AIO water cooling unit (single rad) reliability

Go to solution Solved by paulsterio,

Single 140mm or 120mm radiator will perform worse than a top-tier air cooler, there was a video on LTT about this not a while ago comparing the H80 to a top air cooler. 

Plus, air cooling is cheaper and more reliable (no pump to fail). So I would recommend an NH-D14 if you have the space, if not go with the NH-U12S. 

Hey guys, straight to the point, I am looking for a new cooler for my i5 3570k. Basically I am now using the Hyper 212 Evo and my CPU is running at 4.2 Ghz, reaching 68C at 100% load (I guess I didn't win the silicon lottery :P). Since I have another build coming up based on the Piledriver CPU (I haven't decided yet whether I am gonna use the 6300 or 8320), I am thinking of using my current 212 Evo as the CPU cooler for this next build. So now I am looking for a new cooler for my i5 3570k.
I am thinking of getting an AIO water cooler like the Corsair H75 just for the look, it will make my rig look tidier, but I still haven't made my mind because I have never dealt with any type of water cooling solution for my CPU before. Some people said that I should think about the risk of leakage or pump failure. This kinda worries me a bit so I'd like to ask, has anyone here ever had such problems, specifically with Corsair AIO water coolers? If so, how long did it take until the problem occurred? What is the solution for that?

"Yippie-ki-yay motherf**ker!"  ~John McClane

That's a pretty damn good chip if you ask me. And don't get single rad just get a high end air cooler if you have the room for it.

The lowest single rad AIO would be the H80 to get. Otherwise I would just get another air cooler. Personally I think that air coolers look nicer than AIO.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

That's a pretty damn good chip if you ask me. And don't get single rad just get a high end air cooler if you have the room for it.

Thanks man, some of my friends can get around the lower 60, so I thought I had a kinda bad chip. I do have the room for high end air cooler, but some of them are pretty bulky and I am not so sure about the RAM clearance. I am using the AsRock z77 extreme4.

Thanks man, some of my friends can get around the lower 60, so I thought I had a kinda bad chip. I do have the room for high end air cooler, but some of them are pretty bulky and I am not so sure about the RAM clearance. I am using the AsRock z77 extreme4.

Dark Rock Pro 2 is what I can recommend from my experience with it.there is ram clearance issues with the cooler but you orient it right you should be fine

The motherboard doesn't matter as much as what ram you have.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have the Kuhler 620 which is a single rad. It's quite a bit better than the stock cooler (Duh) and it was only 40 bucks for me. (Clearance at Best Buy) If you want one, then buy one. If you have the money, then why not get one of the bigger coolers?

BTW, my CPU runs at around 120f max. 4.2GHz at stock voltage. (AMD A8. For some reason I am unable to actually change the voltage and MSI will not help me to fix this.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

The motherboard doesn't matter as much as what ram you have.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier. I am using 2 sticks of Patriot Viper 3 series. It's not as tall as the Vengeance I think, but it is taller than the regular ones.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier. I am using 2 sticks of Patriot Viper 3 series. It's not as tall as the Vengeance I think, but it is taller than the regular ones.

Viper 3's should fit under the majority of air coolers. 

So why not get another 212 Evo? I'd personally just get another one and delid. It's not the least risky thing but you can get some great temps with it. There are a few members who have 5 ghz on their i5's with a 212 Evo because of it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Viper 3's should fit under the majority of air coolers. 

So why not get another 212 Evo? I'd personally just get another one and delid. It's not the least risky thing but you can get some great temps with it. There are a few members who have 5 ghz on their i5's with a 212 Evo because of it. 

It's quite risky, but I'll think about that and find out the proper way of delidding. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Single 140mm or 120mm radiator will perform worse than a top-tier air cooler, there was a video on LTT about this not a while ago comparing the H80 to a top air cooler. 

Plus, air cooling is cheaper and more reliable (no pump to fail). So I would recommend an NH-D14 if you have the space, if not go with the NH-U12S. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I am not so sure about the RAM clearance for the NH-D14, but the NH-U12S seems to have no problem. However, I think I'm gonna get the NH-U14S instead because despite its slim design, it can really blows the single rad coolers out of the water.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I am not so sure about the RAM clearance for the NH-D14, but the NH-U12S seems to have no problem. However, I think I'm gonna get the NH-U14S instead because despite its slim design, it can really blows the single rad coolers out of the water.

You shouldn't have too much trouble with RAM clearance. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the NH-D14, but it has two fans, an NF-P14 (140mm) in the middle of two towers and an NF-P12 (120mm) on one side. It's not usually the cooler itself, but rather the fan which obstructs the RAM slots. So what you could do is install that fan on the other side of the cooler. But definitely check it out because you'll get a few degrees better with the NH-D14 as opposed to the NH-U14S. But the U14S is still a great option, just grab a second fan to use in push-pull and you should outperform all the AIOs. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White