Any M.2 to 10GbE/10GE/10GigE out there?

MadDuke

Hi everyone.

Has anyone seen something similar to this, but with 10 gigabit ethernet?

http://ableconn.com/products_2.php?gid=119

http://ableconn.com/products_2.php?gid=129

I've switched to mITX  (Phanteks Shift) and would like to keep as low profile as possible. I truly only need a fast SSD, single GPU and a CPU in my setup. For everything else there is USB3.1 Gen2 and Gen1, but a 10GBe ethernet would be a must so I can access my NAS PC fast so I don't break the bank on local storage (plus the point is not to have it locally)

Kind regards,

MadDuke

There are a few issues:

1. Motherboard M.2 slots are almost exclusively connected to a storage controller, so they can't be used for other devices

2. Motherboards with M.2 slots for Wi-Fi have too little bandwidth for the 10GbE to make any sense, almost always being just a single lane.

3. 10GbE chipsets get hot, so they need a heatsink at the very least, with airflow passing over it. 

So honestly, if you want 10GbE, get a board that already has it. Unfortunately, only Supermicro makes ITX boards with 10GbE and they use built-in Xeon D processors. They do have some uATX/mATX boards though, which is honestly the way to go anyway. 1 GPU, 1 10GbE NIC and you're set.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

USB 3.1 Gen 2 -> 10GbE - adapters would be neat, but it seems those aren't a thing, either.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

15 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

There are a few issues:

1. Motherboard M.2 slots are almost exclusively connected to a storage controller, so they can't be used for other devices

2. Motherboards with M.2 slots for Wi-Fi have too little bandwidth for the 10GbE to make any sense, almost always being just a single lane.

3. 10GbE chipsets get hot, so they need a heatsink at the very least, with airflow passing over it. 

So honestly, if you want 10GbE, get a board that already has it. Unfortunately, only Supermicro makes ITX boards with 10GbE and they use built-in Xeon D processors. They do have some uATX/mATX boards though, which is honestly the way to go anyway. 1 GPU, 1 10GbE NIC and you're set.

Hi.

I think it's obvious I'm talking about PCIe 3.0 or 2.0 x4 M.2 slots.  Not SATA.     And Bandwith in those cases is  PCIe 2.0 x4 is > ~16 Gigabits  (so realistic 10 is no problem) and PCIe 3.0 x4 is >~32 Gigabits so realistic 10 is even less of a problem.    I have both at my disposal but would use the back 2.0 x4 port since the faster 3.0 is for the SSD rather where I can get to those realistic read speeds.

15 hours ago, WereCatf said:

USB 3.1 Gen 2 -> 10GbE - adapters would be neat, but it seems those aren't a thing, either.

Yeah I know :) But with 10 gigabit theoretical bandwith... :)  On USB.   But I could mayyybe settle with a 5 gigabit or 7.5 even if those existed.  

My alternative will be to try and get some slim 10 gigabit card and 3D printe something that will still look nise in the case and connect it with something similar to this

image.png.7fb0336fb5c6c7afaf46f1b9f8a534f0.png

I was just hoping for a more neat solution.

My life could be called. In search of niche!

Have you tested the throughput of your NAS to see if it would benefit from a 10gb connection? Is the array backed by SSDs or a SSD cache, because you could saturate your IOPS well before you get that bandwidth. 

I haven't googled but you could see if they have some type of HBA solution for m.2. Use wireless or some other ethernet access for general webz, and HBA for your storage. 

The only concern would be the power output of the m.2 slot, I feel like it's not going to be enough for either 10gb or an HBA card.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2018 at 3:19 PM, Mikensan said:

Have you tested the throughput of your NAS to see if it would benefit from a 10gb connection? Is the array backed by SSDs or a SSD cache, because you could saturate your IOPS well before you get that bandwidth. 

I haven't googled but you could see if they have some type of HBA solution for m.2. Use wireless or some other ethernet access for general webz, and HBA for your storage. 

The only concern would be the power output of the m.2 slot, I feel like it's not going to be enough for either 10gb or an HBA card.

Yeah :) 
The power consideration was completely omitted by be. Thank you nonetheless. 

I'll be waiting for looks like something in the line of

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12852/aquantia-multigig-single-chip-usb-30-to-5g25g-dongles-coming-soon

• 1 year later...

You need an M.2 to Oculink adapter for eg Amazon B07KX87V61 and then a HP 1QL49AA will add two 10 GbE ports.

On 11/13/2018 at 4:12 AM, MadDuke said:

Hi.

I think it's obvious I'm talking about PCIe 3.0 or 2.0 x4 M.2 slots.  Not SATA.     And Bandwith in those cases is  PCIe 2.0 x4 is > ~16 Gigabits  (so realistic 10 is no problem) and PCIe 3.0 x4 is >~32 Gigabits so realistic 10 is even less of a problem.    I have both at my disposal but would use the back 2.0 x4 port since the faster 3.0 is for the SSD rather where I can get to those realistic read speeds.

Yeah I know :) But with 10 gigabit theoretical bandwith... :)  On USB.   But I could mayyybe settle with a 5 gigabit or 7.5 even if those existed.  

My alternative will be to try and get some slim 10 gigabit card and 3D printe something that will still look nise in the case and connect it with something similar to this

image.png.7fb0336fb5c6c7afaf46f1b9f8a534f0.png

I was just hoping for a more neat solution.

My life could be called. In search of niche!

I have used an item like above and it does work fine.  I do not believe anyone would try to put 10Gbit on an M.2 card itself as cooling it sufficiently could be tricky and the kinds of people who need 10Gbit wouldn't normally go for that kind of thing, there just isn't the demand.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but it's the first thing that comes to google when asking about 10GbE in an m.2 format and I think posting here will help the most amount of people.

https://www.innodisk.com/en/products/embedded-peripheral/communication/egpl-t101

It turns out Innodisk just recently released one and I want one. The EGPL-T101