uses GTX Titans.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

Why is it that the major tech youtubers use Nvidia graphics cards over AMD in their personal rigs?

- Linus uses 2 GTX Titans in SLI

- Slick uses a single GTX 780

- Austin Evans uses 2 GTX 780's in SLI

- Logan from Tek Syndicate uses a single GTX 780 ti

- Paul from Newegg uses a single GTX 770 4gb

- Jayztwocents uses 2 GTX 780's in SLI

- Elric from techoftomorrow uses Nvidia

- Kyle from newegg uses Nvidia

Does anybody know why this is the case? I'd really like to know.

Well I know at least that Austin was given those cards after the fire and Logan did it solely for Skyrim and mods.

Depends on what you prefer.

If you want quiet cards, go Nvidia.

If you want awesome performance/price ratio, go AMD.