Files remain after format?

Pencil_

Just did a format of one of my hard drives in Windows using Disk Management, I selected not to do a quick format and proceeded, just out of curiosity I scanned the drive with Kaspersky and it says 4 files scanned but I don't see any files on the drive, I've ticked to show Hidden Items so I'm kinda at a loss. Is it a normal thing to see files with a virus scanner but do not appear in Windows Explorer? I had the same thing with a USB Flash drive I formatted, full format but Kaspersky said after the scan that there were a few files left.

I'm at a loss, any help is much appreciated thanks 

lk.png

w1.png

Not sure why Kaspersky would say so... But if you wonder what happens to a file once it is deleted, well pretty much is not totally deleted, it only becomes marked or listed as a trash file that can be erased in case more storage is required for new more files, that's why there are existing options to recover your data once it has been deleted from the trash can, and that's also why the first recommendation in those cases is not to use the drive anymore to increase the chances to get the file you are interested recovered. With that said, as opposed the HDDs, the storage chips do delete everything, so your USB Flash drive shouldn't have anything left after formatting. Instead of a quick format try the full format, it may last hours depending on the capacity.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

That's the thing, I unticked the box that said quick format on both occasions, so I'm kinda at a loss.

12 minutes ago, Pencil_ said:

That's the thing, I unticked the box that said quick format on both occasions, so I'm kinda at a loss.

Did you also checkmark the "Hide System Files" option inside File Explorer's options panel? Keep in mind that I've seen some security programs actually count the MBR & boot sector or file descriptor table as a file, even though they really shouldn't since they're not normally ever visible to the user. 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Right click on the device and choose "Format":

Imagen relacionada

And then choose to format as NTFS, if the full format gets completed I wouldn't worry about what Kaspersky is saying. 

Resultado de imagen para format with windows

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming