Can you do a mixed metal loop with a Mineral oil pc?

Basically I wanted to do a budget mineral oil PC, and was wondering whether you can use a copper pump with an aluminum pump?

you don't put mineral oil in a loop PERIOD, it's to thick to pump like that and will burn out your pump faster and you would get WORSE temperatures because it's to thick to properly flow through the micro-channels on the blocks , Mineral Oil is for submerging components into, not for filling a loop.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

you don't put mineral oil in a loop PERIOD, it's to thick to pump like that and will burn out your pump faster and you would get WORSE temperatures because it's to thick to properly flow through the micro-channels on the blocks , Mineral Oil is for submerging components into, not for filling a loop.

Sorry, I misphrased it. I meant to say a mineral oil submergedPC, like Linus did,

2 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

Sorry, I misphrased it. I meant to say a mineral oil submergedPC, like Linus did,

then why are you talking about a loop? there would be no "loop" in a submerged setup and there are multiple different metals in his submerged setup.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

then why are you talking about a loop? there would be no "loop" in a submerged setup and there are multiple different metals in his submerged setup.

Oh ok. I was referring to the pump and rad. I just used the wrong terms.

7 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

Oh ok. I was referring to the pump and rad. I just used the wrong terms.

I had to go back, totally forgot they used a pump and rad setup to cool the mineral oil on that old thing.

I doubt you have a lot of choices in both pumps and rads that can actually handle moving mineral oil through them, Mineral Oil and "budget" aren't really things that go together, you either have the money to do it right or you will have major issues, it seams even the cases purpose made for this end up having issues after a while.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

I had to go back, totally forgot they used a pump and rad setup to cool the mineral oil on that old thing.

I doubt you have a lot of choices in both pumps and rads that can actually handle moving mineral oil through them, Mineral Oil and "budget" aren't really things that go together, you either have the money to do it right or you will have major issues, it seams even the cases purpose made for this end up having issues after a while.

Ah ok. Thanks for the help!

17 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

i think just for fun one day, you should take a small bottle of mineral oil and put ti through a d5 or ddc...

its not the best idea, esp long term if you don't change the seal (o-ring/gasket whatever your setup uses)  But there is no reason a d5 or ddc cant pump oil, or other  bad shit.

it is an industrial pump..   have you ever seen the original D5's that came in brass housings, run at 24V and move more fluid?  i guess they are not so much original but  made to different specs/tolerances

17 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

Ah ok. Thanks for the help!

you should be fine, esp with the lower actual temperatures.  Mineral oil is used to coat metal and seal its surface from oxidation (rust in its true name)  and SO  being filled with suspension of minerals that don't  conduct means that you should have virtually zero chance of galvanic corrosion.

1 minute ago, Neo-revo said:

it is an industrial pump..   have you ever seen the original D5's that came in brass housings, run at 24V and move more fluid?  i guess they are not so much original but  made to different specs/tolerances

kinda my point, the ones spec'd for regular loops probably aren't up to the task longterm, it's a much thicker fluid, higher voltage allows higher Torque from the motor. lets put it this way, I've never seen a D5 or DDC used on a Mineral Oil PC, they use much larger pumps rated at like a D5 tops out at like 25 Liters Per Minute, the pumps I've seen considered as the LOW END for Mineral Oil are rated at 80 Liters per Minute (more then 3 times that of the D5).

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

kinda my point, the ones spec'd for regular loops probably aren't up to the task longterm, it's a much thicker fluid, higher voltage allows higher Torque from the motor. lets put it this way, I've never seen a D5 or DDC used on a Mineral Oil PC, they use much larger pumps rated at like a D5 tops out at like 25 Liters Per Minute, the pumps I've seen considered as the LOW END for Mineral Oil are rated at 80 Liters per Minute (more then 3 times that of the D5).

they used a regular ddc in his fishtank build, and i dont mean that OP will need a more powerful pump.. i was simply referring to the origins of DDC/D5 in scientific/industrial settings.

brass instead of plastic, although nylon could handle oil well, and either NPT taper fittings or some o-ring that could handle it...