Project: NotSureWhatToNameIt.

HeathCliff

So before anything, this is one of the few ideas that I'm proposing for an engineering project for school. My main objective here is to receive constructive criticism, feedback and your thoughts. 

Now onto my build. This was inspired by the Red Harbinger's Cross desk as well as Show4Pro's Wall mounted PC. When I first saw the Cross desk, I immediately scrapped every idea I had and wanted to create my own version of it. However, it had 2 serious problems which really got to me: the first being the thickness of the desk. Sure, it may not really be much of an issue to you, but for some unknown reason, I cannot tolerate it. The 2nd problem was the surface area. As a student, I have to have roughly 6-7 books on the table and the Cross desk does not look like it'd have the space to support all of that. That's where the wall mounted PC comes in. Show4Pro has made a beautiful watercooled PC without cramping any component whatsoever. This put together with it's low profile was exactly what I needed for my project.

Now without any further ado: NotSureWhatToNameIt.

QLUA0um.png

FIZ8jSU.png

Gv9Qxy8.png

As you can tell, I'm a very colourful individual. Of course with my ancient PC, making this was a nightmare. The only imported objects was the chair, and once it was imported, I was only able to take 2 screenshots before I, how should I put it..., 'Fucking lost it'. This meant I was unable to import essential objects such as the motherboard, GPU's, etc. So naturally, I went onto the manufacturer's website and used the measurements form there.

This is a dual loop system composed of a single motherboard stacked with an i7 Extreme, 8 DIMMs of memory, quad GPU and dual PSU's. For cooling, I'm planning on using all EK products with Bitspower fittings. Loop 1 (Motherboard) will use dual 480's while Loop 2 (GPU's) will use quad 480's. Yes it's overkill, but If you believe otherwise, feel free to say so. As for the big blocks near the GPU's, I/O and the PSU, they serve 2 functions: An area for the component to mount to, as well as a pass through for the cable to go though the bottom panel and out through the bottom.

cypoqe0.png

Ai4cuYK.png

0tfBaB3.png

For the tubing, I plan on using rigid acrylic with Ultra Pure H2O as the coolant. 

D5Re85h.png

Once again, yes I am aware that it's completely unnecessary, but I will be using 2 400mm reservoirs with d5 pumps for each loop. 

WbSYQJ5.png

One feature that is somewhat essential to me, is a way for which I can tinker around the components without having to take off the tempered glass every time. This is where this hinged panel comes into play.

WTSZ3Hr.png

146mm in thickness. Not bad right? (Considering the tallest thing here is the radiator).

TSJyj0Y.png

And finally, the magical floating 27" monitors which I could not be bothered sticking to a VESA mount because my PC was crying 'KILL ME'.

So finally for the conclusion as well as some extra info. Lets start with the latter. The reason I'm not using a mosfet block is because hopefully, I'll use the Asus RIVBE, and since EK can't make a mosfet block without having to remove that sexy I/O block, I chose to keep it. The dual PSU's are pretty much self explanatory: One for all the core components, and one for all the rest. I still have yet to find a suitable area to mount the SSD's and HDD's (most likely the area between the GPU's and the edge) and finally: To everyone reading, I hope you'll be able to provide some beneficial feedback so that I can keep improving this.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

If you actually pull this off I think I will straight up die

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Accurate to what I thought.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Accurate to what I thought.

Well let's hope my teacher doesn't tell me to scrap this project and go back to one that is more 'realistic'.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Well let's hope my teacher doesn't tell me to scrap this project and go back to one that is more 'realistic'.

I would tell him/her to hold that because this is one epic undertaking

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I would tell him/her to hold that because this is one epic undertaking

Even if he gave me the thumbs up, the only thing I can fill it with is a mini-itx mobo with a celeron m and whatever else is in my sig. It would take 2-3 years before I can get the money before it is as shown. This is just another wet dream to me. Well...let's not lose hope.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why don't you add like a cabinet where you can put in SSD's and HDD's?  It would give the benefit of being able to switch them out pretty fast. 

Overall I really like the idea that you made and if this were for sale I might have considered buying it (even though it would cost me like 5-10k :P).

Maybe add some color to the model? It would definitely look way nicer with a bit of color.

My favorite taste of the alphabet is yellow. 

Why don't you add like a cabinet where you can put in SSD's and HDD's?  It would give the benefit of being able to switch them out pretty fast. 

Overall I really like the idea that you made and if this were for sale I might have considered buying it (even though it would cost me like 5-10k :P).

Maybe add some color to the model? It would definitely look way nicer with a bit of color.

Quite interestingly, I did have that thought. The area between the GPU's and the edge of the desk was meant to be a hotswap bay for the storage. That is before my PC semi-burned and died. As for colour, I much prefer dark colours. My room is pretty much blacked out where the only light source available is from my monitors.

But anyway, thanks for the input! 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing job on the modelling, this would be an amazing project to work on over the years. wow this blows me away. What age are you? You at Uni/College/HighSchool?

Case: Carbide 300R

CPU: i5 4690K @ 3.90GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Mobo: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming

GPU: R9 290 Tri-X

PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA NEX650G

Storage: 4TB NAS

Drive 1: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Drive 2: WD 500gb 7200RPM

Keyboard: Vengeance K50

Headset: Vengeance 1500 V2

Mouse: R.A.T 5

Monitor: LG 24EN33

Quite interestingly, I did have that thought. The area between the GPU's and the edge of the desk was meant to be a hotswap bay for the storage. That is before my PC semi-burned and died. As for colour, I much prefer dark colours. My room is pretty much blacked out where the only light source available is from my monitors.

But anyway, thanks for the input! 

bump

Amazing job on the modelling, this would be an amazing project to work on over the years. wow this blows me away. What age are you? You at Uni/College/HighSchool?

I'm 18. In college. Most of the info is on my profile. But aside from that, this is roughly (in my opinion) only 30-40% complete. The pics are basically there to give you the idea of the shape and placements of the components. However, my teacher ended up saying that it was too unreasonable to make and this project will be scrapped. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm 18. In college. Most of the info is on my profile. But aside from that, this is roughly (in my opinion) only 30-40% complete. The pics are basically there to give you the idea of the shape and placements of the components. However, my teacher ended up saying that it was too unreasonable to make and this project will be scrapped. 

What a dick, oh well all the best with your next one. Keep us up to date! :)

It's awesome xD but why do you put the radiator toward the wall?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

It's awesome xD but why do you put the radiator toward the wall?

Only the left half will be pushed up to a wall. I just did that for no real reason.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Air flow is going to be your biggest problem, as it is with most desk pc builds. I would probably suggest to change your air paths to have fans pull air in through the bottom board near the user, then more fans pushing air out of that same bottom board near the wall. Then put some form of dust filtering on the intake fans to minimize the amount of gunk that gets in there.

I love the glass top idea, I have a glass top over my desk and its great, doesn't scratch (easily) and super easy to clean.

Perhaps incorporate some adjustable monitor mounts as well. Just to make it a bit more of a complete system. 

Looks like it has a bunch of potential.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

One more thing: whats your plan for getting cables to and from the components? Display cables, audio cable, even USB devices?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

ZLAdGzR.jpg

Call it, "The Pixel Station"

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

Also, a radiator near where the chair is might not be a very good idea. If it's blowing, that air could hit your body and blow up into your eyes causing annoyances, and if it's sucking it might cause your shirt to get stuck to it or lots of lint to collect on the filter.

If it's sucking it also might cause bad things to happen if you spilled a drink.

Intel core i5-3570k @ 3.4 GHz - Sapphire Radeon HD7870 Ghz OC Ed 1050/1250 - Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD - G.Skill 8 GB's DDR3-1600 MHz 

Asus Z77-A mobo - Windows 7 64 bit - Corsair raptor HS30 headset - Corsair CX600 600w PSU - CM hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler

It can run crysis.

Also, a radiator near where the chair is might not be a very good idea. If it's blowing, that air could hit your body and blow up into your eyes causing annoyances, and if it's sucking it might cause your shirt to get stuck to it or lots of lint to collect on the filter.

If it's sucking it also might cause bad things to happen if you spilled a drink.

There's no way the fans would have enough power to suck the shirt up, especially if it was right in front of the user. It would be like sitting in front of a vacuum cleaner.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

There's no way the fans would have enough power to suck the shirt up, especially if it was right in front of the user. It would be like sitting in front of a vacuum cleaner.

I'm not saying the pull would be super strong, but it might get caught up a bit. And if you're like me who's always right up against my desk then it could potentially starve the fans.

It can run crysis.

Only the left half will be pushed up to a wall. I just did that for no real reason.

Wont the airflow got cut off because it's facing the wall? If it's me I would put it to the end of the case, blowing toward nothing. Blowing straight down is also an option but it may cause your feet to feel hot if you run it at full power

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

First of all, if you never read some of the earlier posts, this project was scrapped.

This is how it should have been positioned.

aGaIDzr.png

Air flow is going to be your biggest problem, as it is with most desk pc builds. I would probably suggest to change your air paths to have fans pull air in through the bottom board near the user, then more fans pushing air out of that same bottom board near the wall. Then put some form of dust filtering on the intake fans to minimize the amount of gunk that gets in there.

I love the glass top idea, I have a glass top over my desk and its great, doesn't scratch (easily) and super easy to clean.

Perhaps incorporate some adjustable monitor mounts as well. Just to make it a bit more of a complete system. 

Looks like it has a bunch of potential.

One more thing: whats your plan for getting cables to and from the components? Display cables, audio cable, even USB devices?

That's what those blocks are for (the ones near the I/O of the mobo and GPU). They are meant to be a passthrough so you can connect cables from underneath the table. Also, I was considering implementing a USB hub on the left side.

ZLAdGzR.jpg

Call it, "The Pixel Station"

Project has already been scrapped.

Doubt it. 6 480mm rad all with low rpm fans. It should be more than adequate for cooling and should hardly cause any noise or draft.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Oh too bad :( I would be a damn nice PC to look at and show off xD