maximus Vii hero z97 audio is crap

hashtagswagarino

bought this board on a whim just to try it out of curiosity of the audio implementations, here are some of my opinions for anyone interested:

audio

-headphone amp is crap, whatever opamp they are using has very high output impediance and in turn is not very suitable for more sensitive iems, headphones, I hear a constant hum because the noise floor is so high.

-poor dac implementation, emi sheilding/pcb layer does nothing, here constant pops and cracks when doing anything stressful

-driving power from amp is disappointing, using beyerdynamic DT990s 600ohm (reasonably difficult to drive) It cannot drive them to sufficient volumes (even when the gain setting is set to extreme) For reference my z87 ud3h can drive them much better

- sonicsense doesn't work, no matter what headphones you plug in, it always thinks its 64ohms or below, also changing the gain setting doesn't do much, it might add an additional .5x gain per setting if that, but it's hard to tell.

- sonic studio, worthless garbage, the stock realtek implemenation is better

- sound sound stage, total joke, sounds awful on all presets, why would anyone ever use this crap? A basic equalizer is way better

no your wrong ROG is the best thing ever because its ummm red and black and has falshy lights and because linus is an asus fanboy and says its the best

yea its not the best maybe you just got unlucky tried RMAing it?

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

bought this board on a whim just to try it out of curiosity of the audio implementations, here are some of my opinions for anyone interested:

audio

-headphone amp is crap, whatever opamp they are using has very high output impediance and in turn is not very suitable for more sensitive iems, headphones, I hear a constant hum because the noise floor is so high.

-poor dac implementation, emi sheilding/pcb layer does nothing, here constant pops and cracks when doing anything stressful

-driving power from amp is disappointing, using beyerdynamic DT990s 600ohm (reasonably difficult to drive) It cannot drive them to sufficient volumes (even when the gain setting is set to extreme) For reference my z87 ud3h can drive them much better

- sonicsense doesn't work, no matter what headphones you plug in, it always thinks its 64ohms or below, also changing the gain setting doesn't do much, it might add an additional .5x gain per setting if that, but it's hard to tell.

- sonic studio, worthless garbage, the stock realtek implemenation is better

- sound sound stage, total joke, sounds awful on all presets, why would anyone ever use this crap? A basic equalizer is way better

Just go through the RMA process, ASUS has great support (I'm an authorized reseller.)

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

I've said this before in other places, but ASUS can suck my dick.

Please refrain from using that language on the forum.

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

u started it

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You can report it if you don't like it, but don't tell me what to do.

Please refrain from using such strong language on this forums. There are kids on this forum.

I love you shearmz

Quote me to get a reply!

Please refrain from using such strong language on this forums. There are kids on this forum.

I love you shearmz

u r like 12 doe  xD  :wub:

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

And where can ASUS reach you, to.....you know.... :D :D

But seriously, 1 plus point is that ASUS' after market service is quite good and responsive. 

I find the grey background that makes it obvious this was a copy and paste very suspicious. I have a z87 ROG board and the sound is very good on it and I would assume the z97 is similar. Probably got a bad board if he's legit. 

I find the grey background that makes it obvious this was a copy and paste very suspicious. I have a z87 ROG board and the sound is very good on it and I would assume the z97 is similar. Probably got a bad board if he's legit. 

Oh snap?

snip

Were you using the front headphone ports or the rear? Just asking because according to Gigabyte's website, the amp on that is ONLY on the front panel, while the rear is running straight off of the ALC898, and I think ASUS implements it the other way around, and the front headphone ports are more prone to interference anyway.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

On another note, everyone join me on the ASRock Purity Sound hype train, 0.3 ohm output impedance CHOO CHOO

10ohm syba dac master race, sorry bud

yes i also posted this on OCN, just want to spread the word about this board, if your buying it for the audio, DONT