Buy now or wait for a price drop? (Yes, yet another topic)

paprikman

Hi, dear community.

I've been a bit off this gpu race for a while, so I know literally nothing about current situation on the market.

My gpu is gtx 760 2gb, got it precisely 4 years ago.

Is it worth it to get anything right now, or wait for some prices to drop? I've heard that this mining rush is slowing down now.

I'm doing 1080p@60hz right now, but I'm planning to go for 2k@60hz in some near future. No AAA titles, no CS:GO or other stuff though.

I can drop around $ 500 +- 20 right now on a gpu. Used cards are not considered since I can't tell good deals from the bad ones.

Thanks a lot for your help!

P.S. It's Russia, so the prices are as insane as they are in Australia.

2 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Hi, dear community.

I've been a bit off this gpu race for a while, so I know literally nothing about current situation on the market.

My gpu is gtx 760 2gb, got it precisely 4 years ago.

Is it worth it to get anything right now, or wait for some prices to drop? I've heard that this mining rush is slowing down now.

I'm doing 1080p@60hz right now, but I'm planning to go for 2k@60hz in some near future. No AAA titles, no CS:GO or other stuff though.

I can drop around $ 500 +- 20 right now on a gpu. Used cards are not considered since I can't tell good deals from the bad ones.

Thanks a lot for your help!

P.S. It's Russia, so the prices are as insane as they are in Australia.

you could buy a 1070ti 

3 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

you could buy a 1070ti 

Sure, but I think it's a bit overkill for me. Though I'm considering this one. Thanks!

2k60 will need a better GPU and that's indeed the 1070Ti. Overkill is nothing but bullshit, sorry to say that but you can never have enough of GPU power.

And you can still go 2k60 on your current 1080p monitor by enabling DSR in nVidia Control Panel.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

16 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

2k60 will need a better GPU and that's indeed the 1070Ti. Overkill is nothing but bullshit, sorry to say that but you can never have enough of GPU power.

And you can still go 2k60 on your current 1080p monitor by enabling DSR in nVidia Control Panel.

Yeah, you're right, but since I don't play any AAA-ish games, I don't really need anything extensive. My current display has washed-out colours, so I will replace it soon anyways.

I think I will just go with gtx 1060 and put 'saved' money on top of those saved for a new monitor.

The main question though was if I should expect some price drops soon, so...

Thanks anyways!

1 minute ago, paprikman said:

Yeah, you're right, but since I don't play any AAA-ish games, I don't really need anything extensive. My current display has washed-out colours, so I will replace it soon anyways.

I think I will just go with gtx 1060 and put 'saved' money on top of those saved for a new monitor.

The main question though was if I should expect some price drops soon, so...

Thanks anyways!

Not sure about the price drops. nVidia has fucked it up by favoring the miners and now they are left with too much 1060's because that GPU was the most popular GPU for miners and the GTX2060 are delayed till beginning of 2019. The 1080Ti has gotten the price increase and soon 1080 probably too and it's not very sure what will happen to 1070Ti.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Not sure about the price drops. nVidia has fucked it up by favoring the miners and now they are left with too much 1060's because that GPU was the most popular GPU for miners and the GTX2060 are delayed till beginning of 2019. The 1080Ti has gotten the price increase and soon 1080 probably too and it's not very sure what will happen to 1070Ti.

I've also heard about this thing, though some people (yeah, rumors) say, that because mining is less popular now, "the prices should drop". And yet I see no reason for that, since each year there's a huge price increase in last 2 weeks of december, which never goes away after January 1st. This is why I decided to get it this weekend.

1 minute ago, paprikman said:

I've also heard about this thing, though some people (yeah, rumors) say, that because mining is less popular now, "the prices should drop". And yet I see no reason for that, since each year there's a huge price increase in last 2 weeks of december, which never goes away after January 1st. This is why I decided to get it this weekend.

The problem is the greed of the companies. Companies like nVidia relied too much on the minig bullshit, just like AMD relied too much on the mining and it caused them to oversupply the GPU's back in 2013-2015 if I'm right. And YET nVidia didn't learn from that lesson.

People laughed at me when I said the retailers and GPU designers will get so used to higher price because of the mining hype, they'll stay at asking higher prices and see where we are: $1400 for RTX2080Ti while the 1080Ti was used to be around $799-$849 when it was released.

DAC/AMPs: