VPN ads

Yuugi

I started using PIA after seeing it on the youtube channel and everyone else was always saying that they are very important to have.  The app doesnt run on my phone (android) and just causes my internet to not work so I havent been running it.  

Why do I continue to see ads for products I've researched on my pc?  I thought that this was supposed to stop that.

8 minutes ago, Yuugi said:

I started using PIA after seeing it on the youtube channel and everyone else was always saying that they are very important to have.  The app doesnt run on my phone (android) and just causes my internet to not work so I havent been running it.  

Why do I continue to see ads for products I've researched on my pc?  I thought that this was supposed to stop that.

Because your browser keeps track of where you go an cookies are what allow you to be targeted.  If you're not clearing cookies then your browser, regardless of how you connect to the internet, is going to "report" your history.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, Yuugi said:

There is much more you need to do if you want to stop seeing targeted ads. You need to be logged out of your browser, or at least disable the targeted google ads in your google account settings, along with a bunch of other stupid settings.

You need to disable WebRTC headers in your browser if you actually want your VPN to hide your real ip address too.

You should use a tracker blocker like Ghostery or a VPN with tracker blocking included like F-Secure Freedome.

If you need a good free VPN use ProtonVPN. Its the only free one with unlimited data that i trust. Many VPNs out there are actually just adware or spyware themselves.

or you could download firefox android version and install ublock origin firefox add-on. 

VPNs dont stop profile-based targetted advertising, all they do is bypass ISP-based data collection and geo-restrictions.

22 minutes ago, AlexOak said:

or you could download firefox android version and install ublock origin firefox add-on. 

How is the firefox android app?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

18 minutes ago, nick name said:

For ads on android, you can use something kind of like a VPN, but using an HOSTS file locally, it will get rid of most ads. No root required.

For example, this app which you can buy(support the dev)
Or get the free open source version of it on Github. (No dev support, it's not piracy, read the description on the Google Play page, right at the bottom they even offer it there)

After installing it, you'll just need a hosts file of your choosing, like this one (right click > save as...) and select it on the app.
Enable the VPN service on your android device by flipping the big switch in the middle to Green.

Make it start automatically on StartUp by clicking the + sign and switching the obvious "On startup" button to Green.

After which you'll suddenly be nearly ad free on not just browsing but many apps as well. (Of course, some ads will still get through, especially in apps, but that can probably be fixed depending on the host file used)

If you still get a lot of ads on chrome(especially on Android 9), the dev says to do the following to make sure the VPN Hosts works.

This problem seems to be caused by chrome. please test this ,
1,launch chrome
2,Enter the URL “chrome://flags”, without quotes, into the address bar.
3,Search "dns"
4,Set the “Async DNS” option to “Disabled” and close the tab.
https://www.androidsage.com/2018/01/25/how-to-fix-adhell-2-not-working-chrome/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, nick name said:

It works like the PC counter-part and it lets you install add-on through the Firefox addon page like you would in the PC version. Although your experience my vary, but for me it works wonders and saves me a lot of time and data when surfing the web and watching ad free video.