Anybody here know anything about cats? Or this situation I have?

Zev_7
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
On 11/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, Zeta_191 said:

So I have this cat here and it's been chilling outside my house, we've been feeding it and giving it water so it stays here. But we already have a cat of our own and can't keep it. We don't know if it has any ailments, but the owner has chipped it. However, we tried calling the owner as well as getting an agency to and it's been a month with no reply. The cat didn't like being petted until later when it learned to trust us, so not sure if it's been abused by said owner. The cat looks healthy overall though.

Note: I wanted to also know if anyone knows the breed? I assume its Maine coon because of the tuffs, and some other breed. We've seen it hunt pretty much anything outside.

Can I sell this cat too? Or what are my options? The pound is too full in my city :(

-snip-

You cannot sell the cat. It's not your property, and would be considered theft if the original owner came looking for it.

Does your city have an Animal Humane Society? Something like the SPCA? Often they will come take the cat, and at least try and match it back to the original owner.

But let's assume the cat has been abandoned. If so, you could foster it yourself (Take it to the vet and get all the shots/vaccinations taken care of before bringing it in contact with your other cat).

Otherwise, you could try and find someone to adopt the cat - ask friends or family, post on Facebook, etc. I wouldn't charge any money for ethical reasons unless you are recouping direct costs (eg: if you pay to have the cat neutered and then vaccinated, pass those charges on to whoever adopts the cat).

Personally I have 2 cats - both of them were kittens that came from the local Humane Society.

1 hour ago, shmoochie said:

nope where I live its a $50 fee to get your animal back from the pound. Id rather have them feed it so it stays then post in lets say my towns facebook group asking whos cat it is. or id put up lost cat posters and hope they call me

If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting your cat tagged with the micro chip. A lot of pet food stores (Eg: Pet Smart) can read the tags, so you don't even have to go to the humane society to find out the owner.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting your cat tagged with the micro chip. A lot of pet food stores (Eg: Pet Smart) can read the tags, so you don't even have to go to the humane society to find out the owner.

I only own two dogs and both are chipped, but I had no idea a pet store had a reader for them, but I guess that makes sense that they do

On 11/9/2018 at 6:51 PM, shmoochie said:

I only own two dogs and both are chipped, but I had no idea a pet store had a reader for them, but I guess that makes sense that they do

Places like PetSmart sell the tagging service, so it kind of goes hand in hand that they can also read the tags. 

Not every pet food store will though. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 3 weeks later...

It's been over a month since we contacted the owners, the cat would have gone back home if it wasnt abandoned. 

For now it may look like we'll keep it, hopefully that's the case.