Air cooling in a closed environment

Hi guys!

I'm planning to get a new mid-tower case for gaming.

I think the components that matter the most for this topic are the CPU and GPU inside it:

Ryzen 5 2600

AMD RX580 (or RX590 if it has launched for when I get the PC)

So basically I'm kind of worried about the place where the case will be placed.

I have a wooden desk which has a dedicated space to put the computer case into it. It's a very closed hole where I think the case will fit perfectly with about 1-2 cm free at the sides and plenty of space for the rear part and the front, and I'd say some decent space for the top part too. The back side of that part of the desk is closed, so I'll have to open a little hole in it to send the cables for my peripherals through it.

However, I was going to basically get some fans into the case and the stuck cooler that comes along with the CPU.

I am wondering if you guys think this might cause some issues with the air flow and if it might affect the overall cooling and performance of the PC.

I know that a liquid cooling solution would be the best in pretty much any scenario because of the fact that water is better than air at conducting heat. But I want to know if I'm going to be thermal throttling all the time or if I should be just fine with the stuck air cooling.

As a last resource I could even end up getting rid of the back side part of the desk that is closing that hole if you think that might help the air flow.

Thank you guys in advance for any responses, they are much appreciated!

Yes, a closed off cabinet for the system will work the same as a closed off case. You need good airflow through the cabinet as well for the system to stay cool. How much of an opening is at the front and back of the space for the computer? Can you post some photos? What case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.