XFX R9 290 VRM Temps a *little* high

Hi forum,

I have an XFX R9 290 Double Dissipation and I just recently noticed that my VRM temps where easily going over 100C at stock voltage. I Pulled the voltage back to -25mV in Afterburner and was able to maintain a stable overclock at 1060/1325.

However, my VRM temps as shown in GPU-Z are still sitting around 93C after a long session of BF4. 

My question is, are these temps safe? I know that XFX doesn't have the best VRM cooling, but then again, the VRMs are rated for 125C, AFAIK. Do you think mid-90s are safe on this card? Or should I RMA? I'm pretty frustrated with XFX since this is otherwise such a great card. GPU cooling is excellent, its very quiet and looks absolutely gorgeous in my windowed case.

If only they had put a little more thought into VRM cooling, though...

What do you think? Is 93C a safe tamperature to operate the VRMs at?

Hi forum,

I have an XFX R9 290 Double Dissipation and I just recently noticed that my VRM temps where easily going over 100C at stock voltage. I Pulled the voltage back to -25mV in Afterburner and was able to maintain a stable overclock at 1060/1325.

However, my VRM temps as shown in GPU-Z are still sitting around 93C after a long session of BF4. 

My question is, are these temps safe? I know that XFX doesn't have the best VRM cooling, but then again, the VRMs are rated for 125C, AFAIK. Do you think mid-90s are safe on this card? Or should I RMA? I'm pretty frustrated with XFX since this is otherwise such a great card. GPU cooling is excellent, its very quiet and looks absolutely gorgeous in my windowed case.

If only they had put a little more thought into VRM cooling, though...

What do you think? Is 93C a safe tamperature to operate the VRMs at?

if its rated for that temp, it will be fine. if youre worried, you can always buy those little heatsinks for like 1$ and thermal adhesive them to the VRM

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

if its rated for that temp, it will be fine. if youre worried, you can always buy those little heatsinks for like 1$ and thermal adhesive them to the VRM

yeah, but running a component close to it's max rated temperature for a long period of time can't be good, can it? Also, XFX has "warranty void if removed"-stickers on the heatsink screws, so removing the heatsink isn't an option... especially if I have to worry about VRM failure in the future.

Depending on the VRM's they can run up to 120C without issue. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you see any artifacts and what not.

The card performs flawlessly, no artifacting or anything. I just want it to last :/

yeah, but running a component close to it's max rated temperature for a long period of time can't be good, can it? Also, XFX has "warranty void if removed"-stickers on the heatsink screws, so removing the heatsink isn't an option... especially if I have to worry about VRM failure in the future.

heat gun plus sharp knife are excelent void sticker removers ;)

The card performs flawlessly, not artifacting or anything. I just want it to last :/

it will last dont worry. VRMs were always running a little hot.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

heat gun plus sharp knife are excelent void sticker removers ;)

it will last dont worry. VRMs were always running a little hot.

Well, if it doesn't I guess I'll just have to RMA it.. :)

Well, if it doesn't I guess I'll just have to RMA it.. :)

indeed :) oh and next time, id stay off XFX, theyve had many barely good enough coolers in the past

indeed :) oh and next time, id stay off XFX, theyve had many barely good enough coolers in the past

Was with XFX for many gpu cycles...as of the 7900 series of cards, they have gotten sloppy with their cooling  :(

Case: Silverstone SG09B Motherboard: MSI Z10 Morter M-ATX CPU: I5-6600K  Ram: Corsair LP 2400 DD4 16GB GPU: MSI RX 480 Storage: Seagate HDD Baracuda 2TB x2, Crucial M200 500GB SSD X2 (Raid 0)PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 1000W w/PP05E Kit

"When to say :blink: WTF :blink: ....$2K rig only used for Minesweeper and Internet Checkers marathons...."

I heard of this problem before with the 290 DD.

I believe it's an early revision of the card that you have, I think the new 290 DD cards don't have that problem. I heard people that have the VRM on that card at even 100-110C.

Your problem could be that the thermal tape that is nearest to the DVI ports had dried up. 

You could RMA the card, not sure about that. Normally, you shouldn't really have any problem, but the components may be damaged in some time for running close to their max temps.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC