Anything more tactile, but still quiet like Browns, for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by geo3,

MX Clear, Zealios, Outemu Sky v2.1 or v2.2, Kailh Box Royal (or any of their box switches, but the Royal is the most tactile).

It's quite difficult to find boards with these switches in them however. You can either build a custom, or go with a hotswapable keyboard. If you're not used to soldering then I definitely recommend going hotswap. 

The GMMK, https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized, is a really nice hotswap option. The have both fullsize and TLK.

So in my hunt for a new KB, I've deced (so far) on Browns. I want a tactile switch, but it needs to be reasonably quiet so as not to wake my GF at night.

I haven't tried a Brown yet. But I grew up using the old IBM style KB's and have tried blues as well, and I love the tactility feel, they're just too damn loud unfortunately. We also game, so a design like a Blue isn't ideal. I've come to the conclusion that a Brown switch design is best, but have read they don't really feel that tactile.

Never rub another man's rhubarb!

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

Red Switch

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Red Switch

Can you elaborate some more? Reds are considered linear switches, while I'm looking for a tactile switch.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

ok maybe you'll be looking for the clear one, but i haven't seen one yet, it's very rare.

people just opt for the blues, browns and reds mostly.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

ok maybe you'll be looking for the clear one, but i haven't seen one yet, it's very rare.

people just opt for the blues, browns and reds mostly.

Thanks, but I already pretty much knew all that. Clears are too heavy, which is why I was asking about Browns.

Maybe I should be more clear, a quiet, more tactile switch alternative to the Cherry and Kailhs. Or, which is more tactile when compared, cherry or kailh?

I don't want linear, or anything heavy like the clears. I want that tactile "bump", without the noise of blues, blacks or greens.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

MX Clear, Zealios, Outemu Sky v2.1 or v2.2, Kailh Box Royal (or any of their box switches, but the Royal is the most tactile).

It's quite difficult to find boards with these switches in them however. You can either build a custom, or go with a hotswapable keyboard. If you're not used to soldering then I definitely recommend going hotswap. 

The GMMK, https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized, is a really nice hotswap option. The have both fullsize and TLK.

3 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

Thanks, but I already pretty much knew all that. Clears are too heavy, which is why I was asking about Browns.

Maybe I should be more clear, a quiet, more tactile switch alternative to the Cherry and Kailhs. Or, which is more tactile when compared, cherry or kailh?

I don't want linear, or anything heavy like the clears. I want that tactile "bump", without the noise of blues, blacks or greens.

If Clears are too heavy then 62g Zealios are a nice choice. They are about as heavy as a MX Brown but more tactile. 

Kailh is pretty much a cherry clone. So its should be the same.

I've never tested all of the switches, myself used blue kailh, tested browns and reds, preferred the blue (i codes).

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

yeah if you can't find one, build one.

it's more satisfying.

9 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Kailh is pretty much a cherry clone. So its should be the same.

I've never tested all of the switches, myself used blue kailh, tested browns and reds, preferred the blue (i codes).

The Box switches are quite different. The tactile bump is much higher and more pronounced than on Cherrys. 

:)

Thanks guys. I don't have much spare time these days, otherwise I would love to build my own. I'll look into hotswap option.

Anybody know of a hotswappable KB with a volume control and red or RGB lighting?

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

22 hours ago, geo3 said:

If Clears are too heavy then 62g Zealios are a nice choice. They are about as heavy as a MX Brown but more tactile. 

I take it you're speaking of 62g Purples? Have you ever had a chance to compare them personally to MX Browns?

I think I read that Kailh Browns are a little more tactile than Cherrys. Can anybody confirm this?

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

1 minute ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

I take it you're speaking of 62g Purples? Have you ever had a chance to compare them personally to MX Browns?

I think I read that Kailh Browns are a little more tactile than Cherrys. Can anybody confirm this?

They are purple, but no one call's them that.  Yes I have compared them. I have a few boards with Zealios in them. Also have Cherry browns in a switch tester.

Yes Kailh Browns are somewhat sharper, they are also heavier than Cherry.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

They are purple, but no one call's them that.  Yes I have compared them. I have a few boards with Zealios in them. Also have Cherry browns in a switch tester.

Yes Kailh Browns are somewhat sharper, they are also heavier than Cherry.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Can you point me to a good site that can explain to me what "stabs" are exactly and why I might want to replace them?

I'm really diggin that GMMK, even though it doesn't have a volume control. The reviews look good, and total price after switches and caps would still be within what I'd want to budget for a new KB. And the ability to swap out a switch if it goes bad is awesome, even though I doubt I'd ever have to.

And just to clarify, I'm looking for a fullsize KB. I'd go crazy without my numpad.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

11 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

Can you point me to a good site that can explain to me what "stabs" are exactly and why I might want to replace them?

Short for stabilizer. It's a mechanism that goes under the longer switches like space, shift, enter and backspace. These keys are too long to be supported by just their switch. Without a stabilizer if you pressed them anywhere but dead center it would torque the key and mess up the press and possibly damage the key over time. The stabilizer evenly distributes the force across the key no matter where you press it.   

People mod them because bad ones can mess with the feel or sound of those longer keys. Most commonly people lube them to get rid of the rattle. Out right replacing them without completely disassembling the keyboard is very difficult. Worrying about stabs is a very nitpicky thing that enthusiasts do. If you never noticed this before I wouldn't give it a second thought. 

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Stabiliser

13 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Short for stabilizer. It's a mechanism that goes under the longer switches like space, shift, enter and backspace. These keys are too long to be supported by just their switch. Without a stabilizer if you pressed them anywhere but dead center it would torque the key and mess up the press and possibly damage the key over time. The stabilizer evenly distributes the force across the key no matter where you press it.   

People mod them because bad ones can mess with the feel or sound of those longer keys. Most commonly people lube them to get rid of the rattle. Out right replacing them without completely disassembling the keyboard is very difficult. Worrying about stabs is a very nitpicky thing that enthusiasts do. If you never noticed this before I wouldn't give it a second thought. 

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Stabiliser

Ok, I know what the stabilizer is, stab for short obviously. Messed with those plent of times on different keyboards requiring cleaning. A bit of a PITA to deal with at times.

KBDfans has a 20 switch tactile tester for $16 - https://kbdfans.cn/collections/switches-tester/products/tactile-switches-tester

Might be in my best interest to buy it before deciding on what switch I want. You've been very informative and sent me in the right direction, as opposed to just talking to other people about how certain keys "feel".?

Is there a certain type of keycap I should look for if I use Zelios switches?

I didn't realize how much I missed mech kbs until I was at microcenter a couple weeks back and played with some displays briefly. Very satisfying "feel" as opposed to the mushy dome/membrane I've become so used to.

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

3 minutes ago, Compassionate Homicide said:

Ok, I know what the stabilizer is, stab for short obviously. Messed with those plent of times on different keyboards requiring cleaning. A bit of a PITA to deal with at times.

KBDfans has a 20 switch tactile tester for $16 - https://kbdfans.cn/collections/switches-tester/products/tactile-switches-tester

Might be in my best interest to buy it before deciding on what switch I want. You've been very informative and sent me in the right direction, as opposed to just talking to other people about how certain keys "feel".?

Is there a certain type of keycap I should look for if I use Zelios switches?

I didn't realize how much I missed mech kbs until I was at microcenter a couple weeks back and played with some displays briefly. Very satisfying "feel" as opposed to the mushy dome/membrane I've become so used to.

Yep, I'd get a switch tester. This is how started out before I ever bought a whole keyboard. That KBDfans one is nice. Another option would be https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/switch-testers where you can customize it and pick the exact keys you want to test.

Zealios are compatible with any keycap meant for Chery MX switches, which is 99% of what is out there. The GMMK comes with caps if you choose to add them. I can't speak to the quality of those caps, never felt them personally, though you'll probably find something nicer on KBDfans.