Single slot

Better 3d rendering (from drivers)

Last longer (tested before you get it)

10 bit color

Disadvantages of quadros:

expensive

Bad for gaming.

Those are all I can think of right now

Can someone explain the difference between the professional GPU's and consumer models? What makes a Quadro better for CAD, FEA, and CFD than a consumer level Nvidia or AMD card?

I am a mechanical engineer so I have a Quadro in my machine at work and I am trying to lay out plans for a personal build, I am not interested in using a Quadro in my personal rig but I realized I don't know why you would choose one over another. I assume it has to do with validation and perhaps how the computations are made on the card but that is no more than a guess on my part.

Any clarifications anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Can someone explain the difference between the professional GPU's and consumer models? What makes a Quadro better for CAD, FEA, and CFD than a consumer level Nvidia or AMD card?

I am a mechanical engineer so I have a Quadro in my machine at work and I am trying to lay out plans for a personal build, I am not interested in using a Quadro in my personal rig but I realized I don't know why you would choose one over another. I assume it has to do with validation and perhaps how the computations are made on the card but that is no more than a guess on my part.

quadros are for extreme editing and 3d modeling you would typically find them in game dev studios while consumer grade cards a are more for gaming and rendering and such   

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

As I know GPU's like quadro are meant for renderings & some similar work, while consumer GPUs like Geforce are meant for games.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

quadros are for extreme editing and 3d modeling you would typically find them in game dev studios while consumer grade cards a are more for gaming and rendering and such   

I understand they each have there perspective uses, I was more interested in what makes the Quadros better for 3d modeling or extreme editing?

Thanks for the speedy reply ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Quadros are meant for computing and strictly computing. You can't game for shit on them. Consumer GPUs are meant for rendering and gaming and are generally very bad at computing except for the Titan.

As I know GPU's like quadro are meant for renderings & some similar work, while consumer GPUs like Geforce are meant for games.

the geforce cards are amazing for editing because of the cuda if you were to go to major groups doing editing i bet you would see someone using a gtx card for the extra cuda cores 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I understand they each have there perspective uses, I was more interested in what makes the Quadros better for 3d modeling or extreme editing?

Thanks for the speedy reply ;)

I believe it's the drivers....and the different core or something don't quote me on that though :P

Completely off topic but mother of lord you are from where i used to live.

I believe it's the drivers....and the different core or something don't quote me on that though :P

I've heard multiple times that Nvidia and AMD will both optomize drivers for specific professional applications. I.E. if you use 3D studio max then your professional card will have its driver written with that exact piece of software in mind. You don't get that with consumer cards.

Also pro cards can have more memory. They are binned for better power efficiency, and hence are quieter, cooler, and will live longer under extreme use. Plus in some cases consumer cards may be nerfed to make the pro cards look better, but they are usually areas of performance that consumers don't care about such as double precision computer performance (no offense but most consumers probably don't even know what that means much less care).

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

internet-high-five_zpsd509f510.jpg

The high five is for TEA1337 BTW... I forgot to quote

professional cards have a lower profile than your average consumer card takes one slot vs 2 on a consumer card of similar spec and some can be converted to half height PCI-E. Professional cards usually will use ECC memory to prevent a 72-hour render from failing based on memory corruption, time to redo cost lots of money to the business.

unless you have a half hight small form factor pc at home and need 4 monitors from a single slot graphics card for productivity purposes rather than gaming, professional cards are best left for work applications.

hope this helps

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

I've heard multiple times that Nvidia and AMD will both optomize drivers for specific professional applications. I.E. if you use 3D studio max then your professional card will have its driver written with that exact piece of software in mind. You don't get that with consumer cards.

Also pro cards can have more memory. They are binned for better power efficiency, and hence are quieter, cooler, and will live longer under extreme use. Plus in some cases consumer cards may be nerfed to make the pro cards look better, but they are usually areas of performance that consumers don't care about such as double precision computer performance (no offense but most consumers probably don't even know what that means much less care).

Thanks! I was more curious than anything.

professional cards have a lower profile than your average consumer card takes one slot vs 2 on a consumer card of similar spec and some can be converted to half height PCI-E. Professional cards usually will use ECC memory to prevent a 72-hour render from failing based on memory corruption, time to redo cost lots of money to the business.

unless you have a half hight small form factor pc at home and need 4 monitors from a single slot graphics card for productivity purposes rather than gaming, professional cards are best left for work applications.

hope this helps

I never thought of that! But now that you mention it I do have three monitors running on a single slot Quadro in the office.

Professional cards usually will use ECC memory to prevent a 72-hour render from failing based on memory corruption, time to redo cost lots of money to the business.

I forgot about this point. I've also been curious about hardware vs software error correction. While not a safe bet for third party software I wonder if a bank of GPUs with software error checking could out strip an equivalent costing pro card. Just a thought, though probably not worth considering for most I imagine.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Advantages of quadros:

Single slot

Better 3d rendering (from drivers)

Last longer (tested before you get it)

10 bit color

Disadvantages of quadros:

expensive

Bad for gaming.

Those are all I can think of right now