240hz + G-sync monitor question

Fr4nt1s3k
Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,

I would personally go for the 240hz as they are usually better than the 144hz in quality and have gsync. Also no need to put the refresh rate at 144hz when you have gsync enabled. It will match the refresh rate to your fps so there won't be any screen tearing which is nice in games running under 100 fps. 

Hello, I'm currently planning to upgrade my 1080p 60hz monitor to ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q (1080p, 60hz, G-sync).

I often play strategy games (Age of Empires II, Europa Universalis IV), RPG games (Witcher 3...) and World of Tanks.
I also play FPS games like Fortnite with my friend and we want to play a bit more competitively.

My current PC delivers about 100-240 (180 average) fps in Fortnite, 60-70 fps in Witcher. I have MSI GTX 106 6GB (recently upgraded from 960) + i5 4460.
I've looked at monitor prices and some 240hz monitors are actually cheaper than 144hz at some shops (ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q - LED monitor 24"). So... buy 240hz and lock at 144hz?

I've heard G-sync makes fps drops smoother and locks FPS somehow. 

What do you guys suggest? 240hz or 144hz?

6 minutes ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

Hello, I'm currently planning to upgrade my 1080p 60hz monitor to ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q (1080p, 60hz, G-sync).

I often play strategy games (Age of Empires II, Europa Universalis IV), RPG games (Witcher 3...) and World of Tanks.
I also play FPS games like Fortnite with my friend and we want to play a bit more competitively.

My current PC delivers about 100-240 (180 average) fps in Fortnite, 60-70 fps in Witcher. I have MSI GTX 106 6GB (recently upgraded from 960) + i5 4460.
I've looked at monitor prices and some 240hz monitors are actually cheaper than 144hz at some shops (ASUS ROG Swift PG248Q - LED monitor 24"). So... buy 240hz and lock at 144hz?

I've heard G-sync makes fps drops smoother and locks FPS somehow. 

What do you guys suggest? 240hz or 144hz?

G-sync does not lock the framerate, it's quite the opposite.

is makes the Monitor refresh at the same rate as the FPS the card is giving so you'll see every frame which makes it looks smooth.

also it will not really matter if you have a 240Hz display or 144Hz display if you don't go over the 144FPS.

so i would look at the panel quality above all.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

I would personally go for the 240hz as they are usually better than the 144hz in quality and have gsync. Also no need to put the refresh rate at 144hz when you have gsync enabled. It will match the refresh rate to your fps so there won't be any screen tearing which is nice in games running under 100 fps. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear ^^ G-sync will make the games I play at 60 FPS + ultra settings smoother and even allow them to go 70 fps without any tearing or stuttering! Those are great features.

30 minutes ago, Fr4nt1s3k said:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear ^^ G-sync will make the games I play at 60 FPS + ultra settings smoother and even allow them to go 70 fps without any tearing or stuttering! Those are great features.

Yeah it's actually quite nice and was super useful in games that have performance issue in certain areas of the game. I am looking at you fallout 4 in the city area.