DC power supply, is it a good choice?

Islam Ghunym
Go to solution Solved by speed258,
3 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

Ah I think you didn't notice that I wanted to buy a DC input PSU which I think it will last longer, so is it a good idea or wont be much effective way and wont make real differnce?

In theory battery provides slightly less amperage meaning less Ghz for CPU/GPU/RAM, I have also crazy ideas to turn my desktop pc into portable pc, but issue was to recharge batterys while I working with my pc I had to turn off pc, disconnect battery charge it and connect back to pc, why I didnt charge while I was using pc? because charger provides to much amperage(~55 if I remeber), me personal advice buy bigger ups so it could last longer. If you dont need so portable pc just only maintain stable power you could use car battery, install amperage controller which should output around ~35A, If I were you take diesel car battery they bigger and will last longer. Good luck.

I am living in an area where the power cut in an unexpected times preventing me from continuing my streaming or any other session on my PC and this is very irritating because the 5 minutes UPS that I have is not enough for continuing my session so I need a solution of this and my questions are:

what is the best idea to turn on my pc using battery in effiecient way?

I am thinking about using a 200 amps battery in my UPS untill I finish my current session then turn the PC off and change my AC input PSU to another DC input PSU for more power efficiency, would it be a good idea?

Is using a DC PSU recommended for gaming PC?, will it pass the whole battery power through PC and make my pc low efficient or it will limit the output wattage passed through PC to a proper amount?

There would be a little trouble that changing the PSU is not fast method so changing it 2 or 3 times daily will maybe cause damage to motherboard or to PSU cables so is it recommended?

No amount of different power supply will make your PC last on battery longer. +/- 10% at most.

Get a bigger UPS. Also if you get one that's managed (connects to your PC with USB) then the PC can detect it's running on a battery and then you can set it to adjust it's power settings accordingly 

Another question is:

If I used a high outpot wattage power supply, would it consume more power than another PSU wiith a proper amount of outppt wattage which meets the PC requirements?

2 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

Another question is:

If I used a high outpot wattage power supply, would it consume more power than another PSU wiith a proper amount of outppt wattage which meets the PC requirements?

Most power supplies operate at peek efficiency when at approximately 50% load. 

4 minutes ago, geo3 said:

No amount of different power supply will make your PC last on battery longer. +/- 10% at most.

Get a bigger UPS. Also if you get one that's managed (connects to your PC with USB) then the PC can detect it's running on a battery and then you can set it to adjust it's power settings accordingly 

So you mean that using a UPS to convert DC to AC then using the PSU to convert the power again to DC wont consume more than 10%?

So you mean that using a UPS to convert DC to AC then using the PSU to convert the power again to DC wont consume more than 10%

No that's not at all what I said. 

What I meant was that all the PSUs you can possibility use will all be within + or - 10% of each other. (unless they are old, super cheep, or damaged).  So getting a different PSU than what you have now will not make much difference at all. (unless your current one is very old, super cheep, or damaged)

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

No that's not at all what I said. 

What I meant was that all the PSUs you can possibility use will all be within + or - 10% of each other. (unless they are old, super cheep, or damaged).  So getting a different PSU than what you have now will not make much difference at all. (unless your current one is very old, super cheep, or damaged)

Ah I think you didn't notice that I wanted to buy a DC input PSU which I think it will last longer, so is it a good idea or wont be much effective way and wont make real differnce?

For example if I pluged the the DC input PSU to the battery then bluged the battery to the wall charger without UPS, am I doing well?

or te PC will keep draining the battery life?

Just now, Islam Ghunym said:

No, I did notice that. My original statement still stands. A DC PSU will not be noticeably more efficient, and won't really enhance your on battery time. 

If your goal is to last longer on battery this is your only real option. 

11 minutes ago, geo3 said:

That or get a less powerful PC. 

Well, so I will have to buy 200 amps battery plug it into my UPS and use my current AC PSU.

thx for help, I really apperciate your fast response.

In theory battery provides slightly less amperage meaning less Ghz for CPU/GPU/RAM, I have also crazy ideas to turn my desktop pc into portable pc, but issue was to recharge batterys while I working with my pc I had to turn off pc, disconnect battery charge it and connect back to pc, why I didnt charge while I was using pc? because charger provides to much amperage(~55 if I remeber), me personal advice buy bigger ups so it could last longer. If you dont need so portable pc just only maintain stable power you could use car battery, install amperage controller which should output around ~35A, If I were you take diesel car battery they bigger and will last longer. Good luck.

CPU: Intel I7-8700K | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz 2x8GB | GPU: Asus ROG 1080Ti OC | PSU: Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium | SSD: 1x Samsung Evo 970 250GB M2 1x Samsung Evo 970 1TB M2 | CPU COOLER: Noctua D15

24 minutes ago, geo3 said:

No, I did notice that. My original statement still stands. A DC PSU will not be noticeably more efficient, and won't really enhance your on battery time. 

If your goal is to last longer on battery this is your only real option. 

That or get a less powerful PC. 

But using a DC PSU to convert power from battery immediately to PC will be more efficient than using a UPS to convert power from DC to AC then my PSU to convert power again from AC to DC, I just want to make sure that I am at the right side.

Edited by Islam Ghunym

10 minutes ago, speed258 said:

Then I have to buy 200 amps battery and plug it into my UPS with amperage controller, just like that?

The goal for the amperage controler between battery and UPS is to prevent more power from being transfered through the UPS causing overheating and power lose, is my thoughts true?