Do you think I should sell my Macbook pro?

Akolyte

For a first, I never take my computer out of the house... I hate public wifi.  Secondly, its got no apple care and its in great condition.  So if I break it, its down the toilet.  However its got an SSD in it and its got decent specs and is the 13 inch model that is still being sold on Apple's website. 

Do you think I should sell it and put the money towards a beast gaming machine?  Or do you think its worth keeping and if I should sell it, how much do you feel it is worth (NZD)

Its really tempting to sell it and then get a $2,200 rig.  But I'm not too sure, so I need advice.  Thanks in advance. :)

If you never use the mobility aspect of it then yes you should sell it. A desktop would be much more powerful but will sacrifice the easy portability of the laptop. You can still obviously move your desktop around it's just harder to do so.

Sell it get a Beast Gaming rig than Hipster Sh*t rig...no offense mac-ers

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I would just save, that macbook is a really nice machine so if you can save up and get a nice gaming machine AND a macbook pro it would be great. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Getting rid of the macbook pro is a no brainer for gamers. For video editors you may want to stick with the macbook pro. But I am pretty bias since I despise osx.

Getting rid of the macbook pro is a no brainer for gamers. For video editors you may want to stick with the macbook pro. But I am pretty bias since I despise osx.

The macbook cooling is terrible.  It gets above 100c during Minecraft, thats for all macbook pros.  So, video editing is a no no without a dedicated graphics chip. 

The macbook cooling is terrible.  It gets above 100c during Minecraft, thats for all macbook pros.  So, video editing is a no no without a dedicated graphics chip. 

100C WHY IS IT NOT MELTING?!

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Right after the first two posts, already the thread is taking the subjective slant. Record time.

I would sell it if you want to start gaming. More compatibility on the PC side of things and, of course, customizability. Assuming your MacBook Pro isn't so outdated, some cheapo on Craigslist is going to want it for a pack of cigarettes.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Well if you are editing home movies or school projects imovie can be good.

100 celsius is the melting point of water not everything. Metal can reach way higher temps

100 celsius is the melting point of water not everything. Metal can reach way higher temps

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

cuz the aliminum sucks it up harrrddd and it burns my arm!

Wow I'm dumb. Sorry to be clear it is the evaporation point of water.

Wow I'm dumb. Sorry to be clear it is the evaporation point of water.

dont worry man :P just for the lulz :P laugh with me man xD the best way to enjoy life :) 

Against All Odds pc build

AMD Athlon II x4 750k///MSI A55m E33///Kingston hyper x blue 8gb (2x4)///corsair cx430///EVGA GTX 750 SC///Rosewill FBM 01///Samsung EVO 850 120gb///Windows 8.1///Corsair Raptor k40

DAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNGGGGGG yes you should sell your mac, that is an amazing looking build. :o Be ready to give up the mobility though.

I could even sell my monitor, and use my current ssd in it and get an IPS monitor! :D  I hope I can sell my macbook pro and build this! 

I couldn't sell that fast enough.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Sell it and build a Gaming Rig

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

I read that the r9 280x needs a 700w power supply?

No no I'm running a 290 on a 550 watt with no stuttering whatsoever, that's all crap. You'll be just fine with a 620w :)

No no I'm running a 290 on a 550 watt with no stuttering whatsoever, that's all crap. You'll be just fine with a 620w :)

:D cool!  I've made a dedicated post for build ideas for this if you want to visit it, its in the same section as this!

Well if you are editing home movies or school projects imovie can be good.

Overreacted sorry >.> But still thats high.

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop: