Astell & Kern revealed their new flagship digital audio player - the AK240

snowComet

Astell & Kern was known for their expensive high end audio player, like the AK100 & AK120. In CES 2014, they have revealed their new flagship model, AK240.

AK240 is a digital audio player that runs on custom OS, not Android. It includes a 3.31in AMOLED touchscreen with 800x480 resolution; Dual Cirrus Logic 4398 Digital-to-Analogue Converter chipsets and native DSD support – including DSD64 and DSD128 files. It also includes T256GB internal memory, and a microSD card slot supporting up to 64GB of microSD card storage.

ak240.jpg

spec_img01.jpg

This player will be available in q1 2014. For its price, it is not yet confirmed, but there are some rumors over head-fi.org that it may priced at $2400. Interestingly, this player is now available for pre-order in Hong Kong for HK$29,000 (around USD$3700) .

http://www.whathifi.com/news/astell-kern-unveils-new-ak240-portable-audio-player-at-ces

product page:

http://www.astellnkern.com/kor/htm/ak240/ak240_feature.asp

TBH, it would be ridiculously expensive if the price is really $2400 ( or even $3700 ). I would buy Sony's ZX1, or the AK100 MK II if I want a digital audio player.

That seems LUDICROUSLY expensive for a music player O-o

What the hell are they charging for?

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Could they make one that is under £100 because then I could actually buy one. I have been looking for a decent music player for a while but they are all either too expensive (£1000+) or they are too cheap and are crap.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Could they make one that is under £100 because then I could actually buy one. I have been looking for a decent music player for a while but they are all either too expensive (£1000+) or they are too cheap and are crap.

Sansa Clip+

Yeah...my 120gb ipod classic works fine...I'll just keep using it

For that price... My reaction was the same as the avatar above me.

Signatures are stupid.

Sansa Clip+

Thanks, that is a really cool little music player. it even plays FLAC. Do you know if you can use Sennheiser 558's with it though. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

256GB?, time to load up this with all FLACs! 

'Looks at price'

81ee1ad59873af4dfdc7737529a7ddf1f46ebc58

Thanks, that is a really cool little music player. it even plays FLAC. Do you know if you can use Sennheiser 558's with it though. 

The 558's might be a bit of a stretch. The problem is that while the Sansa Clip+ might be able to drive them properly for the most part, the 558's has a massive impedance spike (several it goes above 200 ohm if I recall correctly) at some frequencies and they might not get enough power for that. Your best bet is to Google it.

Another really good Hi-Fi company called Fiio already has. They released their new Fiio X3 just last year for just $200 USD. They also have a higher end (X5) and lower end (X1) in the works.

The 558's might be a bit of a stretch. The problem is that while the Sansa Clip+ might be able to drive them properly for the most part, the 558's has a massive impedance spike (several it goes above 200 ohm if I recall correctly) at some frequencies and they might not get enough power for that. Your best bet is to Google it.

No it's 50 ohm.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Another really good Hi-Fi company called Fiio already has. They released their new Fiio X3 just last year for just $200 USD. They also have a higher end (X5) and lower end (X1) in the works.

Thanks a bunch. Because of you I have finally found a replacement cable for my 558's. The cable that comes with the headphones is way too long and the connector needs a converter that comes with it to fit into the standard sized jack port so it sticks out too much. The one I found is really nice too and cheap.

(\__/)

(='.'=)