Set Google Voice account outside the US

I was wondering how anyone can setup a Google Voice account while being outside the US nowadays.
Some years ago a VPN did the trick. When that was patched a US based free VoiP phone number bypassed their registration requirements.
Now most of VoiP number providers are, either blacklisted by Google or require a monthly fee.

Any ideas?

I myself use Twilio, 1 buck per month, but no cost is always better than any cost.

I am in Denmark I just open GMail, click the telephone icon at the bottom left, enter the number and then I am calling people. (You've never needed a VPN to get google voice to work outside of the US).

Did you mean to ask how you can bypass the payment requirement for non American numbers?

52 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

I am in Denmark I just open GMail, click the telephone icon at the bottom left, enter the number and then I am calling people.

The way in which I use Google Voice alike services(Twilio) is renting a phone number which I hand to my work contacts and then I redirect calls, SMSs, etc. to my real number from it. Why do I want a Google Voice number? Because it is free.

The button you speak of may be a part of Google voice, but, I recall it just makes calls over wi-fi through gmail does not it?  (actually curious stare)

To set a number with Google Voice, last time I checked, you needed a US based phone number to get a Google Voice number. Is it different in Denmark? I'm writing from Spain. (actually curious stare, yet again)

Google Voice Signup

Also, you did need a VPN if I recall correctly, from Spain at least(you can look for tutorials of setting up a number if you do not believe me, example) to set a Google Voice account up. Else you got a "Google Voice is not available in your country" message.

Yea, I can make calls both from gmail and from the app, but gmail is only used as "one of the ways you can get to it" it is still google voice and needs to be activated by signing in to google voice like normal (you can also access it via voice.google.com). 

Just as a test I logged into Voice.google.com just now (I have no VPN) and chose a number. It has to be a US number you choose, but it worked absolutely fine for me. 

Well, sucks to be in Spain then. When I try to choose a number this happens:

Translation from Spanish, red text: Google Voice is available only in the US. If you want to use Google Voice you need to register using a US mobile phone number.

Captur2a.PNG

PS: I erased my phone number from the image before uploading it.

That sucks, have you tried using a US free SMS service? That may work, or get a temporary US number for cheap, register then stop the service. 

13 hours ago, FlappyBoobs said:

That sucks, have you tried using a US free SMS service? That may work, or get a temporary US number for cheap, register then stop the service. 

I've tried several, most of them are blacklisted by Google. I ended up with Twilio because of their customer service.