windows xp vs vista vs 7 vs 8

Go to solution Solved by Benjio,

I believe Vista drivers often work on Win 7 and Win 8, however I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any 64 bit drivers. I would recommend just trying to install Win 7 32 bit (before buying it) and see if you can get the drivers to work properly.

I have an old dell vostro 400 im refurbing i put windows 8.1 and it works ok im wanting to switch because of compatability problems anyway there are no 64 bit drivers for it its got 4 gb or ddr2 ram and a 64 bit processor so i was thinking about windows 7 but there are no drivers for it. so i guess im asking what version of windows and 64 or 32 bit for best compatability and it has a radeon hd 6850 for graphics so maybe vista 32 bit??? its recomended to run xp but i cant stand xp plan on using it as a back up rig for team fortress hawken call of duty (low end titles or at least low graphics) thoughts????

hope im in the right section

cheers(:

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

also it does have vista drivers .. the only reason im considering it

Project black out: cpu: athlon x4 750k @4.7ghz, Mobo: asrock fm2+ a55 vg3+, ram: 1x 8gb hyperx 1866mhz, video card: 1x saphire radeon r9 270x, Storage: 1tb hdd ssd in the future,  cooling: 2 noctua 120mm fans 1 on rad one front intake.

There should be drivers for Windows 8.1 I don't see why there wouldn't be

There should be drivers for Windows 8.1 I don't see why there wouldn't be

for the motherboard there isnt there is for the gfx card but thats another can of worms it just wont work right with 8.1.

its a older dell i mean it runs lga 775 core 2 duo but any way there isnt even windows 7 drivers only vista and xp 32 bit )": will 7 work with vista drivers ??? its been so long since i even looked at 7 or vista

I believe Vista drivers often work on Win 7 and Win 8, however I'm not sure if you'll be able to find any 64 bit drivers. I would recommend just trying to install Win 7 32 bit (before buying it) and see if you can get the drivers to work properly.

thanks ill do that ill post tomaro and let yall know how it works

Benji is correct. You can use the vista drivers for windows 7 or for windows 8.1. Glade you got your solution.