Objective C Question

RobertVanGilder

Hey guys,

I wanted to know which is the best way to learn objective C. I have an account on Lynda.com for objective C tutorials and a book called Cocoa Touch Programming in 24 hours. Which is better/quicker?

Thanks

Don't forget your third option; learning by doing.

I think ultimately it depends on how you find you learn best yourself. What kind of learner are you? Auditory, visual or kinaesthetic hehe :)

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I wanted to know which is the best way to learn objective C. I have an account on Lynda.com for objective C tutorials and a book called Cocoa Touch Programming in 24 hours. Which is better/quicker?

What I recommand is that you use books/video tutorials (whichever you prefer) to learn the basic synthax and particularities of the language, and then as @Nuluvius said, learn by doing. The key to becoming good at programming is to program, you can watch hundreds of tutorials but if you never do anything concrete you won't learn. Try something, screw up, research, fix it, reward yourself with a beer when it works -> repeat. :D

Learning programming in 24 hours (in whatever language) is complete BS, but I suppose what they mean is that you can learn the specifics of programming in "Cocoa Touch" (whatever it is) in 24 hours.

What I recommand is that you use books/video tutorials (whichever you prefer) to learn the basic synthax and particularities of the language, and then as @Nuluvius said, learn by doing. The key to becoming good at programming is to program, you can watch hundreds of tutorials but if you never do anything concrete you won't learn. Try something, screw up, research, fix it, reward yourself with a beer when it works -> repeat. :D

Learning programming in 24 hours (in whatever language) is complete BS, but I suppose what they mean is that you can learn the specifics of programming in "Cocoa Touch" (whatever it is) in 24 hours.

I do like the beer part ;) 

And yeah its true; building an app is the best way to learn. I am developing a simple "flappy bird" app at the moment!