Which system should I go for?

skillz22

I have two PCs that I can buy, each one has Xeon CPUs and are old workstations.

System 1:

CPU: Xeon E5-2650 v2

GPU: FirePro v4900 1GB

RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB PC3 4900 DDR3)

Storage: 1TB Samsung EVO 840 SSD

System 2:

CPU: Xeon E5-1620

GPU: 2GB Quadro K2000

RAM: 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 ECC RDIMM

Storage: 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

Could someone please give a brief analysis of these two sets of parts, including their aging, price and performance drop over time, etc.? (I'm pretty new to this, so I have no knowledge of old system parts like this.) Also, could someone please tell me what "PC3 4900" and "ECC RDIMM" mean? The GPU is the only thing that performs better on System 2, which means that System 2 is a couple hundred bucks cheaper than System 1. Without upgrading any parts, is System 1 worth the extra money I will have to pay for it? If you have some other recommendations, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

Clearly that E5-2650 v2 will be better due to the fact that it has 8 cores/16 threads and 20mb cache instead of 4 cores/8threads and only 10mb cache. In my opinion S1 is better than the S2 and it's worth the extra money not only for the CPU but also for the SSD that comes with the system and the 32gigs of DDR3 memory. 

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Just now, R3ep3r said:

Clearly that E5-2650 v2 will be better due to the fact that it has 8 cores/16 threads and 20mb cache instead of 4 cores/8threads and only 10mb cache. In my opinion S1 is better than the S2 and it's worth the extra money not only for the CPU but also for the SSD that comes with the system and the 32gigs of DDR3 memory. 

Thank you for that info!

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What will you be using the pc's for?

General use, nothing too heavy. Web browsing, word processing, very occasional video editing... Not gaming or anything. So I'm basically looking for something that is snappy, can handle a metric ton of chrome tabs. So S1 would definitely help with the extra ram (even though 16 gigs should be plenty). Also, how much of a difference can I expect between the two graphics cards.?

I'd go for the first one, if only because of that 1tb SSD. That's stupid good.

Not familiar with the rest of the specs, but I'd expect the CPU in the first one is a decent chunk better. 32 gb of RAM is overkill, but could always sell excess off if need be.

GPU seems to be worse, but with the light stuff you're doing that shouldn't matter.

8 hours ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

I'd go for the first one, if only because of that 1tb SSD. That's stupid good.

Not familiar with the rest of the specs, but I'd expect the CPU in the first one is a decent chunk better. 32 gb of RAM is overkill, but could always sell excess off if need be.

GPU seems to be worse, but with the light stuff you're doing that shouldn't matter.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)