Accelero Hybrid on R9 290 Bad Load Temps

Go to solution Solved by Prophet of Entropy,

I meant cleaning the rad, not the cold plate, special cleaners are really only needed when your going to use a liquid metal TIM.  I recently cleaned my HTPC (old main rig)  3 year old asetek cooler's rad by putting the rad in a bucket of very hot soapy water and dunking it for 15 mins to clean it better then just blowing it off. it helped a supprising amount, the rad had looked clean but made the water fairly brown.

some stress tests put unreallistic loads on the hardware (furmark is bad for this, really really bad depending on the version, but good if your benching max power draw) .  why I don't really care about stress test heats.  run your most demanding game on the highest settings you plan on using and monitor the heat during that.

Hi,

So my friend had a GTX 570 with an accelero hybrid on it. That card came to the end of its days so he upgraded. He assured me that the temps were fine on the old 570 and that the Accelero hybrid still worked fine. He didn't need it anymore as he upgraded to an MSI card with a Twin Frozr cooler on it. I have an R9 290 and the sound and the temps on it are just a joke.. So he gave the hybrid to me.

Ive installed it on my card now with no problems. However, its almost as if the pump doesn't speed up when load is put onto the card. I can idle at about 38-40 but not even 5 minutes into running a game or stress testing the temps sky rocket to 90+ then i have to exit the program so it doesn't go above 100 and the temps return to idle in about 3 or 4 minutes. 

I'm not sure why its doing this. I've spent all day trying to fix it, I've pulled the thing apart about 3 or 4 times and re applied thermal compound each time. Im only putting a mini pea sized dot/line of arctic silver 5 each time and every time ive pulled it off again the coverage and the thickness of the thermal compound on the GPU seem perfect. So im certain this is not a thermal compound issue. 

Is anyone able to help me out? My GPU is not usable with it like this, i would have been better off keeping the reference cooler on then as it is now...

Thanks in advance,

Ntave2

Hmm... what fans are are you using and i what config?

Thats MY opinion up there, not the ultimate option.

The way that the AMD cards work is that they go to what ever temperature you set and they will stay below that. The card will turn down the pump to keep the temps at 90C.

Quote me to get a reply!

that's probably the way that the 290 is made to work. it will oc itself to a "safe" temperature, independent of the cooler configuration

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

well you could always put a bigger rad on the accelero since the slim 120 it comes with isn't super awesome.  also the new generation of amd cards are designed to run at 95C so all the components were chosen with that operating temp in mind.

the pump running faster wont make it run cooler, add another fan to the rad or get a bigger rad or get a faster fan, or go back stock.

with thick thermal pastes like artic silver 5 you get bad thermal performance with low mounting pressure setups like on GPUs during the 3-4 hour burn-in period that paste requires. and artic silver 5 isn't a high performance TIM, its about as good as much easier to use TIMs like artic mx-4 and icy diamond.

oh, and the 290's TDP is like 30% higher then a 570's so expect it to run a lot hotter then when it was on your friends card.

Hmm... what fans are are you using and i what config?

At the moment ive just got my corsair case fan in a push config sitting outside the case as he kept the fan and i havent had time to buy some rad fans yet.

The way that the AMD cards work is that they go to what ever temperature you set and they will stay below that. The card will turn down the pump to keep the temps at 90C.

How do I adjust the maximum temp for the card? Because the temps on the graph are not even close to leveling out at 95C 

At the moment ive just got my corsair case fan in a push config sitting outside the case as he kept the fan and i havent had time to buy some rad fans yet.

this is your problem right here, a case fan isn't pressure optimized and the rad is a high fin per inch rad and it need a pressure fan.  2 would work slightly better.

this is your problem right here, a case fan isn't pressure optimized and the rad is a high fin per inch rad and it need a pressure fan.  2 would work slightly better.

I just took my 2 sp120's off my H100i and put them on the hyrbrid rad in push/pull. I also made sure the max fan allowance is on 100% and the target temp for the card is 70. The idle temps dropped a little to about 36 but when i run at 100% on a stress test the card levels off at about 95-100C  this is way better than before but its almost as if the pump isnt speeding up when the card starts to work more. Ive seen other forums where people are saying that they are getting 35 idle and 60-70 load with an overclock  on the exact same card and set up. Also when it gets to about 90C the pump starts making this weird clicking noise, is this normal?  

the pump speeding up really shouldn't matter very much for cooling. as far as I know it doesn't even have a variable speed pump.  simple fact is an AIO cooler will get worse and worse temps over time. given it was on a 570 before this, its what 2 years old? just cause it "never needs maintenance" doesn't mean the coolant wont degrade over time or evaporate through microscopic holes. they have a 2 year limited warranty. how did you clean it before you installed it? did your buddy smoke around his computer?

also does your accelero rad get cool ambient air? or is it acting as an exhaust with an air cooled cpu.  there's lots of reasons other people may be getting better temps then you.

custom loops are nice since you can take them apart clean them to like new, add new coolant and it preforms like it was new.

the ticking is cavitation, that its happening is bad.

simple fact is its a copper aluminum loop which means if the coolant isn't in balance or goes bad your gonna get corrosion. it can happen in new cars, coolant gets contaminated and a car that less then 6 months old has a radiator rot from the inside out.

the pump speeding up really shouldn't matter very much for cooling. as far as I know it doesn't even have a variable speed pump.  simple fact is an AIO cooler will get worse and worse temps over time. given it was on a 570 before this, its what 2 years old? just cause it "never needs maintenance" doesn't mean the coolant wont degrade over time or evaporate through microscopic holes. they have a 2 year limited warranty. how did you clean it before you installed it? did your buddy smoke around his computer?

also does your accelero rad get cool ambient air? or is it acting as an exhaust with an air cooled cpu.  there's lots of reasons other people may be getting better temps then you.

custom loops are nice since you can take them apart clean them to like new, add new coolant and it preforms like it was new.

the ticking is cavitation, that its happening is bad.

simple fact is its a copper aluminum loop which means if the coolant isn't in balance or goes bad your gonna get corrosion. it can happen in new cars, coolant gets contaminated and a car that less then 6 months old has a radiator rot from the inside out.

Nah he doesnt smoke. And i have been using the Actric 2 stage CPU/heatsink cleaner with a lint free cloth. I have it set up to pull air in from the bottom of the front of the case and my h100i is exhausting out the top of the case.

I have been using the stress test program 'FurMark' and thats the one that would push the GPU upto 90-100. I just tested another stress test program called OCCT and i seem to get 65C on load when i use that program. Both say the GPU is at 100% load but for some reason FurMark just rapes the GPU and it really struggles. Is that the point of this particular stress test? Do you have any recommendations for GPU stress/load testing programs?

Thanks heaps for you help so far

I meant cleaning the rad, not the cold plate, special cleaners are really only needed when your going to use a liquid metal TIM.  I recently cleaned my HTPC (old main rig)  3 year old asetek cooler's rad by putting the rad in a bucket of very hot soapy water and dunking it for 15 mins to clean it better then just blowing it off. it helped a supprising amount, the rad had looked clean but made the water fairly brown.

some stress tests put unreallistic loads on the hardware (furmark is bad for this, really really bad depending on the version, but good if your benching max power draw) .  why I don't really care about stress test heats.  run your most demanding game on the highest settings you plan on using and monitor the heat during that.