The man the myth the legand John Carmack

moderategamer

I came across this time capsule of a video and thought I'd share it. it's John Carmack the father of the fps genre and all round genius talking about a little hobby project he was putting together in 2012 otherwise known as the oculus rift you might have heard of it :P

Just thought I'd share as I'm sure it went almost unnoticed at the time and I always find it interesting learning about all the awesome stuff Mr Carmack is pioneering or otherwise making better.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

29 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That's 2012, not 2002.

Sorry Typo :P thanks for alerting me I'll get it fixed right away 

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

2 hours ago, moderategamer said:

Sorry Typo :P thanks for alerting me I'll get it fixed right away 

The title? Legand specifically 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

john is a legend, i could listen to him speak all day, i miss his quakecon talks

stan lee? never heard of him

Stan Lee is the creator of Marvel Universe. He brought Spiderman, Ironman, and other Marvel characters to real life that inspired by a lot of people. If you never heard of Stan Lee than you are  probably never heard of Spiderman, Ironman, Hulk or Thor. Stan Lee died on November 12 2018 at age 95. 

1 hour ago, Speed Weed said:

Stan Lee is the creator of Marvel Universe. He brought Spiderman, Ironman, and other Marvel characters to real life that inspired by a lot of people. If you never heard of Stan Lee than you are  probably never heard of Spiderman, Ironman, Hulk or Thor. Stan Lee died on November 12 2018 at age 95. 

I think he was joking, that's how I read it anyway.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

3 hours ago, veldora said:

The title? Legand specifically 

I'm not sure you can know all he did for gaming, he made side scrolling possible on the PC and then basically gave birth to 3d games. Most if not all 3D games back in the day were running on his engine or some adaptation of it. He's a pretty big advocate of open source and says not releasing code publicly is basically stealing (I couldn't agree more) Him and his group of friends created awesome games independently that revolutionised the industry and they self published over the internet at a time when no one was doing that and made a killing. I mean there was literally a time before FPS had been coined as a genre when all first person shooters were literally called Doom clones and he did it all at a very young age. And that's just the early years of his career I mean the guy has done so much and is still doing so much he truly is a genius. 

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

2 hours ago, Speed Weed said:

ye it was in jest as i personally think john is more legendary than stan and this was a thread about john

Glad someone else appreciates him. IIRC he also won a NASA competition, the dude is legendary and smart.

This guy is the stuff of legends, easily my favorite dev of any game ever.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armadillo_Aerospace

This man was doing Elon Musk level stuff before most people cared about Elon Musk!

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?