dualchannel + single, possible?

i currently have my ram on dual channel on : a2 + b2, now i wanna add another ram slot to have 12gb ram (currently have 8gb)

is it possible to still have the dual channel functioning even if i add another ram on Single channel on its own ?

motherboard : asus b85m-e/csm 1150

ram: 4x2 ddr3 1600, (wanting to add another 4gb)

If two DIMMs are used and one is larger than the other, it maps dual channel size to the smaller and the remainder on the larger DIMM is mapped to single channel use.

I'm thinking that it will force all three to run single channel. If you have the RAM, just give it a try. Set the motherboard not to show the fancy POST screen, but the regular text screen. It should say what mode the RAM is running in on the POST screen. It may actually say in the BIOS itself, not sure.

However all that said, I wouldn't for two fold reasons:

1. It may cause weird issues like BSOD's or restarts. 

2. If it does work, running in single channel mode will negatively impact system performance.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, Optane^ said:

If two DIMMs are used and one is larger than the other, it maps dual channel size to the smaller and the remainder on the larger DIMM is mapped to single channel use. 

so if im getting this right, the dual channel function gets nullified by the addition of the other single ram?

Just now, squallypo said:

so if im getting this right, the dual channel function gets nullified by the addition of the other single ram?

I believe so. Because it can't run quad or triple. I would give it a shot and see what happens. It should't hurt your system.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 minute ago, squallypo said:

No, some motherboards have a mixed mode where two RAM sticks are dual channel with the other in single channel, rather than just make the entire thing single channel.

It's just so that the first 8GB of memory can be accessed at dual channel speed of theoretical max of 24GB/s and last 4GB of memory with single channel theoretical speed of 12GB/s.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, some motherboards have a mixed mode where two RAM sticks are dual channel with the other in single channel, rather than just make the entire thing single channel.

It depends on the MOBO itself, that's why I'd just go ahead and try it.

-

Your two current sticks will remain in dual-channel while the new stick will be in single-channel. 

19 minutes ago, squallypo said:

You will still have access to dual-channel for your A2 and B2 sticks. A1 will run in single-channel. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Your two current sticks will remain in dual-channel while the new stick will be in single-channel. 

You will still have access to dual-channel for your A2 and B2 sticks. A1 will run in single-channel. 

so its possible to get it to work !? ill be using b1 slot since a1 is near the cpu fan so theres no room in there, hence why im looking to do 3/4 ram slots.

1 hour ago, squallypo said:

so its possible to get it to work !? ill be using b1 slot since a1 is near the cpu fan so theres no room in there, hence why im looking to do 3/4 ram slots.

I think you're just going to have to try it. What others are saying, it should work.

-