Anybody here know anything about cats? Or this situation I have?

Zev_7
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
On 11/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, Zeta_191 said:

So I have this cat here and it's been chilling outside my house, we've been feeding it and giving it water so it stays here. But we already have a cat of our own and can't keep it. We don't know if it has any ailments, but the owner has chipped it. However, we tried calling the owner as well as getting an agency to and it's been a month with no reply. The cat didn't like being petted until later when it learned to trust us, so not sure if it's been abused by said owner. The cat looks healthy overall though.

Note: I wanted to also know if anyone knows the breed? I assume its Maine coon because of the tuffs, and some other breed. We've seen it hunt pretty much anything outside.

Can I sell this cat too? Or what are my options? The pound is too full in my city :(

-snip-

You cannot sell the cat. It's not your property, and would be considered theft if the original owner came looking for it.

Does your city have an Animal Humane Society? Something like the SPCA? Often they will come take the cat, and at least try and match it back to the original owner.

But let's assume the cat has been abandoned. If so, you could foster it yourself (Take it to the vet and get all the shots/vaccinations taken care of before bringing it in contact with your other cat).

Otherwise, you could try and find someone to adopt the cat - ask friends or family, post on Facebook, etc. I wouldn't charge any money for ethical reasons unless you are recouping direct costs (eg: if you pay to have the cat neutered and then vaccinated, pass those charges on to whoever adopts the cat).

Personally I have 2 cats - both of them were kittens that came from the local Humane Society.

So I have this cat here and it's been chilling outside my house, we've been feeding it and giving it water so it stays here. But we already have a cat of our own and can't keep it. We don't know if it has any ailments, but the owner has chipped it. However, we tried calling the owner as well as getting an agency to and it's been a month with no reply. The cat didn't like being petted until later when it learned to trust us, so not sure if it's been abused by said owner. The cat looks healthy overall though.

Note: I wanted to also know if anyone knows the breed? I assume its Maine coon because of the tuffs, and some other breed. We've seen it hunt pretty much anything outside.

Can I sell this cat too? Or what are my options? The pound is too full in my city :(

IMG_01571.jpg

20181104_102513.jpg

20181104_102531.jpg

It might have some Maine Coon in it, but it certainly is a pure Maine Coon, maybe a quarter? All you can do is keep feeding it and asking anyone you know if they want to adopt it.

The cat chooses the human :) 

On 11/4/2018 at 1:16 PM, Monkey Dust said:

It might have some Maine Coon in it, but it certainly is a pure Maine Coon, maybe a quarter? All you can do is keep feeding it and asking anyone you know if they want to adopt it.

I kind of want to keep it, maybe if it doesn't get too expensive when I receive college funds ?

47 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

...Just drop it off at the animal shelter.

Read the last line of the first post.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

look online for pet fosterers in your area.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:36 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Read the last line of the first post.

That just means they'll create a vacancy for it. Pounds are great for that.

I never understand why people feed stray cats and animals.

#Muricaparrotgang

54 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

That just means they'll create a vacancy for it. Pounds are great for that...

How do you get that from, "The pound is too full in my city"?

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

Leave it and let it hunt all the mice, rats, chipmunks and squirrels in the area.  It could help keep everyone healthier by keeping the plague carrying vermin away.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:45 AM, Zeta_191 said:

-snip-

You cannot sell the cat. It's not your property, and would be considered theft if the original owner came looking for it.

Does your city have an Animal Humane Society? Something like the SPCA? Often they will come take the cat, and at least try and match it back to the original owner.

But let's assume the cat has been abandoned. If so, you could foster it yourself (Take it to the vet and get all the shots/vaccinations taken care of before bringing it in contact with your other cat).

Otherwise, you could try and find someone to adopt the cat - ask friends or family, post on Facebook, etc. I wouldn't charge any money for ethical reasons unless you are recouping direct costs (eg: if you pay to have the cat neutered and then vaccinated, pass those charges on to whoever adopts the cat).

Personally I have 2 cats - both of them were kittens that came from the local Humane Society.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

Cats, because most people find cats cute, and sympathize with them, and don't want the cat to suffer.

Remember that the domestic house cat is not well adept any longer at surviving on it's own - most cat breeds have been domesticated for thousands of years now. Most of them are not wild animals and while they still have some hunting instincts, they are at a severe disadvantage to actual wild animals.

I would feed a stray too, but if it kept coming back, I'd simply adopt it.

As for other animals - depends on the person. Most people don't typically feed wild animals like raccoons, etc.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

if my cat was lost for a few days I would hope someone would feed it. not everyone is heartless like you seem to be

22 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

They kill the oldest cats to make room for new entries. It's nothing new.

20 hours ago, shmoochie said:

if my cat was lost for a few days I would hope someone would feed it. not everyone is heartless like you seem to be

Don't let it outside. I hate cats running around on the streets because they're always disgusting and eventually more show up.

Outdoor cats shouldn't be a thing.

21 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Cats, because most people find cats cute, and sympathize with them, and don't want the cat to suffer.

Remember that the domestic house cat is not well adept any longer at surviving on it's own - most cat breeds have been domesticated for thousands of years now. Most of them are not wild animals and while they still have some hunting instincts, they are at a severe disadvantage to actual wild animals.

I would feed a stray too, but if it kept coming back, I'd simply adopt it.

As for other animals - depends on the person. Most people don't typically feed wild animals like raccoons, etc.

This is false, toss a cat outside and it'll do just fine. Most dogs larger than squirrels can figure out how to fend for themselves too. Cats become more of trash hunters, but occasionally manage to nab a bird or two. And let's be honest, house cats are really barely domesticated from wild cats.

Also, if I find a stray dog, chances are much higher that it's got some sort of collar, tag, or chip in it to be able to take it back home. Why the hell don't people do this with cats if they're so concerned about them just fucking off at any available moment?

#Muricaparrotgang

26 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Don't let it outside. I hate cats running around on the streets because they're always disgusting and eventually more show up.

Most people don't let their cats outside. The cat sneaks out or is accidentally locked out or something to that effect.

As long as they are properly leashed, the same as a dog, there are no issues with outdoor cats.

Unleashed animals - dogs and cats included, shouldn't be a thing.

This is false, toss a cat outside and it'll do just fine. Most dogs larger than squirrels can figure out how to fend for themselves too. Cats become more of trash hunters, but occasionally manage to nab a bird or two. And let's be honest, house cats are really barely domesticated from wild cats.

Some cats will do fine. Most will become malnourished and injured quickly though, as they have to fight off larger wild animals for food sources.

Outdoor cats (not even talking strays) already have a much lower life expectancy compared to an indoor house cat.

Also, if I find a stray dog, chances are much higher that it's got some sort of collar, tag, or chip in it to be able to take it back home. Why the hell don't people do this with cats if they're so concerned about them just fucking off at any available moment?

Basically any cat you get from a proper humane society will be tagged either with an electronic chip, or an identification tattoo. My older cat has the tattoo and my younger one has the chip.

This indeed should become standard though.

The reason that dogs are more likely to have a collar with identification is because dogs by their very nature need to be brought outside multiple times per day (to get exercise, and to poop).

Cats, on the other hand, basically have no reason to ever go outside.

Are you the only one who feeds said cat? If no, there's not much animal control or a humane society can do as it would not be classified as a lost animal, a cruelty case or neglect situation. It's just an owner who lets their cats go outside and doesn't answer their phone. 

Selling is not an option as you don't have the jurisdiction to claim or change ownership of said cat. Animal control and humane societies can essentially "remove ownership" for lack of better terms if there is clear evidence that the cat was a stray, or was a victim in a cruelty investigation. After which the animal will be listed as available for adoption after passing all required physical examinations, vaccines, and fixing/neutering. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Cats are evil. They wish to enslave humainity. They had done so back in ancient Egypt and they are plotting to do it again. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, JZStudios said:

well from my experience most of the animals that run way escape from the house or yard. the owner doesn't just let them out freely so don't be fucking stupid. also ANIMALS ARE MADE TO LIVE OUTSIDE. before cats or dogs or their ancestors where domesticated they lived freely in the wild.

5 hours ago, shmoochie said:

well from my experience most of the animals that run way escape from the house or yard. the owner doesn't just let them out freely so don't be fucking stupid. also ANIMALS ARE MADE TO LIVE OUTSIDE. before cats or dogs or their ancestors where domesticated they lived freely in the wild.

Actually, a lot of cat owners let their cats out so they don't have to clean a litter box. It used to be a standard practice to put cats out for the night before litter boxes started becoming common. Some dog owners without fenced yards do the same thing so the dogs will do their business somewhere other than their own yards.

Jeannie

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Actually, a lot of cat owners let their cats out so they don't have to clean a litter box. It used to be a standard practice to put cats out for the night before litter boxes started becoming common. Some dog owners without fenced yards do the same thing so the dogs will do their business somewhere other than their own yards.

animals can be trained, I let my dog out not on the leash we have no fence and she will not leave our yard at all, Ive seen her chase rabbits and birds before and as soon as she gets to the edge of the yard she will stop and turn around, if you cant train your dog to be out with no leash then keep it tied up when its outside. we used a shocking collar to train her for where she can go outside.

my dad owns a cat that he lets out too but he lives in the county and the closest neighbor is like a 2 minute drive so there is no issues with that.

if anyone lets a dog out with no leash just to have the dog poop in someone else yard well call the police and they will tell the owner to not do that anymore or they will get fined/the dog can get put on a "house arrest" where it has to be indoors at all times and when it has to go to the bathroom they will need to be leashed up. failure to follow that will result in a fine and if it keeps while its on "house arrest" they can take the animal away.

this probably depends on where you live but where I live that is what would happen.

As long as you take it to the vet and everything looks okay (not carrying any diseases or anything), why not spay/neuter and let it stick around? It won't kill the other cat, just might piss it off though because lone cats tend to think they're the center of the universe. :D

If you don't want him/her, just stop feeding it, most disappear after a while of no hand outs, and don't worry about it, cats can fend for themselves. If it still sticks around after that though, YOU GOTTA KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

On 11/7/2018 at 8:16 PM, JZStudios said:

Ya me either. Travel to a third world, heck even asian countries eat dogs and cats.

So if me or you lost a cat, we would put up signs in the area, LOST cat, then we would call the animal control officer which would tell us the animal shelter # in which we would phone to see if our lost pet was there. Just feeding the cat is like just giving a drug addict $20 every day for "Food" which these actions do have a term for, co-dependency and enabling. Like pushing the Kleenex infront of a crying person. Human nature is not always common sense.

@JZStudios

On 11/7/2018 at 9:10 PM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

How does one even know their pound is full, its not like they have vacancy rate commercials.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, shmoochie said:

Wouldnt you hope someone called it in to the animal control officer for quick retrieval of your pet?

Why would you want them to just feed your cat and do nothing else?

16 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Find a dog with a i.d. tag is good, as there should be a bylaw animal barcode # on there too. No tag, no big deal. Feeding it, why bother. Call it in. Simple. Stray perhaps, thats why you call it in. Simple.

15 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Are you the only one who feeds said cat? If no, there's not much animal control or a humane society can do as it would not be classified as a lost animal, a cruelty case or neglect situation. It's just an owner who lets their cats go outside and doesn't answer their phone. 

Selling is not an option as you don't have the jurisdiction to claim or change ownership of said cat. Animal control and humane societies can essentially "remove ownership" for lack of better terms if there is clear evidence that the cat was a stray, or was a victim in a cruelty investigation. After which the animal will be listed as available for adoption after passing all required physical examinations, vaccines, and fixing/neutering. 

Its yours after a while as long as you put effort into searching for the owner. Whatever the local laws state.

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

...Stray perhaps, thats why you call it in. Simple...

It's not always so simple. Where I live (the most populated County in AZ), the County shelters (there are no City shelters) are overcrowded and underfunded. Animal control will respond to stray dogs only if the dog has become a danger to people. The Sheriff's office responds only to reported animal abuse. The county shelters will accept dogs turned in by citizens but are not funded to accept cats so it cost citizens $100 to get the shelter to accept them (I suspect they are quickly euthanized since $100 won't support any animal for long in a shelter).

The SPCA doesn't maintain shelters here. The Local Humane Society has limited capacity for animals. There are some small, independent or donation funded shelters but they are also usually full (a few are of questionable quality; every few years, there are reports of the Sheriff's department closing one down and rescuing some of the animals there due to poor conditions; many of the animals need to be put down).

Jeannie

4 hours ago, shmoochie said:

animals can be trained, I let my dog out not on the leash we have no fence and she will not leave our yard at all, Ive seen her chase rabbits and birds before and as soon as she gets to the edge of the yard she will stop and turn around, if you cant train your dog to be out with no leash then keep it tied up when its outside. we used a shocking collar to train her for where she can go outside.

my dad owns a cat that he lets out too but he lives in the county and the closest neighbor is like a 2 minute drive so there is no issues with that.

if anyone lets a dog out with no leash just to have the dog poop in someone else yard well call the police and they will tell the owner to not do that anymore or they will get fined/the dog can get put on a "house arrest" where it has to be indoors at all times and when it has to go to the bathroom they will need to be leashed up. failure to follow that will result in a fine and if it keeps while its on "house arrest" they can take the animal away.

this probably depends on where you live but where I live that is what would happen.

I wasn't referring to responsible dog owners such as yourself. The ones that let their dogs loose to soil yards other than their own are a minority.

You are correct about animal enforcement depending on where one lives. In the County where I live, the City Police do not enforce people letting dogs run loose or even deal with barking dogs. The County will go after strays only if they are dangerous (poopers. trash can robbers, and barkers are not considered dangerous) and warn the owners of nuisance dogs, such as barkers, and enforce the warnings only in extreme cases. It's illegal to dump animals but it happens all the time because there are no funds for enforcement. 

Rural settings are completely different from urban settings.

Jeannie

2 hours ago, Canada EH said:

@JZStudios

Wouldnt you hope someone called it in to the animal control officer for quick retrieval of your pet?

Why would you want them to just feed your cat and do nothing else?

nope where I live its a $50 fee to get your animal back from the pound. Id rather have them feed it so it stays then post in lets say my towns facebook group asking whos cat it is. or id put up lost cat posters and hope they call me