Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC shutting down while playing games

NeelTheUnknown

Hey everyone, I have started seeing an issue with my pc where it will shut down while playing games and will not restart for like 5 minutes. My specs: 
Ryzen 3 1200 (OC : 3.7 GHz)
MSI Pro V2 B450 
4x2gb ddr4 (2400 & 2133)
GTX 750ti
450W PSU
It's just a budget build and I just do some casual gaming on it. Initiative I thought it had something to do with the OC so I down clocked it at 3.3ghz to check if it fixed the issue, but it's still the same. It's still crashing while playing games... I ran cinebench with HWMonitor and it crashed instantly as I started the cinebench test. Some other sources say it's a PSU issue. Please help.

which os is it running? play around with your bios nd see if you can get anything or else just bloody reinstall windows!! ?

25 minutes ago, NeelTheUnknown said:

Hey everyone, I have started seeing an issue with my pc where it will shut down while playing games and will not restart for like 5 minutes. My specs: 
Ryzen 3 1200 (OC : 3.7 GHz)
MSI Pro V2 B450 
4x2gb ddr4 (2400 & 2133)
GTX 750ti
450W PSU
It's just a budget build and I just do some casual gaming on it. Initiative I thought it had something to do with the OC so I down clocked it at 3.3ghz to check if it fixed the issue, but it's still the same. It's still crashing while playing games... I ran cinebench with HWMonitor and it crashed instantly as I started the cinebench test. Some other sources say it's a PSU issue. Please help.

if its not temperature, its the power supply.

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

its the power supply.

This. If you're not getting an error (i.e BSOD), then 99% of the time it's power related. Either your PSU is bad, going bad, or not rated correctly. Temps would not cause it to power off immediately, only lack of power would do that.

-KuJoe

Something taking 5 mins to turn back on sounds like a power issue. If it's happened before it could be ram timings or something, and the bios needing a full refresh/reset (I use to get this on my overclocks at times). But if not overclocking, sounds power related.

Though, you did say it was overclocked? Is the 750Ti a real 750ti? Check with GPUz. Reset everything to factory settings in bios, check RAM slot location and check with 1 ram stick, then the other, with only 1 ram stick in at a time. As said, could be RAM timing or GPU boost/overclock errors.

5 hours ago, amusedschrodinger said:

How are your temps?

Temps are nothing out of the normal... I don't remember exactly as as soon as I run the benchmark it shuts down.

5 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Something taking 5 mins to turn back on sounds like a power issue. If it's happened before it could be ram timings or something, and the bios needing a full refresh/reset (I use to get this on my overclocks at times). But if not overclocking, sounds power related.

Though, you did say it was overclocked? Is the 750Ti a real 750ti? Check with GPUz. Reset everything to factory settings in bios, check RAM slot location and check with 1 ram stick, then the other, with only 1 ram stick in at a time. As said, could be RAM timing or GPU boost/overclock errors.

The 750ti is legit as I bought it of authorised zotac retailer. And about the Ram, I have to check it.

5 hours ago, KuJoe said:

This. If you're not getting an error (i.e BSOD), then 99% of the time it's power related. Either your PSU is bad, going bad, or not rated correctly. Temps would not cause it to power off immediately, only lack of power would do that.

No, no blue screen of death (BSOD error). The thing is it was running fine for about a month now then suddenly this.

If it never shuts down when not playing games, then it does suggest it's the GPU or similar being stressed.

Just replace the PSU and you'll be fine. What is happening is that the videocard is using more power when you're gaming so it ends up pulling more power than the PSU can provide causing the whole system to shutdown since it's out of power. Think of it like a car: the higher the RPMs the more gasoline you use, if you don't have enough gasoline in the tank it doesn't just slow down or stop going faster, the engine turns off. I'm not 100% sure about the 5 minute wait but I believe that's a power protection mode to prevent damage to your components, normally a 5 minute wait indicates a thermal issue which might mean your PSU is running too hot when it reaches it's limit... either way replacing the PSU should fix it.

-KuJoe

17 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Just replace the PSU and you'll be fine. What is happening is that the videocard is using more power when you're gaming so it ends up pulling more power than the PSU can provide causing the whole system to shutdown since it's out of power. Think of it like a car: the higher the RPMs the more gasoline you use, if you don't have enough gasoline in the tank it doesn't just slow down or stop going faster, the engine turns off. I'm not 100% sure about the 5 minute wait but I believe that's a power protection mode to prevent damage to your components, normally a 5 minute wait indicates a thermal issue which might mean your PSU is running too hot when it reaches it's limit... either way replacing the PSU should fix it.

Thanks... The help is really appreciated 

On Mon Nov 12 2018 at 4:55 AM, KuJoe said:

One question though... Do I buy a higher wattage psu or a higher rated one?