MSI GTX 970 SLI

immolo

I built my gaming rig in 2016 with at the time the best card for performance to money being the MSI GTX 970 and have been able to play with ultra settings in all games I like to play but one game I've never been able to play is Assassin Creed Origins. Well I can play at 45fps on medium settings but you know what it's like.

So my question I was always told 3 years with your graphic card in ultra with the option to SLI two when the price drops for an extra two years. I can pick a secondhand model of the same card for around £80-100 is this going to be worth it? as the 2080 is pretty steep and a 1080 still sell for a premium which won't last me as long anyway.

If AC:Origins actually scales somewhat well with SLI, you'll see a benefit.

If the game however does not scale with SLI, then you won't see a benefit and you would have been better off just buying a better card such as a 980 or 980Ti.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I'll check that out but when I started comparing the 970 to the 980 when I planned this build I was noticing gaming benchmark differences of a maximum 5 fps extra which to me didn't seem worth the extra £200. If this isn't the case then it's something else I can look into

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If AC:Origins actually scales somewhat well with SLI, you'll see a benefit.

If the game however does not scale with SLI, then you won't see a benefit and you would have been better off just buying a better card such as a 980 or 980Ti.

^^^^. Not to mention SLI can be quirky, some games run horribly with it even when they're supposed to be smooth. Then it can vary system by system too, ROTTR ran horrifically on my SLI 1080s with my R7 2700X, but in my 8600K system they're fine. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just looked this up and origin has terrible SLI support so this answers my question thanks for giving me this lead as I was unaware newer games had trouble in SLI mode.

Ubisoft can't optimize for a single GPU, don't expect them to know how to do SLI xD

New games that are not from Ubisoft are mostly fine.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones