Haswell Build

Hey all, are you all tired of Haswell questions yet? No? Well here's another! 

So I'm looking to pick up a new Mobo, CPU, RAM,  and PSU come Haswell launch. I'd figure i'd be looking around on deals on the RAM and PSU while we wait for Haswell. I know PSUs are gonna have an issue with Haswell sleep state, I never let me computer go to sleep anyways. Thinking of picking up a SeaSonic X, sound good? What about RAM? I figure since i'd get a nice Gigabyte board that my ram should be black to match, any recommendations on that front? Figure i'd just do 16gb for the heck of it even though its over kill for gaming.

Have a bit of a reasearch into the psu, make sure it can meet the requirements for haswell before you buy anything! last thing you want is a psu that you can't use.

As for ram if you want 16Gb a set of Corsair Vengance would be a good buy. They have some sets out there with 8-8-8-24, 1600Mhz, 1.5v specs which are very solid and good for the price. You can also get the low profile version if you dislike the styling of the heat spreader.

sounds good

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Enermax already launched PSUs optimized for Haswell sleep state.

They only released a list of currently available PSU's that are compatable, There are currently alot of PSU's out there that are compatable, you just need to look into it and make sure. Enermax just did the research for you

I would say don't buy the ram yet. As far as I know intel hasn't said if it will be ddr3 or ddr4

I would say don't buy the ram yet. As far as I know intel hasn't said if it will be ddr3 or ddr4

Haswell and all associated chipsets and the LGA 1150 socket will be DDR3 only. For certain. 

Haswell and all associated chipsets and the LGA 1150 socket will be DDR3 only. For certain. 

Has it been officially announced?

You wont get more than 1600mhz ram if the motherboard isn't compatible. The mobo will come with a list of compatible ram kits. I bought 16 gigs of 2133mhz and it will only run at 1333. I also have an 8gb 1600 kit which runs at 1600 in the same mobo because its compatible. 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Has it been officially announced?

Sorry, let me make an amendment to what I said. "Regular" Haswell will support only DDR3 while Haswell-EX, which is far out of reach for the consumer (meant for enterprise), will be the first to support DDR4. 

I recommend an "AXI" Series power supplies from Corsair, i have the AX1200i and it's AWESOME fan can get a bit loudy when its under Full load but not really annoying. Really high build quality,Performance is great, and it looks so nice! for the Motherboard i wouldn't recommend a Gigabyte Motherboard. i would rather go with an ASUS or an MSI motherboard. Ram maybe G.Skill RIpjaws? or G.Skill Trident X

You wont get more than 1600mhz ram if the motherboard isn't compatible. The mobo will come with a list of compatible ram kits. I bought 16 gigs of 2133mhz and it will only run at 1333. I also have an 8gb 1600 kit which runs at 1600 in the same mobo because its compatible.

did you change your ram to xmp mode?

Sorry, let me make an amendment to what I said. "Regular" Haswell will support only DDR3 while Haswell-EX, which is far out of reach for the consumer (meant for enterprise), will be the first to support DDR4. 

Ok good to know

Look at corsair vengeance LP (low profile) if you have any intention of air cooling because the regular vengance stuff is particularly tall.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

I'd say hold off on the ram for now,

who knows if you will actually get a benefit for using faster ram like on AMD platforms

Intel has a list of power supplies that will be compatible with the new sleep state.

take a look:

http://www.intel.com/reseller/psu_selector/

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

You wont get more than 1600mhz ram if the motherboard isn't compatible. The mobo will come with a list of compatible ram kits. I bought 16 gigs of 2133mhz and it will only run at 1333. I also have an 8gb 1600 kit which runs at 1600 in the same mobo because its compatible. 

have you tried manually imputing the correct timings, CAS rating voltages etc ?