R9 290 Tri-X vs Vapor-X

So i've decided that i'm gonna get a Sapphire R9 290, i've done my reasearch and I can't find the difference between the Tri-X and the Vapor-X models of the R9 290. Are they performance diffrerences? Cooling? Or just aestetics?

Vapor-X: $440

Tri-X: $420

Tri-X hands down, it's the best cooler for the 290 so far.

okeh

Vapor-X uses vapour chambers.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Both cards are good, I have a Tri-X myself. The Vapor-X uses vapour chambers and is slightly better cooled. It also has a backplate, different colour scheme and apparently some improvements to the power design. 

It's up to you whether it's worth the extra $$ over the Tri-X.

Vapor X has better cooling, if you plan to OC the card it's worth the difference, Also it's more quiet,

Vapor-X hasn't had that many reviews, people are more familiar with the Tri-X, which is pretty good too.

Vapor X has better cooling, if you plan to OC the card it's worth the difference, Also it's more quiet,

Vapor-X hasn't had that many reviews, people are more familiar with the Tri-X, which is pretty good too.

I'm gonna get the Vapor-X, i'm more into silence and the difference isn't that much.

I think that's the wrong way around, the vapor X is the top model AFAIK.

Vapor X is using a Custom PCB and their own custom Vapor cooler solution

but unless you are gunning for extreme OC

just get the Tri-X

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I think that's the wrong way around, the vapor X is the top model AFAIK.

Last time I looked the Vapor-X was the best cooler from Sapphire until their Tri-X cooler came out?

Last time I looked the Vapor-X was the best cooler from Sapphire until their Tri-X cooler came out?

According to what I've read it's the other way around, the VaporX came second and is superior, as is the PCB.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/06/05/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-vapor-x-oc-review/1

We've already seen one Sapphire cooling solution for AMD's Hawaii chips when we looked at the R9 290X Tri-X, and it's certainly an effective one. However, now Sapphire is back to tame Hawaii again with a cooler that it claims is even better, the Vapor-X

Vapor-X unless you planning to watercool your card since Tri-X use Reference PCB.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

780Ti

1) Not what he was asking

2) Worse Price/performance

3) Different company with different features

4) Less Vram for CF/SLI configs that can utilize it

5) Pointless comment because again, not what he was asking.

vapour X for the badass backplate. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

780Ti

Your a idiot. 780 ti is like 150 USD more.

† TTCF Member † Jesus loves you! Have a good day and stay techie!

I covered this, the Vapor-X wins in every way aside from price, the Tri-X is still a great card, but anybody that thinks its better has no idea what they are talking about:

If the price gap was wider I'd say just grab the Tri-x as it is one of the best 290 designs. But that extra $20 gets you higher quality components, slightly better cooling and *probably* a better overclock limit (since it's likely binned).

Where I am the price gap is like £50 (~$80) so no way would I go for it.

Some people don't seem to know how Sapphire's tiers work. The lowest end is the Tri-X, then Vapor-X, and finally the Toxic. Chose the one that you like the most at the price you desire. Personally, I find the vapor-x gorgeous. 

Some people don't seem to know how Sapphire's tiers work. The lowest end is the Tri-X, then Vapor-X, and finally the Toxic. Chose the one that you like the most at the price you desire. Personally, I find the vapor-x gorgeous. 

slight correction

Toxic is like in between the Tri-X and Vapor-X

Toxic is pretty much a highly binned OC version from Tri-X based cards 

Vapor X is because of the Vapor chambers cooling technology

Vapor chambers below for the Vapor X

vaporX-working(1).jpg

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The Tri-X is less than the $420 you posted http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202080

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10