2080 ti failing issues

Acceptive
Go to solution Solved by Jrasero,
13 hours ago, Acceptive said:

So for the past few days many people are reporting their 2080 tis failing.  I have decided that I wanted to buy one but I am just curious if anyone has any idea of how many cards are failing and the chance this will happen to me.  I am looking at buying a gigabyte card from newegg.  However I want to make sure that I am covered if my card indeed does not work.  Has anyone had experiences with newegg when it comes to their 30 day replacement policies?  Will they honor this if my card is defective?

IMO RTX 2080 Ti failures are overstated and seem to be mostly Nvidia FE cards, yeah some MSI cards have been mentioned but I would say 9/10 cards I read about are defective Nvidia ones.  With this said, Newegg for most cards has a replacement return policy only but the problem is that these cards have rarely been in stock and I am not sure Newegg carries replacement stock.  Honestly no matter where you buy your card from I would simply get a EVGA RTX 2080 Ti card.  In my experience they have the best customer service and they tend to have replacement stock readily on hand.  There ARMA process is pretty great however it does require you to pay for shipping, but it does allow you keep your current card until your replacement comes.  With ARMA EVGA provides you a label to send back the defective card.  I just did a ARMA for my RTX 2080 Ti that had clicking fans upon startup and paid $40 for 2nd day shipping and got my replacement card asap, but the replacement however had horrendous coil whine, didn't overclock nearly as well, ran hotter, and still had the clicking noise lol.         

So for the past few days many people are reporting their 2080 tis failing.  I have decided that I wanted to buy one but I am just curious if anyone has any idea of how many cards are failing and the chance this will happen to me.  I am looking at buying a gigabyte card from newegg.  However I want to make sure that I am covered if my card indeed does not work.  Has anyone had experiences with newegg when it comes to their 30 day replacement policies?  Will they honor this if my card is defective?

9 minutes ago, Acceptive said:

Well a warranty is a warranty. If your card dies of "natural" causes, the manufacturer should replace the card. Alternatively, you can talk to newegg support about it and see if they do anything to help with an RMA or if you can return it to them directly.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

13 hours ago, Acceptive said:

IMO RTX 2080 Ti failures are overstated and seem to be mostly Nvidia FE cards, yeah some MSI cards have been mentioned but I would say 9/10 cards I read about are defective Nvidia ones.  With this said, Newegg for most cards has a replacement return policy only but the problem is that these cards have rarely been in stock and I am not sure Newegg carries replacement stock.  Honestly no matter where you buy your card from I would simply get a EVGA RTX 2080 Ti card.  In my experience they have the best customer service and they tend to have replacement stock readily on hand.  There ARMA process is pretty great however it does require you to pay for shipping, but it does allow you keep your current card until your replacement comes.  With ARMA EVGA provides you a label to send back the defective card.  I just did a ARMA for my RTX 2080 Ti that had clicking fans upon startup and paid $40 for 2nd day shipping and got my replacement card asap, but the replacement however had horrendous coil whine, didn't overclock nearly as well, ran hotter, and still had the clicking noise lol.         

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

2 hours ago, Jrasero said:

Thanks for the information.  I will look at getting an EVGA.  I too have heard great things about their customer service.  Yea it does sound that there are defects with the cards so I think i'll wait a little while.

2 hours ago, Jrasero said:

ah, also do you know how Gigabyte's customer service is?

41 minutes ago, Acceptive said:

ah, also do you know how Gigabyte's customer service is?

Not nearly as good as EVGA.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 hour ago, TahoeDust said:

Not nearly as good as EVGA.

I mean if you can score a card at Best Buy or Micro Center which tend to have very good return policies then sure, I just would never buy from Nvidia directly due to their piss poor CS.  I don't want to come off as racist especially since my wife is Filipino but their customer service that is based in the Philippines is absolutely horrid.  Those people know NOTHING about the cards and it is like talking to a brick wall.  When I call EVGA it's 24/7 customer service and you get someone who probably owns the product and sympathizes with you.  I had a technical question one time for my prior GTX Gigabyte G1 1070 so I called technical support and good lord was it like pulling teeth.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

22 minutes ago, Jrasero said:

I mean if you can score a card at Best Buy or Micro Center which tend to have very good return policies then sure, I just would never buy from Nvidia directly due to their piss poor CS.  I don't want to come off as racist especially since my wife is Filipino but their customer service that is based in the Philippines is absolutely horrid.  Those people know NOTHING about the cards and it is like talking to a brick wall.  When I call EVGA it's 24/7 customer service and you get someone who probably owns the product and sympathizes with you.  I had a technical question one time for my prior GTX Gigabyte G1 1070 so I called technical support and good lord was it like pulling teeth.  

Agreed about Gigabyte support.  WIth EVGA I know I can call 24hrs a day and get a person that I can understand try to help me, and if he can't their RMA is top notch.  EVGA's customer service is the exception these days.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB