Effect of varying voltages across different countries on power supply

jinsaulkim

Brief intro to my life, skip down for [actual question]

I am a student that owns a macbook pro 15 inch retina from mid-2015.

I like spending my spare time on video games, but knowing apple is not a good solution for gaming computers, I struggled for 3 years.

Everything changed when I watched a video on eGPUs (or external graphics processing units).

I got really interested and made an investment to buy the Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070.

[actual question]

I bought my Gaming Box in South Korea, which is where I live. Google told me that houses in South Korea have 220V outlets with 60Hz.

I used the Gaming Box for 2 weeks in Korea, and brought it to the UK, which is where I study. Google told me UK has 230V outlets with 50Hz.

Enough intro, here's the problem:

The Gaming Box I used made a pop sound as I was unplugging it from the power cord. It made a slight burning smell for 10 seconds, too.

Next thing I know, power doesn't come on, and now it's dysfunctional.

So this is the second time it has happened. I got the first one replaced, used the new one for about 2 weeks in Korea. Within 1 week of use in the UK, it happened again.

Please suggest a problem, and a solution/prevention if possible.

[some more details]

I don't use a voltage switcher, I have been using every other electronic device perfectly well without one. (Hair dryer, phone charger, laptop charger, but none with power supply units)

Dunno if the Gaming Box has any PSU's or whatever is in there.

I use a regular cheap adapter for my plugs and a Korean multiplug-thing(sorry).

I suspect the problem is because of the voltage difference, as the model I bought came with the Korean power cord by default and I had no problems using it in Korea.

I only unplug it because of the power supply fan that cannot be controlled.

Next time I get it replaced or fixed, only while I am in the UK, I plan on not unplugging it at all.

Although the UK is nominally 230V to match the rest of Europe, the reality is it could still be closer to the 240V standard from before joining EU. Devices sold in Europe have to be designed to cope with a wide variation in voltage to allow for this.

I don't know about the gaming box, but it is possible they used a lower cost power supply that does not have such a wide input tolerance. Can you see any labels or other markings on the PSU?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#sp

Gigabyte's page seems to suggest it has a universal PSU, but I don't know if this necessarily applies to all units in all world regions.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

Although the UK is nominally 230V to match the rest of Europe, the reality is it could still be closer to the 240V standard from before joining EU. Devices sold in Europe have to be designed to cope with a wide variation in voltage to allow for this.

I don't know about the gaming box, but it is possible they used a lower cost power supply that does not have such a wide input tolerance. Can you see any labels or other markings on the PSU?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070IXEB-8GD#sp

Gigabyte's page seems to suggest it has a universal PSU, but I don't know if this necessarily applies to all units in all world regions.

I have tried unscrewing some of the screws, but struggling to fully open the case.

Doesn't opening devices normally mean voided warranties?

Should I commit to opening the case?

54 minutes ago, jinsaulkim said:

I have tried unscrewing some of the screws, but struggling to fully open the case.

Doesn't opening devices normally mean voided warranties?

Should I commit to opening the case?

I did do an image search for the PSU in this product, and the images I found suggested it does have a universal power supply. If so it shouldn't have any problem working here.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, jinsaulkim said:

The Gaming Box I used made a pop sound as I was unplugging it from the power cord. It made a slight burning smell for 10 seconds, too.

mmmm mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm the smell of burnt electrical components

I've been there done that

The lowdown is you bought a console somewhere and you did not know if it was a 110 unit or a 220 unit.

You went to Korea played it worked.

Went to UK and played and it did not work.

Is the console you purchased a used unit?

Were you using any "adapters" that you plugged the console into, then plugged all that into the wall.

Did you plug in the console correctly.

Did you snip off the grounding prong.

Your problem is most likely an easy fix, maybe a component or two, perhaps a big diode or a rectifier gave you pixie smoke.

Open the unit up and see if you have any poop stains in the console.

17 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

The lowdown is you bought a console somewhere and you did not know if it was a 110 unit or a 220 unit.

You went to Korea played it worked.

Went to UK and played and it did not work.

Is the console you purchased a used unit?

Were you using any "adapters" that you plugged the console into, then plugged all that into the wall.

Did you plug in the console correctly.

Did you snip off the grounding prong.

Your problem is most likely an easy fix, maybe a component or two, perhaps a big diode or a rectifier gave you pixie smoke.

Open the unit up and see if you have any poop stains in the console.

It did work in the UK for about two days for the first one, and a week for the second.

Unused, factory new unit.

I was using the wall plug adapter that you can buy for 1 USD at an airport.

Then a multi-plug into that adapter.

Correctly plugged-in console.

No grounding prongs in UK plugs.

I will commit to opening the box once I have two hours to spare.

Maybe if you're right, I can find some fixable components in a nearby electronics shop.

Need to consider warranty voiding, though.

1 hour ago, porina said:

I did do an image search for the PSU in this product, and the images I found suggested it does have a universal power supply. If so it shouldn't have any problem working here.

You're right, I did some research too.

I found out it has a 450W gold rated power supply that supports 100~240V.

So my theory should be wrong. Anyone have any explanations?

Help is very much appreciated.

Doesn't seem like much point opening it now.

So the adapter and things you're using doesn't have the ground pin connected through? Get a proper UK cord for it with grounding, to be safe. Only a few pounds. Might help.

On 11/14/2018 at 3:24 PM, jinsaulkim said:

I was using the wall plug adapter that you can buy for 1 USD at an airport.

Then a multi-plug into that adapter.

There is your problem right there.

Chinesium products like that, made to top quality standards as 1 USD, could have done the unit in.