Install unRaid in Virtual Box Help

Hi all-

I'm new here, but I am hoping to get a little guidance.  I am trying to install unRaid in a virtual box on my mac so I can learn it a bit to see if I would like to switch to it.  I have been running FreeNAS, but I am fed up and ready to move to a new system.  I downloaded the tool to make the USB, ran it, the ran the make bootable mac on it.  I then spin up virtual box, but it can't see any iso or anything to boot from.  Am I missing something?  Is the make bootable supposed to create an iso on there or am I missing a step in the virtual box?  Is there any other way to setup unraid so that i can try it (under the free trial) so i can see if it meets my needs before blowing up my freenas os?

TIA!

-Jason

The reason you can't find an ISO file is that they are just the images of a boot drive, but in your case you have the boot drive itself. You can make an ISO file from your usb drive using dd:

1) make sure your usb drive is unmounted

2) identify the name of the usb drive in your /dev/ folder using:

diskutil list

(the usb drive should be recognizable by the size - I will assume the name is /dev/disk1 here)

3) use dd to write an ISO image:

dd if=/dev/disk1 of=./unraid.iso

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

The reason you can't find an ISO file is that they are just the images of a boot drive, but in your case you have the boot drive itself. You can make an ISO file from your usb drive using dd:

1) make sure your usb drive is unmounted

2) identify the name of the usb drive in your /dev/ folder using:

diskutil list

(the usb drive should be recognizable by the size - I will assume the name is /dev/disk1 here)

3) use dd to write an ISO image:

dd if=/dev/disk1 of=./unraid.iso

Thanks!

Should this take a pretty long time to create? It's been running for about 40 mins now.

Just so you know what i did.  I made the USB drive from the unRaid USB creator, ran the make bootable mac, unmounted it, then tried to run "dd if=/dev/disk3 of=./unraid.iso" but for an access denied message about /dev/disk3.  So i ran "sudo dd if=/dev/disk3 of=./unraid.iso" and its been running since then.  Sound correct?

**Update

It did finally complete, I tried to load the iso to install unraid.  However, it still won't boot or install.  I get a message that says "Fatal Error! Could not read from the boot medium!  System Haulted!"

Not sure what to do now?

16 hours ago, jbrown705 said:

Should this take a pretty long time to create? It's been running for about 40 mins now.

It depends on how large your usb drive is, the command I gave you copies the entire content of the usb drive to the iso file, even the parts that are empty.

16 hours ago, jbrown705 said:

It did finally complete, I tried to load the iso to install unraid.  However, it still won't boot or install.  I get a message that says "Fatal Error! Could not read from the boot medium!  System Haulted!"

Not sure what to do now?

Are you sure it's trying to boot from the ISO and not from the virtual hard drive?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Are you sure it's trying to boot from the ISO and not from the virtual hard drive?

I'm pretty sure.  Here are my settings:

Look ok?

image.png.9b710e00a889f0c4638714f188ca9fb7.png

image.png.45123f3bbbda2ff01037e33742655284.png

image.png.8ef32103d8924fcedf19962dfd436919.png

1 minute ago, jbrown705 said:

I'm pretty sure.  Here are my settings:

Look ok?

image.png.8ef32103d8924fcedf19962dfd436919.png

Try ticking the "live cd/dvd" box. When you run the machine, try pressing f12 to access the boot menu and select the correct drive.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*