Building A PC

Ashiok

Hi All,

I'm building a PC for a friend and wanted to know any recommendations on how I can make my list better. I have only used intel in the past so I don't know how good Ryzen is so any recommendation will help. $750 is the max budget. Also I have a power supply so no need for one

Thank you!

swap the 8400 to r5 2600 and the mobo for something like the asrock b450 pro 4, switch the liquid cooler to something like the arctic freezer esports one air cooler, and  go with a rx 570 8gb instead of the 1050. Also, do you need a psu?

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Ryzen is awesome for budget builds under 1000, heres something that will do much better:

PCPartPicker part list:

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Here are my recommendations:

1. Don't get a water cooler, especially a cheap one for a locked CPU

2. Get a B360 board, don't waste your money on a Z-series chipset with a locked CPU

3. With the money you saved get a 3GB 1060/ 4GB RX 580

4. Refer to the PSU tier list on this forum for a suitable power supply (don't make my mistake and be stuck with a tier 5 PSU)

Also, ryzen might be a better option at that price

If you are going to liquid cool why get a locked CPU. Ryzen all the way.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

9 minutes ago, lmeneses said:

swap the 8400 to r5 2600 and the mobo for something like the asrock b450 pro 4, switch the liquid cooler to something like the arctic freezer esports one air cooler, and  go with a rx 570 8gb instead of the 1050. Also, do you need a psu?

Total price is $670 with a mail in rebate, looks good. I have used only liquid coolers in the past because of how they are smaller and look nicer. Do you think the artic freeze esports is better price per performance?

Here is the new list I'm thinking of. Should I really get an air cooler b/c imo they just look clunky and bad. 

2 minutes ago, Ashiok said:

Total price is $670 with a mail in rebate, looks good. I have used only liquid coolers in the past because of how they are smaller and look nicer. Do you think the artic freeze esports is better price per performance?

yes, I do, plus it will last him longer with less maintenance. If you have a little more to spend, however, you may want to upgrade the mobo to the b450 tomahawk if he will be doing some heavy ocing with the 2600. If not, the pro4 is fine

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

Just now, Ashiok said:

Here is the new list I'm thinking of. Should I really get an air cooler b/c imo they just look clunky and bad. 

The list I posted still has better performance than this. And yes you should highly consider air cooling. They cause less issues and cool just as fine. The Ryzen stock cooler is even kickass.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

The list I posted still has better performance than this. And yes you should highly consider air cooling. They cause less issues and cool just as fine. The Ryzen stock cooler is even kickass.

I have the h55 myself for about 1 year and a half with no issues. What do you mean by issues?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($66.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($105.10 @ B&H) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.88 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8 GB Gaming 8G Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox MB510L ATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $797.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-14 14:12 EST-0500

somewhat the best you can get. you can min-max some things to get a better GPU in, but this is something i would recommend

Just now, Slottr said:

Wraith Stealth is great cooler, when you compare it to the competition from Team Blue.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

Just now, Ashiok said:

What do you mean by issues?

leaking, pump failure, etc

2 minutes ago, Ashiok said:

I have the h55 myself for about 1 year and a half with no issues. What do you mean by issues?

The h55 is just a bad value as far as performance. A similar priced air cooler will outperform it in cooling. The thing about liquid coolers is that if you get a leak or the pump dies you are just shit out of luck while with an air cooler the only thing that can fail really is the fan which is easily replaceable. I would honestly stick with the stock cooler on the 2600 as it is quite good and will save you money. Your money would be much better used elsewhere tbh.