Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

small form factor power supply

Alexrcherry

I have built a custom small form factor case but my existing power supply doesn't fit. I was wondering if the metal jacket surrounding the power supply has a function as I was planning on removing it. Does it prevent electrical interference from the transformers used in the power supply ? This is extremely important because it will be in very close proximity to my motherboard.

9 minutes ago, Alexrcherry said:

I have built a custom small form factor case but my existing power supply doesn't fit. I was wondering if the metal jacket surrounding the power supply has a function as I was planning on removing it. Does it prevent electrical interference from the transformers used in the power supply ? This is extremely important because it will be in very close proximity to my motherboard.

That usually should not be removed as it could cause damage to your computer hardware potentially and I would recommend that you use another case if you need to use a different form factor power supply and it does have something to do with blocking electrical interference (also prevents some isolation between your hardware and the heat from the PSU which could cause some hardware based damage) and also damage to your hardware is the system gets sharked because it also secures its position.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

There are small form factor PSUs, are you using an ATX PSU or an SFX PSU?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

That usually should not be removed as it could cause damage to your computer hardware potentially and I would recommend that you use another case if you need to use a different form factor power supply and it does have something to do with blocking electrical interference (also prevents some isolation between your hardware and the heat from the PSU which could cause some hardware based damage and also damage to your hardware is the system gets sharked because it also secures its position.

Im pretty determined to modify it to fit. I think i'll take the fan off the top and put several smaller fans then cut the metal and epoxy it back together into a protective cage. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

18 minutes ago, Alexrcherry said:

No the only purpose of the jacket is so you don't kill yourself. Take it off at your own risk.

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

There are small form factor PSUs, are you using an ATX PSU or an SFX PSU?

I believe it's atx. I want to use it because i couldn't find anything that would fit that has a similar power rating (500w).

A lot of power supplies need air flow over components. The air is often directed across some hotter parts and exiting out the case, so the case helps with that.

Yes, if you remove the case you may have issues with "noise" from transformer and mosfets inside the power supply but you'll also need to have air flow over the components.

15 minutes ago, Alexrcherry said:

I believe it's atx. I want to use it because i couldn't find anything that would fit that has a similar power rating (500w).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1296093-REG/silverstone_st45sf_v3_450w_80_plus_bronze.html?ap=y&gclid=CjwKCAjwyOreBRAYEiwAR2mSknsMiqdpmc6nc2_mh6PJFyn5e1S8ojKblQ-3Enx4bWHHtKE1uqIaUxoCxRkQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Check this out

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, mariushm said:

A lot of power supplies need air flow over components. The air is often directed across some hotter parts and exiting out the case, so the case helps with that.

Yes, if you remove the case you may have issues with "noise" from transformer and mosfets inside the power supply but you'll also need to have air flow over the components.

Will a sheet of steel from the jacket of the power supply inbetween the components and the motherboard stop the noise that could affect the computers components? or do I have to completely surround like a faraday cage to stop noise? I will use multiple smaller fans to get airflow over the power supply components and heat sinks. 

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Thanks for looking but the height is too big (2.5in). If I mod my power supply I should be able to reduce it to a height of approximately 1.8 in.

1 minute ago, GrogStache said:

Here's the 500w PSU I'm going to go with for my build. Not sure if the length would work for you, but it's pretty small otherwise:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/X3WfrH/fsp-group-500w-80-gold-certified-flex-atx-power-supply-fsp500-50fggbn

That psu would be ideal but the $109 makes it worth it to me to try to mod my own. Thanks for showing me that.

42 minutes ago, Alexrcherry said:

Im pretty determined to modify it to fit. I think i'll take the fan off the top and put several smaller fans then cut the metal and epoxy it back together into a protective cage. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

In the end, it is your decision to make if you are going to modify the case or not. There are a few additional hazards such as of going within the lines of voiding your warranty or the cage could break off and damage a fan or PC hardware based component or cause potentially a block if you want to install certain hardware additionally like other drives such as an optical drive. Besides that, if you understand the risks and are willing to face them occur in the worst case then I would recommend to use creativity to the fullest of your ability to try and make a solution which would allow for your case to be able to house a different power supply.

Hope that this information helps,   @Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

In the end, it is your decision to make if you are going to modify the case or not. There are a few additional hazards such as of going within the lines of voiding your warranty or the cage could break off and damage a fan or PC hardware based component or cause potentially a block if you want to install certain hardware additionally like other drives such as an optical drive. Besides that, if you understand the risks and are willing to face them occur in the worst case then I would recommend to use creativity to the fullest of your ability to try and make a solution which would allow for your case to be able to house a different power supply.

Hope that this information helps,   @Boomwebsearch

Thanks for your time and helpful advice!

What is the specification of your computer?  Parts etc ... what are you trying to power?

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What is the specification of your computer?  Parts etc ... what are you trying to power?

Ryzen 5 2400g and rx 580 and a 3d printer ( printrbot with heated bed and v6 j-head)

That's weird. Why the RX 580 on a computer for 3d printing?

Dude, the 2400g uses around 50-80w , the rx 580 uses up to around 230w , and a quick google search sayd printrbot needs 12v at 6a so another 70w ... mb will use maybe 20-30w ... so in all that's gonna 350-400w on 12v so you'd need a 550w or higher psu

I don't understand the 2400g AND the RX 580 tho... are you gonna game while you're powering a 3d printer ?

You could just use a separate power supply for the 3d printer, fr example something like this : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/LRS-100-12/1866-3312-ND/7705004

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That's weird. Why the RX 580 on a computer for 3d printing?

Dude, the 2400g uses around 50-80w , the rx 580 uses up to around 230w , and a quick google search sayd printrbot needs 12v at 6a so another 70w ... mb will use maybe 20-30w ... so in all that's gonna 350-400w on 12v so you'd need a 550w or higher psu

I don't understand the 2400g AND the RX 580 tho... are you gonna game while you're powering a 3d printer ?

You could just use a separate power supply for the 3d printer, fr example something like this : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/LRS-100-12/1866-3312-ND/7705004

Im assuming that I'll never be at the full draw of my printer or computer at once. Additionally those 12v psu are know for catching on fire so i want to use something with quality components. I haven't bought a rx 580 yet but was planning to get one because they are coming down in price. I want a fairly capable cpu as I do 3d design in Fusion 360, Maya and Mudbox. I already have the 500w power supply and have a fair amount of electrical knowledge. Do you have a better recommendation for GPU?

if you want a good cpu, then go for a ryzen 2600, that's pretty much the best ratio performance price. i don't think you'd really use a RX 580 to the fullest in software like Fusion 360 or Maya, I think you'll be fine with a RX 570 (under 175w) or probably even a GTX 1050 / GTX 1050 Ti (around 75w power consumption)

Well, if you have the 500w already, good luck modding it.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

if you want a good cpu, then go for a ryzen 2600, that's pretty much the best ratio performance price. i don't think you'd really use a RX 580 to the fullest in software like Fusion 360 or Maya, I think you'll be fine with a RX 570 (under 175w) or probably even a GTX 1050 / GTX 1050 Ti (around 75w power consumption)

Well, if you have the 500w already, good luck modding it.

Thanks so much for your gpu advice I'll take it into consideration. 

3 minutes ago, Alexrcherry said:

Thanks so much for your gpu advice I'll take it into consideration. 

id probably say the 1050 or 1050ti because they perform a little worse than the rx 580 but they draw way less power and draw power directly from the pcie slot.

31 minutes ago, Shyam Ganapathy said:

id probably say the 1050 or 1050ti because they perform a little worse than the rx 580 but they draw way less power and draw power directly from the pcie slot.

Thanks!