Network transfer locked to about 40 mb/s

I have a small home network connection, and i recently started doing stuff that requires the use of multiple pcs, i transfer fairly large files, i noticed that while transfering files, my transfer speed between conputers maxes at about 35-40 mb/s, which us fairly slow when transfering 50+gb files, most of which are zip files, both computers only see about 20 percent usage on their drives, and my connection is through a 1gb router, ive transfered files before across the same network and maxed out my network connection, does anyone have a way to work around this? Or is it simply an issue due to multiple files (i always thought that stuff .zip and .iso files where transfered as 1 solid file but im probably wrong)

first off: capitalization matters:

1912c4f5b3.jpg

kind of a large distinction here...

and beyond that, mind putting up a bit more information about your network setup?

get your units of measure right ... megabits, megabytes etc be more clear.

If the transfer speed is 30-40 MB/s (megabytes) then both network cards and your router work at gigabit speeds ( up to 1000mbps or ~125 MB/s )

The maximum speed will be basically the maximum speed the destination hard drive can reach to write to itself. If the hard drive is too fragmented or too full, speeds will be slow.  If the files are many and small, the transfer will be continuously stop and started , and this will slow down transfer.

if the transfer speeds are in megabits (as in 40 mbps =  ~ 5 MB/s) then you may want to consider checking if you get 1gbps speeds between your pc and the router, and between the other pc and the router etc etc...

16 minutes ago, Magicpandajuice said:

I have a small home network connection, and i recently started doing stuff that requires the use of multiple pcs, i transfer fairly large files, i noticed that while transfering files, my transfer speed between conputers maxes at about 35-40 mb/s, which us fairly slow when transfering 50+gb files, most of which are zip files, both computers only see about 20 percent usage on their drives, and my connection is through a 1gb router, ive transfered files before across the same network and maxed out my network connection, does anyone have a way to work around this? Or is it simply an issue due to multiple files (i always thought that stuff .zip and .iso files where transfered as 1 solid file but im probably wrong)

I'm assuming you see transfer size of MB Megabytes. This is not surprisingly depending on what drives you have in the systems. Your network is meassured in Mb Megabits, when you mix around people will be confused to what you mean.

zipping files will not transfer a whole file at once. Everything that goes over the network is split up and "rebuild" if you will on the other computer, just like copy and paste.

If You want speedy transfers you have to think about atleast three things

• Harddrive! Speed matters!
  • The cable you are using for the transfers.
  • The connection point on two computers. Preferably a switch.

When you get all those three to work in harmony you will have a healthy network speed (in the local) atleast.

There are many variables to network transfer speeds. The main ones are:

• Network speed, though, 35/40 Mbps implies you are using a gigabit-capable network
  • Server and Client transfer capabilities typically limited by storage medians for reading and writing respectively

Take the below potato for instance, it cannot read or write at great speeds due to the lack of storage:

2uti6gj.jpg