Wifi speed

ivanteng

Just out of curiosity, is it just me or is my internet provider providing me with more wifi than they package stated? not complaining or anything, but I've a lot of different sites such as Ookla, google and even the internet provider's speed test for wifi. On my internet package it says up to 150 Mbps but on the other website they all say 170- 180 Mbps. Lol. Oh and one question, even though I have 180 Mbps, the download speed for my game is still very slow only 15-30 Mbps on steam, why is that? no background task open or anything like that, just steam download speed. 

Internet speed is measured in megabits. The reported download and upload speeds you are getting are measured in megabytes.

1 megabit = 0.125 megabyte

Regarding the fact you are getting a higher reported speed then you are paying for - It's normal for there to be some variation in your internet speed at different times.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

A lot of providers overprovision by a certain amount, so it's not unusual to get 'another 20 megabit' or similar.

Also as per others there are 8 bits in a byte, 8 mbps ~= 1 MB/sec.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

21 hours ago, ivanteng said:

Just out of curiosity, is it just me or is my internet provider providing me with more wifi than they package stated? not complaining or anything, but I've a lot of different sites such as Ookla, google and even the internet provider's speed test for wifi. On my internet package it says up to 150 Mbps but on the other website they all say 170- 180 Mbps. Lol. Oh and one question, even though I have 180 Mbps, the download speed for my game is still very slow only 15-30 Mbps on steam, why is that? no background task open or anything like that, just steam download speed. 

Comcast is known to over provision connections by as much as 20%. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.