30+ PoE switch and/or NVR

tautvydas

okay so like the title says i'm looking for PoE switch and/or NVR that can support  running 30+ IP cameras at the same time

is there any such devices available or is it possible to go 2x 24/16 port PoE switches  that connect to one 30+ ports NVR and work that way ?

i will also need to record all data into servers so ~30 cameras + fiew ports for servers managment etc. is there any suggestions i could get ?

Since all poe switches are limited by power and not the number of connections the question is:

What power do the IP camera's draw? Do you know the model number?

Look for a 48 port switch that can do about 1100 watts of PoE power. That gives you ~30 watts per port max

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Since all poe switches are limited by power and not the number of connections the question is:

What power do the IP camera's draw? Do you know the model number?

yeah i just realised that is the problem , the project i'm doing is really far away , so i got the task of getting the more expensive stuff ahead, like mentioned PoE switch while cameras will go later

also just realised that going 48 ports is better since they are cheaper/more available

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Look for a 48 port switch that can do about 1100 watts of PoE power. That gives you ~30 watts per port max

that seems like a lot, from what iv heard most cameras use up like 15 watts , or is that out of date kind of information ?

1 minute ago, tautvydas said:

that seems like a lot, from what iv heard most cameras use up like 15 watts , or is that out of date kind of information ?

Depends, normal camera without heating will be around 10-11W (and if that is a ques dependent on brand, ect ect)

Poe+ camera's will draw even more. But like i said, you need to know what camera's are there.

For example if its only indoor camera's then an af poe switch will be fine. Are there outdoor and speeddomes then you could run into at poe requirementts.

2 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Depends, normal camera without heating will be around 10-11W (and if that is a ques dependent on brand, ect ect)

Poe+ camera's will draw even more. But like i said, you need to know what camera's are there.

For example if its only indoor camera's then an af poe switch will be fine. Are there outdoor and speeddomes then you could run into at poe requirementts.

oh i see, guess i'll need to look more into PoE+ stuff then

from what iv seen , currently all cameras are analog based and are controlled with dvr , seen some of the cameras are routed outside too , so i guess i'll have to go and ask around if outside ones are going to be replaced then

1 minute ago, tautvydas said:

oh i see, guess i'll need to look more into PoE+ stuff then

from what iv seen , currently all cameras are analog based and are controlled with dvr , seen some of the cameras are routed outside too , so i guess i'll have to go and ask around if outside ones are going to be replaced then

Well, from the sound of it you will also have to factor in cabling, as analog camera's are usually connected with a coax cable.

So either replace the cable with cat5/6 or look into camera's / nvr's that support digital over coax. 

You can even push POE over a cax cable with converters at both end. In the past i used Axis for that. But there might be cheaper solutions for that.  

Moral of this story: Do some research first before you order anything. I never take a job without going there and walking it through. So many surprises caught that way :D 

2 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Well, from the sound of it you will also have to factor in cabling, as analog camera's are usually connected with a coax cable.

So either replace the cable with cat5/6 or look into camera's / nvr's that support digital over coax. 

You can even push POE over a cax cable with converters at both end. In the past i used Axis for that. But there might be cheaper solutions for that.  

Moral of this story: Do some research first before you order anything. I never take a job without going there and walking it through. So many surprises caught that way :D 

i was shown around a bit , and since im not with some kind of firm or anything but just a student that will do some "practice" there, its not exactly like a job for me :D

iv been told that they will try to replace all coax cameras with ip cameras, they know they will need to redo their wiring , and installing some new ones where there were no cameras before.

also i will not be ordering anything, everything will be bough by them , i just need to do research and find optimal gear that can be used there.

also just a random question but i dont think there is a way to make an nvr work with coax and ip cameras at the same time right ?

18 minutes ago, tautvydas said:

i was shown around a bit , and since im not with some kind of firm or anything but just a student that will do some "practice" there, its not exactly like a job for me :D

iv been told that they will try to replace all coax cameras with ip cameras, they know they will need to redo their wiring , and installing some new ones where there were no cameras before.

also i will not be ordering anything, everything will be bough by them , i just need to do research and find optimal gear that can be used there.

also just a random question but i dont think there is a way to make an nvr work with coax and ip cameras at the same time right ?

There are models that support this. I’ve seen NVRs that had one ethernet port supporting a certain number of IP cameras based on the hardware specs, and also had 8 or so coax inputs. Be careful with new NVRs to make sure they accept analog video, the industry has moved to digital video over coax (in additional to IP cameras) and some units have coax ports that accept digital only, not analog.

EDIT: and for some switch advice, make sure you get one that it at least Smart (meaning it has a web interface) or better yet a managed switch (meaning it has a command line interface you can SSH into, most still also have a web interface). If you buy a dumb switch then you won’t be able to reboot a camera remotely, something that is more commonly required with IP cameras than analog ones.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 11/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, brwainer said:

EDIT: and for some switch advice, make sure you get one that it at least Smart (meaning it has a web interface) or better yet a managed switch (meaning it has a command line interface you can SSH into, most still also have a web interface). If you buy a dumb switch then you won’t be able to reboot a camera remotely, something that is more commonly required with IP cameras than analog ones.

Regarding the switch. I would really recommend looking at something proper enterprise grade (The likes of Cisco/Aruba/etc). 500+ poe watts is a lot to ask from a switch and a lot of poe powered devices on that single switch. I would personally, and certainly if its far away not trust a Netgear/TP-link/Ubnt something for this job. I have also seen manufacturers not implement some simple safeties regarding poe on their switch so if something goes wrong all 30 cameras and the switch.  

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler