PSU for FX 6300/new platform + GTX 1070Ti?

Hi! :D

A friend of mine is planning on building a new pc in the future and wants to start off by upgrading his graphics card to a GTX 1070Ti, as he could get one for quite cheap right now. 

His current system consists of a pre-build computer with an FX 6300(yeah, the both of us are aware about there being a bottleneck), 12 gigs of ram, as well as a GTX 750Ti. As his PC was a pre-built one(I think), the power supply he's rocking doesn't look too confidence-aspiring, to put it that way. His power supply is the one included with his LC-Power Pro-925B case, I think(not wanting to mock LC-Power?). 

As I don't really know too much about power supplies, though, I thought I might ask you guys... :P 

According to "outervision.com", a 400 watt power supply should be sufficient.

Not only does that no quite seem to be enough to me to be comfortable, if I'm being honest, but also - especially given that this is the "start" of his new system - I'd like there to be some headroom for new, potentially more powerful/power-hungry hardware for him.

Could you recommend a PSU for him? :) 

Also, efficiency ratings are "a thing", are they? ?? 

Thanks in advance! :) 

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Good 550w (Focus+ Gold, GQ, G2, etc)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

A 400W PSU might be "enough" but a crap PSU is always bad news. You can check out the PSU tier list on the forum to see the good ones. Does the PSU currently in use even have an 8 pin PCIe connector? 

Regardless, it's ok to get a 1070 ti on sale now, then upgrade to Ryzen or something at a more opportune time. You can put up with the bottleneck for a little while.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

A 400W PSU might be "enough" but a crap PSU is always bad news. You can check out the PSU tier list on the forum to see the good ones. Does the PSU currently in use even have an 8 pin PCIe connector? 

Regardless, it's ok to get a 1070 ti on sale now, then upgrade to Ryzen or something at a more opportune time. You can put up with the bottleneck for a little while.

I'm not quite sure if it has one, but if we really have to, we could build some kind of jank set-up with two PSUs, as I still have one at my place that should be enough for something like that... :D

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, Jonas_2909 said:

I'm not quite sure if it has one, but if we really have to, we could build some kind of jank set-up with two PSUs, as I still have one at my place that should be enough for something like that... :D

it's a better idea to just replace the old one. Make sure there are no proprietary power connector.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

it's a better idea to just replace the old one. Make sure there are no proprietary power connector.

There are no proprietary connectors, and he is definitely going to replace his power supply anway...

All I wanted to say is that even if he couldn't afford a new one right now, he'd still be able to use his system by utilising two PSUs, although we're probably not going to do that... :D

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

15 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

You really don't want to do that, you might think "oh we just put this connector here and that's it"

you'll need to be able to start AND shut down both at the same time since both will have load you'll also need to balance the load on the probably group regulated aux unit so the output is somewhat stable.

Don't tinker with PSUs if you don't know what you're doing, if you send current to the card via the aux unit before the main can power the slot you could fry it

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

43 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

You really don't want to do that, you might think "oh we just put this connector here and that's it"

you'll need to be able to start AND shut down both at the same time since both will have load you'll also need to balance the load on the probably group regulated aux unit so the output is somewhat stable.

Don't tinker with PSUs if you don't know what you're doing, if you send current to the card via the aux unit before the main can power the slot you could fry it

Yeah, I know there's a lot that can go wrong, hence I'm not really keen on doing it... ?‍♂️?

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

13 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Could you recommend a PSU for him? :) 

Cheap as possible:
be quiet System Power 9

OKish: be quiet Pure Power 10/11

Good: Bitfenix Formula, Whisper M, be quiet Straight Power 11.

Bit louder in idle: Cougar GX-F.

13 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Also, efficiency ratings are "a thing", are they? ?? 

Well, they are ratings for Efficiency...

And only the Gold one has a bit of importance as there are no good quality Bronze units no more...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"