Ryzen Windows 10 Hanging

tp95112

Just set up my pc on a fresh install of windows. The system will hang randomly. App and explorer will just stop responding and downloads will freeze. When this happens I would restart and it will either be stuck in the restart screen or restart into a black screen and I need to do a hard restart. I'm running the latest bios, and installed recent chipset drivers for my motherboard. This is a half old half new build with a stock 780ti and a ocz zt bronze 650w psu. Am I missing anything which is causing this?

Also is edc at 100% of 90a normal? I'm using ryzen balance power profile with 20% processor state

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor $349.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $168.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $160.99 @ Newegg Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $679.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-02 16:27 EDT-0400  

Have you tried hooking up a different psu?

I really dont see a problem with the components tho.

Could it be the bootdrive ? 

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

1 minute ago, BelgianNoise said:

Have you tried hooking up a different psu?

I really dont see a problem with the components tho.

Could it be the bootdrive ? 

I have three of the same psu so I cant really find one to switch. Boot drive was fine even in my previous build

Same models are fine but (chance is small) one might be a little broken. So unlikely but ive never encountered a full freeze over and over again. 

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

is there a pattern when it will freeze? like is it specifically with a certain set of apps open, a certain amount of ram used, etc?

She/Her

13 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

Same models are fine but (chance is small) one might be a little broken. So unlikely but ive never encountered a full freeze over and over again. 

Im not sure if this is due to my being on windows 1803, which I've heard is having problems or msi having a bad bios and causing this OR my 780ti has a bad driver cause it's so old

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

is there a pattern when it will freeze? like is it specifically with a certain set of apps open, a certain amount of ram used, etc?

I notice it happens when i'm downloading with Battle.net app. Also happened once when I closed cs1.6

Well try watching yt and wait for a freeze. Stilll getting sound then probably gpu stuffs

5 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

I notice it happens when i'm downloading with Battle.net app. Also happened once when I closed cs1.6

interesting. i don't know what cs1.6 is, so there's that... 

i'd definetely try reinstalling the blizzard app. if possible also try reinstalling the cs1.6 thing. 

if possible monitor ram usage on a second screen or something. i had random hangs before with my old pc where my entire system locked up when i did something memory intensive, which turned out to be a motherboard faillure causing ram issues. 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

interesting. i don't know what cs1.6 is, so there's that... 

i'd definetely try reinstalling the blizzard app. if possible also try reinstalling the cs1.6 thing. 

if possible monitor ram usage on a second screen or something. i had random hangs where my entire system locked up when i did something memory intensive, which turned out to be a motherboard faillure causing ram issues. 

counterstrike 1.6

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

ah ok. that's not too memory intensive is it? 

nope

Try turning Power Supply Idle Control to typical current idle in the BIOS it helped me
I have Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 Tomahawk and the same RAM runing at 2933 on XMP Profile 2 on the newest BIOS

2 minutes ago, Athov said:

Try turning Power Supply Idle Control to typical current idle in the BIOS it helped me

Was this a fix for EDC or the other problem?

The freezing
Before EDC was stuck on 100% aka red

This is after the Power Supply Idle Controlimage.png.c823634b24f43c140f2f1fb38a169aea.png

16 minutes ago, Athov said:

The freezing
Before EDC was stuck on 100% aka red

This is after the Power Supply Idle Controlimage.png.c823634b24f43c140f2f1fb38a169aea.png

Still at 99-100%. When switch from ryzen to power saving state, it goes down to 33%

This is my power plan and i have turned off fast boot it was giving me black screen when restarting
image.png.e01f33e1e5bef3ff0cba211c545d91c0.pngimage.png.ddcfc29928d605a00c5eb946aa34f195.pngimage.png.f2bce90f974ba2c24097b3c146e8dd10.pngimage.png.fba18d4c99ee86e2d76daa5babe8927c.png

12 hours ago, tp95112 said:

I have three of the same psu so I cant really find one to switch. Boot drive was fine even in my previous build

Maybe those old OCZ ZT are just incompatible and don't work because they are too old?!
Why didn't you get a new PSU and had to reuse your 7 Year old thing?!

Its entirely possible that that ancient design is the cause of your trouble because it wasn't designed to handle the transients fo modern components.

So pls replace it with a decent mid range PSU like Bitfenix Formula. 450W is enough, more Watt doesn't mean lasts longer, it only means more watt.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 11/3/2018 at 5:20 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Maybe those old OCZ ZT are just incompatible and don't work because they are too old?!
Why didn't you get a new PSU and had to reuse your 7 Year old thing?!

Its entirely possible that that ancient design is the cause of your trouble because it wasn't designed to handle the transients fo modern components.

So pls replace it with a decent mid range PSU like Bitfenix Formula. 450W is enough, more Watt doesn't mean lasts longer, it only means more watt.

It works fine now.

2 hours ago, tp95112 said:

It works fine now.

...until it explodes and your Components die with no apparant Reason...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"