Logitech G502 Proteus Core

I don't undwestand people putting lighting color ahead of functionality and performance. I don't like green at all, but that doesn't stop me from using Razer products when they happen to be the best choice for me. There is nothing about my set up that is blue, but that didn't stop me from getting the G502, because it was an obvious best choice for me.

The Ouroboros advertises 11 buttons, but you won't be able to use them all. The side buttons on your non-thumb side will basically be useless. Also, the "thumb grip button" sounds like a mis-click disaster waiting to happen. There is nothing about the Ouroboros that, to me, makes it worth the $150 they are asking for. Yes you can go wireless with it if you want, but again, to me, that's not worth the extra $70 you will pay over the G502. Only reason I can see for someone to buy the Ouroboros is if they are left handed.

I agree I dont see why you would pick looks over other things on a mouse.

well is ambidextrous so count out the 3 buttons on the side that is opposite your thumb. I would also recommend locking the thumb click on that side. i hav no issues with the thumb click button as it need some force to be clicked. I will also agree that $150 is steep for what is being offered but it is unique. It can make a quite nice fingertip grip mouse when adjusted and there arnt any wireless fingertip grip mice that I can recall off the top of my head.

Even between keyboards, switches feel different (from manufacturer, model, etc.), so to dismiss "a single change" as if it were insignificant is silly. Hell, I have a Majestouch Ninja (Blue), Quickfire TK (Blue), along with the 2014 BW right now and I can tell you that each one feels different. I've also used another Kaihl based keyboard and that, again, is different. I've also used and owned the 2013 Blackwidow with Cherry Blues. They are definitely not the same. I also know that the characteristics of Kaihl and Cherry change differently with use (after a couple of thousand presses). Regarding the feel after longer use, I haven't felt this yet but I've seen factory reports.

Not even counting fundamental flaws in a few feature implementations (seems like something firmware/software could fix), the Ouroboros definitely does not have a sensor that can compete with the G502. I do like the fit of the Ouroboros though. Just wish so many things about it weren't so janky.

Sorry it took so long to reply to this @dezeltheintern . I have been busier than usual and wanted the time to do a proper reply.

The switches can feel different just from manufacturing tolerances let alone other changes like PCB mount and heck even steel vs aluminum plate can make a difference. In the end most of that is very minute changes and from my understanding the rest of the black widow is the same as before. The Kaihl switch in the end is based off the cherry switch and the two models that razer offers are meant to directly replace the blues and browns. Its not like they decided to even revise the switches and make them better which they could have easily done, especially with the browns. I really doubt that the average person who buys a black widow would even notice a difference unless they did a side by side comparison and even then would they care? Also would these people even be able to notice the the differences you and I mentioned above? If they did would they care enough to return or resell they board to get one that felt that little bit better or more to their taste? I would consider this far more significant if they suddenly switched to ALPS or something, however they didnt. What they did do was find a was to find a way to bring as close to the same product to market at likely a significantly cheaper price point on their end.

The only Kaihl boar I tried was a Rapoo because it was one of the first and actually has some amazing features for the price. It was a black board with red accents and had their version of the black switch, which I believe is yellow. This was before the cherry copyright had ended, but you know china... The switches didnt feel much different but the materials were not as good and the build quality was about what was expected for the price. The switches themselves just seemed to be made cheaper from the outside but I didnt have the chance to crack one open and confirm. This is also the board that had the issue with the stems snapping off as there were many in the keyboard enthusiast community that picked it up. Much of this might have gotten better since apparently Razer is doing their own QC on the manufacturing line. The point im trying to get across here is that before I would count it out due to the likely negligible difference in feeling I would count them out based on being a sub par product.

Which sensor in the Ouroboros are you talking about? Also I dont believe that the sensor makes that mouse. That would roughly equate to the the engine making the car

Is the mouse wheel that big of a draw back? Just wondering because of the "slippery" wheel.

I have had no issues dealing with the slippery wheel. It has actually been quite the opposite for me.

I didn't find it slippery but I did find the mouse wheel to make the mouse shudder every click. It just seems like the mouse wheel is over-built. I do hear that it gets better with use though (based on other Logitech mice that had such problems).

do yo mean that its to easy to spin, especially accidentally and when doing nothing relating to the mouse wheel? If so I agree but have just gotten used to locking it when not needing hyper scroll. Before on all previous models I have used that have had it I would leave it unlocked except when gaming.

What is the mouse anchor that you use called?

a few different companies have them but you dont need something specific. With any wired mouse just give your wire slack on the desk and hold any excess down with something heavy. I was actually using my G602 to hold the cable when swapping between the two.

I will definitely be getting this mouse once mine gets old. 

• 8 months later...

So glad I found this review. I'm either going to get this mouse or the Logitech G402 Hyperion, since now both prices are lower, it's only a $10 difference or so on NCIX's website. Thanks! @LinusTech :)

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

• 1 month later...

Duck sized horses...

attachicon.gifducksizedhorses.png

@Snickerzz

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

yeah i heard :P

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015