Problem Solving community

wolfsinner

I've done this in the past for some forums, and was just wondering if the LTT community is up to this.

My proposal is the following: every week (at least) I'd supply a problem for the community to solve. Any programming language is valid and accepted, and the idea is to discuss solutions and implementations, as well as any topics related to the given problem.

I would start with easy problems, moving on to more difficult problems when appropriate. This is usually a great learning experience for everyone involved, especially if the community is active.

However, I'd first like to know whether a significant amount of users are interested in being active with this kind of activity (4-6 would be a good number). Would you take part in this?

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

I've done this in the past for some forums, and was just wondering if the LTT community is up to this.

My proposal is the following: every week (at least) I'd supply a problem for the community to solve. Any programming language is valid and accepted, and the idea is to discuss solutions and implementations, as well as any topics related to the given problem.

I would start with easy problems, moving on to more difficult problems when appropriate. This is usually a great learning experience for everyone involved, especially if the community is active.

However, I'd first like to know whether a significant amount of users are interested in being active with this kind of activity (4-6 would be a good number). Would you take part in this?

sure...I'm more of a bystander to look at other members answers. I will try though.

It'll be like the @CornOnJacob build-off week although he's hasn't been online recently :(

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

sure why not count me in

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Would it be too unfair if I did?  :lol:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I'm happy to see the community is willing to do this.  :lol:

I'll whip up a simple interface through which you can test if your implementation's results are correct. The first problem should come out later today, or tomorrow. 

Would it be too unfair if I did?  :lol:

It's not a matter of winning or losing, so there's really no concept of fairness. You are more than welcome to participate! If you find the problems easy, share your solution and help out others who may be struggling. Or maybe you'll have trouble solving something, and others may help you figure it out!  :)

I might try to solve a problem if I have time, but I will probably just stick around for the discussion. If I've learned anything from the build-offs I run, it's to not be too worried about participation. The number of entries has ranged from 4 to 20+, and the number of votes from 1 to 50+. As long as people are programming, problem-solving, and having a good discussion, it'll be great.

P.S. @wng_kingsley7 the next contest is up :P

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

It'll be a separate Thread right? + How often will challenges be?

Every problem will have its own thread. I intend to release a new problem every week. 

I already decided on this week's problem, I just need to write it up. Should be up later today, or tomorrow.

Please add the all solutions in spoiler tags.. 

[spoiler=Optional title]text[/spoiler]
happiness = 50tolerance = 60if happiness > tolerance :    print "Hello"else:    print "Get me coffee"

Code can be put in here..

NOTE: You can view the actual markup of your post by clicking the switch in the top left of the editor..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Please add the all solutions in spoiler tags.. 

[spoiler=Optional title]text[/spoiler]
happiness = 50tolerance = 60if happiness > tolerance :    print "Hello"else:    print "Get me coffee"

Code can be put in here..

NOTE: You can view the actual markup of your post by clicking the switch in the top left of the editor..

ahaha yeah, i kinda have the feeling that he knows how to use a spoiler tag :rolleyes: