Anyone recommend a language to write a FPS!

jd_guy17

First off, you can do your own engine of course, its better, its efficient, it really listens for your orders , its your baby :)

That's a big waste of time, especially for an FPS. If he's at the point where he needs to ask for help choosing the proper language, I really doubt he has the expertise to create a game engine.

For something simple sure it can be done, but for an FPS of decent quality we're talking about months and even years of programming, and when you're done you don't even have a game yet. :P

But I understand what you meant, although I don't think that it's going to be more efficient than what the current (cheap & even free) engines have to offer. 

Very good points about the languages and engine choices though. :)

That's a big waste of time, especially for an FPS. If he's at the point where he needs to ask for help choosing the proper language, I really doubt he has the expertise to create a game engine.

For something simple sure it can be done, but for an FPS of decent quality we're talking about months and even years of programming, and when you're done you don't even have a game yet. :P

But I understand what you meant, although I don't think that it's going to be more efficient than what the current (cheap & even free) engines have to offer. 

Very good points about the languages and engine choices though. :)

:)

I knew that someone will quote that, therefore i didn`t include in story this :

Basically i was going for my own engine, because i knew that i want some special way of treating meshes, or want to have some special mechanics(Physics mechanics, rendering) which would require and for you would be efficient to code really your own engine .

And Its not that big of a deal, Many people settle down on their own engine, but of course, the effects and efficiency of it will appear after few years of testing.  (Space engineers has their own engine , which was made for their studio previous game, propably (imho) as university project )

And of course, someone who is askin' about the game language would propably dont know a thing of creating his own engine, But as he is a begginer i wanted to let him know that there this  option too (to create your own engine) and he will certainly not make something from this information now, but it might be helpful at 3-5 year from now, when he will remember that some guy, wrote something, on one forum, and hopefully will dig some thing down, will find tutorial on engine creation, and after night spent in poor lit room where wind would bend the trees and they would knock on a window displaying shadows as of night creatues roaming through the room, the Thunder would strike and he would rise from his chair and scream  " MY OWN ENGIIIIINEEE" .  And the engine would be running his own game which will popular and will be happy that someone , one time, on one forum, at least in few sentences mentioned the possibility to create engine yourself :D

And of course, someone who is askin' about the game language would propably dont know a thing of creating his own engine, But as he is a begginer i wanted to let him know that there this  option too (to create your own engine) and he will certainly not make something from this information now, but it might be helpful at 3-5 year from now, when he will remember that some guy, wrote something, on one forum, and hopefully will dig some thing down, will find tutorial on engine creation, and after night spent in poor lit room where wind would bend the trees and they would knock on a window displaying shadows as of night creatues roaming through the room, the Thunder would strike and he would rise from his chair and scream  " MY OWN ENGIIIIINEEE" .  And the engine would be running his own game which will popular and will be happy that someone , one time, on one forum, at least in few sentences mentioned the possibility to create engine yourself :D

Yeah I understand, it's a good thing to mention that it's a possibility, I thought it was also a good thing to mention it's not a good option for him. :D (at least not now, for what he needs)

Making your own engine can pay off in the long run (useful for games that have been played for like a decade, or game series) but most of the time for something as common as an FPS, going the prebuilt route is the best option, even for the bigger studios. A lot of compagnies decided to make their own engines for their games, and after years of developpment they still didn't have a game. Instead of making the game, they decide to work only on the engine and commercialize it. :P (I can't remember where I read that but that was from a reliable source, I'm pretty sure that's how some bigger players in the game engines domain sort of got into that)

Yeah I understand, it's a good thing to mention that it's a possibility, I thought it was also a good thing to mention it's not a good option for him. :D (at least not now, for what he needs)

Making your own engine can pay off in the long run (useful for games that have been played for like a decade, or game series) but most of the time for something as common as an FPS, going the prebuilt route is the best option, even for the bigger studios. A lot of compagnies decided to make their own engines for their games, and after years of developpment they still didn't have a game. Instead of making the game, they decide to work only on the engine and commercialize it. :P (I can't remember where I read that but that was from a reliable source, I'm pretty sure that's how some bigger players in the game engines domain sort of got into that)

Yea, the guys behind Unity i quote " We just loved our macs" and wanted to code so they started to develop the engine.

Game developer student here.

I would say that if you are just starting out to use something like Unity3D. Unity3D is great, because you can choose between javascript and C#, which both can be great first languages. You also don't have to deal with rendering of 3D models, loading resources, getting input, handling sound, etc. Because Unity3D does that all for you. There also is a free version of Unity3D. If you want to use features like plug-ins, and to actually compile your game into an exe, you'll have to pay $1500 for Unity3D Pro, there is a student version out there which costs about $100.

If you want to program everything yourself, I would recommend C++. It is great for game engines since it's super fast and allows for a lot of low level optimizations. C++ does have a very steep learning curve however. It might take you like a year before you can write your first proper 3D engine in C++, if not longer. One of the big advantages is that it doesn't have to cost you anything. Yes, there are programs like visual studio, which are expensive, but there are also free alternatives like Code::Blocks. There even is a free version of Visual Studio.

If you have any question, feel free to reply to this or send me a PM.

Do it in Javascript? So your game runs in browsers and on phones/tablets :D

Just go and get one of the IDTECH engines - all based on C++ and do some edits to it :P 

all for free :P

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

Asking what language to make a game in points to the contrary that I assume that you more than likely don't even know a programming language. Each and every language has its pros and cons, just find one that you're comfortable with is what's most important.