Black Friday new PC build...$1450

Stottart

Hey everybody!

I'm planning a new build.  I've had my computer for about 7 years now with almost no upgrades.  With black Friday upon us, now is the time for me to create a new build.

I will be using this for two main things...

1) gaming ( everything from pubg, to Dirt , to assassins creed odyssey etc.)

2) creating art ( using photoshop, zbrush, maya, substance painter and marvelous designer)

-My budget is fairly tight...at  no more than $1450, meaning I can't creep above that price :)

-I'm in the United states

-im using 2 basic 1080p 24' monitors

here is what I'm thinking

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Stottart/saved/BTnKBm

I'm very flexible with the parts and brands, but I prefer good warranties.

A few things to consider with that list. 

- already ordered a meshify c from Amazon for $75, I'm just waiting for it to ship. (The case is part of the budget)

-I would prefer a vega 64 or gtx 1080, but I haven't found any great deals (besides the blower style vega 64 out there) so I might have to settle with a 1070ti

-that motherboard listed is supposedly going on sale for about $100  on Black friday.  ( https://www.theblackfriday.com/newegg-black-friday-ad.shtml?page=6 )

Thanks ahead of time, I'm sure I will be making slight adjustments as I recieve your feedback and see deals pop up during the week.

- tyler

If you wanted to slim it down a bit I would go with a Ryzen 2700 (instead of the 2700X) and get rid of one of the two memory kits, but those are mainly just price recomendations.

If you do want to stick with 32 GB of ram though, I'd find a kit that is 4x8GB instead of 2 2x8 kits, reason being that it would potentially be cheaper, and you then know for sure that the memory is designed to work in a kit of 4.

As for the GPU, are you planning on doing any overclocking? the 1070ti can come close to the performance of a stock 1080 when overclocked (in some games), and even if not, I have a number of friends with 1070ti's and they're pretty pleased with them. Either way though, just don't get a blower style Vega ?

CPU: Intel i7 6850K (4GHz core 1.34V, 3.5GHz cache 1.39V)  | Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4 (2800MHz 14-15-15-32 1.45V) | GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 FE x2 (+Vega 56 w/ Vega 64 Bios for Folding/Mining) | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | Case: Corsair 900D (Modded to fit a third GPU mounted vertically) | Cooler: Corsair H110i w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14's (+4x Corsair case fans) | Storage: OS: Intel 750 SSD 400GB Fast Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Deep Storage: WD Black 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p @ 165Hz) + Insignia (1080@60Hz)

3 minutes ago, Invaderzim117 said:

If you wanted to slim it down a bit I would go with a Ryzen 2700 (instead of the 2700X) and get rid of one of the two memory kits, but those are mainly just price recomendations.

If you do want to stick with 32 GB of ram though, I'd find a kit that is 4x8GB instead of 2 2x8 kits, reason being that it would potentially be cheaper, and you then know for sure that the memory is designed to work in a kit of 4.

As for the GPU, are you planning on doing any overclocking? the 1070ti can come close to the performance of a stock 1080 when overclocked (in some games), and even if not, I have a number of friends with 1070ti's and they're pretty pleased with them. Either way though, just don't get a blower style Vega ?

Thanks for the input...

I think that I want to stick with 32gb ram because it'll be super beneficial for some of the art programs I'll be using.  I'll look into the 4x8 sticks though, that's a great idea.

I've heard great things about the 1070ti, so that just might be the best option unless something pops up during the week.

16 minutes ago, Stottart said:

Thanks for the input...

I think that I want to stick with 32gb ram because it'll be super beneficial for some of the art programs I'll be using.  I'll look into the 4x8 sticks though, that's a great idea.

I've heard great things about the 1070ti, so that just might be the best option unless something pops up during the week.

Are you planning any Monitor upgrades? I ask because the system seems both overkill and unbalanced for 1080p gaming but probably unpowered if you think you are going to need a lot of CPU cores.

22 minutes ago, Stottart said:

I'll look into the 4x8 sticks though

Look at the qualified vendor list for the motherboard, those will be kits tested and approved to work at the rated speeds for Ryzen. I know there's some challenge trying to get memory to run higher than 3000 MHz typically on Ryzen so I would start there, and just google the model numbers of the kits.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

1080p gaming

Ohh I didn't catch the 1080p monitors, a 1070ti is a tad bit overkill for 1080p gaming unless you want high refresh rates. If you wanted to switch to 1440p @ 60Hz a 1070ti would still work though

CPU: Intel i7 6850K (4GHz core 1.34V, 3.5GHz cache 1.39V)  | Motherboard: ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4 (2800MHz 14-15-15-32 1.45V) | GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 FE x2 (+Vega 56 w/ Vega 64 Bios for Folding/Mining) | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | Case: Corsair 900D (Modded to fit a third GPU mounted vertically) | Cooler: Corsair H110i w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14's (+4x Corsair case fans) | Storage: OS: Intel 750 SSD 400GB Fast Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Deep Storage: WD Black 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p @ 165Hz) + Insignia (1080@60Hz)

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Are you planning any Monitor upgrades? I ask because the system seems both overkill and unbalanced for 1080p gaming but probably unpowered if you think you are going to need a lot of CPU cores.

I don't have specific plans in the immediate future of getting a new monitor, but I would like to future proof this PC for the many years ahead.

Can you describe what you mean by  " probably unpowered if you think you are going to need a lot of CPU cores"   ...thanks

5 minutes ago, Invaderzim117 said:

Ohh I didn't catch the 1080p monitors, a 1070ti is a tad bit overkill for 1080p gaming unless you want high refresh rates. If you wanted to switch to 1440p @ 60Hz a 1070ti would still work though

I'm hoping to future proof a bit   but perhaps a 1060 would be sufficient?   Or maybe there is an AMD card that would do a good job at a good price point for 1080?

2 minutes ago, Stottart said:

I don't have specific plans in the immediate future of getting a new monitor, but I would like to future proof this PC for the many years ahead.

Can you describe what you mean by  " probably unpowered if you think you are going to need a lot of CPU cores"   ...thanks

If your workload can use all 8 cores, then it likely can use even more. Which would suggest moving to a HEDT platform with simply more cores.

If it really doesn't, then something like this makes more sense:

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Daaaang, I didnt think I could afford a threadripper in my budget range...I'll need to do a bit of quick research in regards to the threadripper.

I do worry a little that the 1060 will struggle with newer games especially in the next year or two.

What do you think?

1 minute ago, Stottart said:

Daaaang, I didnt think I could afford a threadripper in my budget range...I'll need to do a bit of quick research in regards to the threadripper.

I do worry a little that the 1060 will struggle with newer games especially in the next year or two.

What do you think?

Without a really deep knowledge or deep-diving on Benchmarks for the programs you're using, I'd actually go with a 2600 or 2600X build and work in a nice monitor as well. Something 24 inches & IPS would be good. Solid stuff available for under 200USD. The "gaming" build with that B450 board has a staunch VRM setup, so it'll take whatever CPU AMD will launch in about 6 months. We simply don't know what AMD will do on the AM4 platform with the new chiplets, but there will be 8 core with likely higher clock speeds available in less than a year that you can drop-in upgrade to.

However, if your workload really does love itself some more & more Cores, I'd see about sneaking on the HEDT platform somehow. But you really need to look through benchmarks. Workloads that *should* love cores are massively bottlenecked by single core frequency very commonly.

I'd go this direction. More Memory or more CPU can be added later when you have more cash and/or the need arises. Two good monitors and an upgradeable platform should allow you to build out if you need more.

Thanks a ton for all of your insight...

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'd go this direction. More Memory or more CPU can be added later when you have more cash and/or the need arises. Two good monitors and an upgradeable platform should allow you to build out if you need more.

I did a bit more research...I think that having the 32gb ram and a couple more cores ( 8 )will be super beneficial, but I also see the need for a better monitor possibly..?

I should clarify which monitors I currently own...

-one of which is a cintiq, used for drawing and sculpting (I'll be hanging onto this for a while ).

It is an h-ips monitor.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/974580-REG/wacom_dth2200_cintiq_22_hd_touch.html

-the second is like 7 years old...its a Samsung 24' at 1080p.

34 minutes ago, Stottart said:

Thanks a ton for all of your insight...

I did a bit more research...I think that having the 32gb ram and a couple more cores ( 8 )will be super beneficial, but I also see the need for a better monitor possibly..?

I should clarify which monitors I currently own...

-one of which is a cintiq, used for drawing and sculpting (I'll be hanging onto this for a while ).

It is an h-ips monitor.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/974580-REG/wacom_dth2200_cintiq_22_hd_touch.html

-the second is like 7 years old...its a Samsung 24' at 1080p.

Well, that solves my easy suggestion. Get 1 new monitor and 32 Gb of memory. 

You might find the 1700 for ~150USD during Black Friday.

For why that specific motherboard:

As a general note, I'd personally go for the 2600X over the 1700 unless I really know the Use Case can leverage the extra cores. The 1700 should do between 3.7 to 3.8 All-Core OC on the box cooler, but if you don't want to worry about that, you don't have to. The one note is getting 16 Gb x 2 memory to 3200 is really unlikely on the 1700. 2800 Mhz is actually all you need (on both AMD & Intel, to note), so 2933/3000 is the actual target.

If you went this build, I'd be looking to upgrade the CPU in the 2nd half of 2019. Ryzen 3rd Gen will be out with much better IPC, Cache & Memory compatibility. We might also have a lot more cores for even less, but we'll find out when it launches. (No one currently knows what the Core counts will be.)

It should be noted that Solid State Storage prices are dropping pretty rapidly. Now really isn't the time to invest in too much of it. If you find you need 1 TB of solid state, I'd grab it next year.

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

As a general note, I'd personally go for the 2600X over the 1700 unless I really know the Use Case can leverage the extra cores. The 1700 should do between 3.7 to 3.8 All-Core OC on the box cooler, but if you don't want to worry about that, you don't have to. The one note is getting 16 Gb x 2 memory to 3200 is really unlikely on the 1700. 2800 Mhz is actually all you need (on both AMD & Intel, to note), so 2933/3000 is the actual target.

If you went this build, I'd be looking to upgrade the CPU in the 2nd half of 2019. Ryzen 3rd Gen will be out with much better IPC, Cache & Memory compatibility. We might also have a lot more cores for even less, but we'll find out when it launches. (No one currently knows what the Core counts will be.)

Thanks once again for your feedback...

It looks like I have a couple of options and ways to adjust.  I think what I'll do is keep an eye in the sales over the week and adjust from there..

I'll keep you all updated as I make those discoveries.  :)

And if there are any other opinions or findings please feel free to post them here.

Quick question...I just saw this awesome deal

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817438053?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker%2c+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

550w should be plenty for the various builds we listed in this thread right?  Or would it be safer to get 650w?

7 minutes ago, Stottart said:

Thanks once again for your feedback...

It looks like I have a couple of options and ways to adjust.  I think what I'll do is keep an eye in the sales over the week and adjust from there..

I'll keep you all updated as I make those discoveries.  :)

No clue what deep sales will drop over the next week, so you might be able to drop some real money off the build.

41 minutes ago, Stottart said:

Quick question...I just saw this awesome deal

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817438053?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker%2c+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

550w should be plenty for the various builds we listed in this thread right?  Or would it be safer to get 650w?

Unless you toss an overclocked 2700 & RX Vega 64, it'll be fine.

The great PSU Tier list. For 50USD, I'd grab that, if it has enough connectors for what you need.

16 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Unless you toss an overclocked 2700 & RX Vega 64, it'll be fine.

I might hold off, just In  case I decide to go that route... :( ha

4 minutes ago, Stottart said:

I might hold off, just In  case I decide to go that route... :( ha

That's a great PSU in general. For 50USD, that's a massive bargain. Your workflow will keep you on the Nvidia side of things for CUDA acceleration. You'd need 12+ cores in an OC to push beyond 550w. Also, that's just the basic rating, they'll go beyond that. That Threadripper build only expect 370w under heavy load. 550w is way more than enough unless you're dropping 3k on a build.

If I end up finding a deal on a ryzen 2700x plus a gtx 1080' I should still be good with this as well right?...(sorry for all the qustions)), but I appreciate the feedback)

16 hours ago, Stottart said:

Thanks for the input...

Do not byy fractal pc case they are shity quality, look at the Cooler Master MB500  it’s $60 and it comes with 3 RGB fans and temper glass and it’s got amazing air flow 

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384