Need Help with PC Audio Setup

I am new to the recording scene and am trying to upgrade my audio setup for a new youtube channel (please don't judge).

We've been using a video camera with boom mic (I know, but it's what we had) to record the audio of 4 individuals having conversations while sitting on a couch.

I had purchased a Blue Snowball iCE to play with and am happy with the quality, but the one microphone needs to be rather close to the person speaking (within a few inches) and if placed on a coffee table in front of the couch, hardly catches any voices at all.

Now I am faced with the prospect of either buying three more Snowballs and switching to a table format or finding another alternative to get good quality (comparable to the Snowball) audio of all four speakers.

As such I have three scenarios to present but am uncertain of the proper equipment I would need for either.

Scenario 1: Table format with four Snowballs.
Given that the Snowball microphone is plugged into the PC by USB, it is my understanding that I would not be able to record from four of them at the same time. I assume I would need a mixer for this but can't seem to find one that would take four (let alone one) USB input. Are there any out there? Now, the mixer option would mix them down to one input for my PC meaning all voices would be on one track. Not ideal, but this seems the cheapest route to go.

Scenario 2: Table format with alt. microphones.
To record each speaker onto separate tracks I assume I would need a soundcard with multiple inputs. Mixing could then be done on the PC, correct?. What would be a good soundcard for this purpose and what microphones would you recommend that are comparable in price to the Snowball iCE (50$)?

Scenario 3: Couch format
Easiest to implement would be to retain my current format and have only one mic sitting on the coffee table in front of the couch to record all four speakers whose mouths would be about 4-5 feet from the microphone. Problem is, I don't know of any good microphones for this purpose. Any recommendations?

So I think I know what I need but I have no idea of any good microphones, soundcards or mixers that I could use to make an educated decision about which route I should take.

That's why I'm asking the best for recommendations!

Thanks in advance.

You're right.

The problem is, I don't know what good equipment would be to allow for the recording. What would you suggest as a mixer or soundcard for the 4 mic setup? What kind of mic would be best for the coffe table?

Hmm...may I suggest an omni-directional boundary mic, like a PZM (pressure-zone)?

The expensive ones used for music recording fall into the "slightly" eclectic category- Neil Peart had one taped to his chest when recording Moving Pictures to get a "from the POV of the drummer" thing going on.

That said, you can get cheap ones made for the purpose of a "roundtable" discussion.

I can't attest to the quality/results of using a PZM in that way, I've just never tried that out.

Here's 2 I found fer you that seem like they maybe in ur $ range(?)

Posted Image

and this one with a description:

Posted Image

"Full-fidelity PZM Mic with Tiny Size, Tiny Price!

The Crown Sound Grabber II is a Pressure Zone Microphone for budget applications such as recording conferences and speeches. It works great with camcorders, picking up clearer sound than built-in microphones. Other uses include "no-fuss" music recording just place it on the floor near the musical ensemble."

Condenser mics are used (9/10 times) for recording quiet, non-amped acoustic instruments (vox, strings, piano, overheads for drum kit etc). They need phantom power (extra juice) to (tech/nerdy reasons) be able to have the gain for picking up quiet(er) sounds.

All mics kinda work the same way kinda:

sound=variations in air pressure. In a mic, those variations (sound waves) when they reach the mic cause the diaphragm (as in a condenser) or coil (dynamic mic) to physical move. The diaphragm/coil is "in between" an electro magnetic field- the fluctuation (movement) causes a variation in the electric current. These "variations" or movements reproduce the sound waves (air pressure variations)...being in the realm of electric land, from there they go thru an amp, magnified many times, finally ending up coming out of a speaker/headphone. Microphones and speakers are funny- they're both transducers, just wired the opposite way (for the most part). A speaker is a reverse microphone and vice versa.

Condensers are really good for voice. A decent large diaphragm condenser costs the same as a vanilla 780ti. The next level up is in the 1200-1800$ range, 2000-3000$, 3000-8000$ is the highest they go until you get into the vintage stuff. A friend of mine has an original U47 (look it up on Wikipedia, interesting story) he got for a "steal" at 30,000$. He pays his rent, renting his gear out!

My Philosophy is: you/anyone can make something that sounds superb with "junk"- it's the skill of the recording/performers etc. Don't ever let anyone tell you gear XYZ will "make something suck". BS!

That's the cool thing about making music. A determined person with a 300$ guitar can waste some dude with a room full of boutique custom shit...and there's none of that "I just got a 4474k 890ti quad fan 4-way sli 1 second ago and wait! I gotta throw it all away cuz crysis 6 is out!! stuff.

I'll post about sound cards n' such tomorrow

Do you all talk in the same direction?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.