Realtek ALC889 codec good?

orangecat
Go to solution Solved by MrYuriy,

I keep hearing people say that the specs are nice but there is allot of interference and noise on the signals that is why i'm considering getting a DAC and headphone amp because i'm tired of random background hissing or other odd sounds but i don't know exactly what causing it.

Yeah, as I mentioned, I always recommend a DAC/AMP. Especially if you want to reduce annoyances.

So I plugged my headphones into my PC directly and holy crap does it get loud. I looked around on TomsHardware and they had some thing about the Realtek ALC889 codec and how it was pretty much top of the line for onboard audio and it has some impressive specs so I was wondering does it really matter?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-6.html

So I plugged my headphones into my PC directly and holy crap does it get loud. I looked around on TomsHardware and they had some thing about the Realtek ALC889 codec and how it was pretty much top of the line for onboard audio and it has some impressive specs so I was wondering does it really matter?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-6.html

Yes, the Realtek ALC889 codec is phenomenal. And actually, there's been many tests, including done by myself, where the ALC889 was either a.) better than many sound cards, b.) pretty much the same in performance, or c.) if it was beaten, it was never worth the $200+ spent on the sound card.

Long story short, it is very, very impressive, and I do not recommend getting a sound card. Maybe a DAC, but the sound card would be a waste 90%+ of the time.. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. They are over-marketed and way too over-rated.

It's just those companies do such a great job at marketing and advertising, but a good high-end motherboard is more than enough.

Can anybody (that actually knows what they're talking about) give me an Amen? Prove to the rest you know what you're talking about, and lets bust the "you need a sound card for better audio performance" bubble!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Yes, the Realtek ALC889 codec is phenomenal. And actually, there's been many tests, including done by myself, where the ALC889 was either a.) better than many sound cards, b.) pretty much the same in performance, or c.) if it was beaten, it was never worth the $200+ spent on the sound card.

Long story short, it is very, very impressive, and I do not recommend getting a sound card. Maybe a DAC, but the sound card would be a waste 90%+ of the time.. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. They are over-marketed and way too over-rated.

It's just those companies do such a great job at marketing and advertising, but a good high-end motherboard is more than enough.

Can anybody (that actually knows what they're talking about) give me an Amen? Prove to the rest you know what you're talking about, and lets bust the "you need a sound card for better audio performance" bubble!

I keep hearing people say that the specs are nice but there is allot of interference and noise on the signals that is why i'm considering getting a DAC and headphone amp because i'm tired of random background hissing or other odd sounds but i don't know exactly what causing it.

Yeah, as I mentioned, I always recommend a DAC/AMP. Especially if you want to reduce annoyances.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Don't the Supreme FX II use ALC889 codec or am I mistaken?

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

AMEN!!

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.