Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

nvidia drivers

Un1verses
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Un1verses,
Just now, manikyath said:

just use latest drivers.

 

you'll get more of a performance increase not monitoring the framerate like an obsessed tinfoil hat than you'll get from "picking the best old drivers".

LMAO, i know that the newer drivers will perform better than older ones, but i don't want it to perform better in this game so you can have poor performance in this other one.

just trying to get the most out of my system. nonetheless, thanks for the help, i appreciate it and i will take your advice and stop being alex jones.

i recently saw that nvidia drivers actually downplayed the graphics cards and produced them to run worse resulting in fps drops and loss

I'm about to build a new pc and i'm wondering if the drivers have been updated or fixed from the sketchy ones i saw a couple weeks ago.

if you aren't sure, in your opinion what're the fastest drivers right now, are they the most recent or older ones?

i have a 1060 in case you're wondering.

willing to provide more details if needed, just let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Un1verses said:

i recently saw that nvidia drivers actually downplayed the graphics cards and produced them to run worse resulting in fps drops and loss

people claim this every time nvidia releases a new card.. i've yet to see it be actually true in any measurable way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, manikyath said:

people claim this every time nvidia releases a new card.. i've yet to see it be actually true in any measurable way.

i saw a video on it a while back, it was a decent drop of 10 fps, while that isn't alot, it could be a difference for lower end rigs if you know what i mean

here's the video.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Un1verses said:

i saw a video on it a while back, it was a decent drop of 10 fps, while that isn't alot, it could be a difference for lower end rigs if you know what i mean

here's the video.



 

may have been this exact one i sa someone dismantle completely.. its usually down to variables people didnt take into account, and the results taken way out of proportion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

may have been this exact one i sa someone dismantle completely.. its usually down to variables people didnt take into account, and the results taken way out of proportion.

for the most part it only seems to really effect some games, perhaps the drivers were put out to encourage upgrading to a newer generation. I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully decreased speeds on battlefield 5 to "encourage" people to upgrade to the newer rtx cards, which in my opinion are just prototypes being sold to the public.

this was really the only proof of concept i've seen of something like this before, so i came here to ask if anyone has noticed it as well on even newer driver versions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Un1verses said:

for the most part it only seems to really effect some games, perhaps the drivers were put out to encourage upgrading to a newer generation. I wouldn't be surprised if they purposefully decreased speeds on battlefield 5 to "encourage" people to upgrade to the newer rtx cards, which in my opinion are just prototypes being sold to the public.

this was really the only proof of concept i've seen of something like this before, so i came here to ask if anyone has noticed it as well on even newer driver versions.

it mostly seems to effect some games, because those "some games" were effected by other fixes, primarily coming to mind are spectre/meltdown patches.

 

or to put this with a singular real world example: my GTX 970 has seen some slight ups and downs with driver updates across the time i've owned it, but the experience i have now (two releases past when i got it) is notably better than what it was when i bought it new.

 

and on that note, GPU manufacturers are the golden standard for long term device support, they provide updates for their cards pretty much longer than any other form of hardware out there, it may not always be with the most focus on the specific card you have, but at least they still provide *something* for it, rather than leaving you rot with drivers from 2005, like *some other* hardware manufacturers feel perfectly fine doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

it mostly seems to effect some games, because those "some games" were effected by other fixes, primarily coming to mind are spectre/meltdown patches.

 

or to put this with a singular real world example: my GTX 970 has seen some slight ups and downs with driver updates across the time i've owned it, but the experience i have now (two releases past when i got it) is notably better than what it was when i bought it new.

 

and on that note, GPU manufacturers are the golden standard for long term device support, they provide updates for their cards pretty much longer than any other form of hardware out there, it may not always be with the most focus on the specific card you have, but at least they still provide *something* for it, rather than leaving you rot with drivers from 2005, like *some other* hardware manufacturers feel perfectly fine doing.

yeah i get it, but i don't want to have drivers that perform less than a previous version, ya know? im sure most people don't either, i'm not entirely certain on how often these "spectre/meltdown patches" occur but generally i don't care about games i don't play. So long as the drops aren't across the board on a majority, then i really don't care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Un1verses said:

yeah i get it, but i don't want to have drivers that perform less than a previous version, ya know? im sure most people don't either, i'm not entirely certain on how often these "spectre/meltdown patches" occur but generally i don't care about games i don't play. So long as the drops aren't across the board on a majority, then i really don't care.

just use latest drivers.

 

you'll get more of a performance increase not monitoring the framerate like an obsessed tinfoil hat than you'll get from "picking the best old drivers".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, manikyath said:

just use latest drivers.

 

you'll get more of a performance increase not monitoring the framerate like an obsessed tinfoil hat than you'll get from "picking the best old drivers".

LMAO, i know that the newer drivers will perform better than older ones, but i don't want it to perform better in this game so you can have poor performance in this other one.

just trying to get the most out of my system. nonetheless, thanks for the help, i appreciate it and i will take your advice and stop being alex jones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Un1verses said:

LMAO, i know that the newer drivers will perform better than older ones, but i don't want it to perform better in this game so you can have poor performance in this other one.

just trying to get the most out of my system. nonetheless, thanks for the help, i appreciate it and i will take your advice and stop being alex jones.

comingn from someone who knowingly sacrifices about 10% performance for monitoring.. an FPS counter is probably the most widely spread placebo effect in gaming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

comingn from someone who knowingly sacrifices about 10% performance for monitoring.. an FPS counter is probably the most widely spread placebo effect in gaming.

for monitoring? like having multiple monitors or something else? and now that you mention it, with an fps counter i find myself looking at it more often, and when it's off its never on my mind, and i can play without worrying about minor drops, if that makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Un1verses said:

for monitoring? like having multiple monitors or something else? and now that you mention it, with an fps counter i find myself looking at it more often, and when it's off its never on my mind, and i can play without worrying about minor drops, if that makes sense.

monitoring = keeping an eye on system performance and resource usage.

 

and to pull out a factual example, if i recall it was between the launch day GTX1060 vs RX480, where the RX180 scored higher fps numbers, but the GTX1060 had much more constant framerates, so it had the overal smoother experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, manikyath said:

monitoring = keeping an eye on system performance and resource usage.

 

and to pull out a factual example, if i recall it was between the launch day GTX1060 vs RX480, where the RX180 scored higher fps numbers, but the GTX1060 had much more constant framerates, so it had the overal smoother experience.

well my 1060 is currently bottlenecked for the sake of future expansion when i bought it a year ago on launch, never had time or money to expand until black friday deals, fx 6300 to 1600x, im a happy man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×