Steam adds Intel QuickSync to in-home streaming

Along with some other tweaks and bug fixes Steam has added Intel QuickSync to in-home streaming!

This will lower latency, and could open the door to an Nvidia streaming update to Steam in-home streaming as well. I'm very excited to see hardware accelerated implementations being used by Valve.

I honestly thought they might just go for straight up software encoding/decoding but as of late they've been improving both in their streaming platform.

55hcYAo.png?1?8044

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1387413317054247916

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

:D I cant wait for this to get to a point where i can stream games from my gaming PC at home to my crappy laptop while I'm at a friends :)

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

Meh.

Its pretty awful quality in reality. Its about the same as "superfast" on x264 (one of the worst presets x264 has in terms of video compression and image quality). You would be much better off using x264. You would be able to get higher quality video at the same bitrate as you could on Intel Quicksync.

:D I cant wait for this to get to a point where i can stream games from my gaming PC at home to my crappy laptop while I'm at a friends :)

In home streaming with a VPN can already do this.

True but I would like to see it implemented without having to use a VPN

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

True but I would like to see it implemented without having to use a VPN

And without as much latency. Just pinging home from the coffee shop could take ~50ms.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

Two drivers ago nvodia release a api for their onboard hardware encoder and decoder so we should be seeing sfuff soon.

They increased the max nitrate Linus should test 4k no to see if he can get a higher frame rate now

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

They increased the max bitrate Linus should test 4k no to see if he can get a higher frame rate now

I hate using this phone that should be an edit not a quote -_-

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I hate using this phone that should be an edit not a quote -_-

You using tapatalk?

I feel gaming will be optimized so much that low tier hardware will be able to run games on excellent settings

Meh.

Its pretty awful quality in reality. Its about the same as "superfast" on x264 (one of the worst presets x264 has in terms of video compression and image quality). You would be much better off using x264. You would be able to get higher quality video at the same bitrate as you could on Intel Quicksync.

From what I've seen, QuickSync is pretty damn good in terms of image quality. Sure you can get better quality with CPU encoding but that requires far more resources.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the SuperFast preset in x264 just for the encoding time and file size, not quality? So the quality will be the same when you use Ultra Fast or Placebo, but the file size will be different (placebo being the smallest)?

Anyway I think this is great news.

I feel gaming will be optimized so much that low tier hardware will be able to run games on excellent settings

That or because the rate at which hardware is improving is slowing down. How do we improve performance?

Well maybe we could touch up that inefficient code in our engine/driver/software. For certain applications use dedicated hardware (like x264 encoding).

The rule of Thumb essentially is.

NVENC (HQ)> NVENC (HP)>.264>Quicksync.

In terms of value to perf. (Opinion)

From what I've seen, QuickSync is pretty damn good in terms of image quality. Sure you can get better quality with CPU encoding but that requires far more resources.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the SuperFast preset in x264 just for the encoding time and file size, not quality? So the quality will be the same when you use Ultra Fast or Placebo, but the file size will be different (placebo being the smallest)?

Moving edges are improved quite a bit when you compare the fast and the slower presets. There are comparisons on doom9 since im probably not allowed to post video here.

The next update better for family sharing... It sucks that you can't play a game from a friend unless he his not playing anything at all.

so If i am streaming from a pc with a Intel cpu to laptop with an AMD apu will I see an improvement? 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

You using tapatalk?

no mobile site its better that tapatalk for WP

so If i am streaming from a pc with a Intel cpu to laptop with an AMD apu will I see an improvement? 

Yes. They sped up AMD decoding recently as well I think.

The next update better for family sharing... It sucks that you can't play a game from a friend unless he his not playing anything at all.

I'm pretty sure you can both game at the same time. Just not the same game, at the same time.

those presets dictate setting which basically dtermine how much time is spent compressing, not how much compression is done thats the bit rate or crf depending which you set.

-snip-

I'm pretty sure you can both game at the same time. Just not the same game, at the same time.

thats my understanding as well

Yes. They sped up AMD decoding recently as well I think.

Not with the Family Library Sharing

Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

http://store.steampowered.com/sharing/ 

You can't control whats in the shared library right now, so you cannot play any games if he is playing one of the other's games. If the other person starts playing then you have 5 minutes to get out of his game.

Can't wait for the better Nvidia support and the fact that lower end cpu's can decode it better now is very nice.

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Cool, but I won't care until I have a gigabit connection.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Along with some other tweaks and bug fixes Steam has added Intel QuickSync to in-home streaming!

This will lower latency, and could open the door to an Nvidia streaming update to Steam in-home streaming as well. I'm very excited to see hardware accelerated implementations being used by Valve.

I honestly thought they might just go for straight up software encoding/decoding but as of late they've been improving both in their streaming platform.

55hcYAo.png?1?8044http://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream#announcements/detail/1387413317054247916

Wait Quick sync is only newer CPUs, right? So my older C2D will still suck at encoding?

Wait Quick sync is only newer CPUs, right? So my older C2D will still suck at encoding?

Yes, anything older than Sandy Bridge won't support QuickSync (and you might not have support for QuickSync even if you got something from Sandy Bridge or newer).