Should I get two LG 25UM58-P 25-Inch monitors or one Dell Gaming Monitor S2417DG ?

Sour-Tooth

Greetings,

I am looking to create a monitor setup that will be used for video editing and 3D animating (in Blender). I will also be using this setup for some gaming, but nothing hardcore.

I am open to any and all recommendations but have mainly been looking at two monitors.

The LG 25UM58-P 25-Inch is $150, has an ultra-widescreen, 1080p display with a 60hz refresh rate.

On the other hand, the Dell Gaming Monitor S2417DG  has a much higher $380 price point but comes with a widescreen 1440p display @ 165hz.

I am running a GTX 2070 with a 1700x and 16GB of ram. The rest of my system can be found here.

My budget is $400, but I am able to go $50-$100 more if I find something I really like.

Thank you for any and all help! It is all appreciated.

- Riley

So, do you need/want widescreen?

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Let me tell you this from personal experience when you go ultra wide get a 34" monitor the 25" looks so small.

i have the LG 34um58-P and i am happy with it so far the stand is ok, but it changed it to a Monitor arm so i could have the monitor a bit higher off the table.

p.s if you want, my wife has this one LG 34UM69G and she is happy with it too.

19 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

So, do you need/want widescreen?

I would like widescreen, yes. 

Def. go for the 1440p. At this sitze at least 1440p, otherwise it will be very much a "pixel party"

idd recommend UHD with such display sizes. Oh and you really don't need the super fast refresh rate. Resolution is much more important for your use case 

19 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

Let me tell you this from personal experience when you go ultra wide get a 34" monitor the 25" looks so small.

Thank you for your help! I'll look into it. Should I get two 25" inch or one 34"?

Never get a 25" UW monitor. It's the same height as a 20" monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Thank you for your help! I'll look into it. Should I get two 25" inch or one 34"?

one fat one ;) 

whenever you can avoid bezels do it.

4 minutes ago, Sour-Tooth said:

I would say get one 34" for the beginning and test how you really like it and how good it goes with your work and if you then really need another monitor just get a second 34" Ultra Wide like i am about in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Def. go for the 1440p. At this sitze at least 1440p, otherwise it will be very much a "pixel party"

How obvious is the refresh rate difference? Is resolution more accurate than the refresh rate?

one fat one ;) 

whenever you can avoid bezels do it.

Thanks! I have never used more then one monitor, so I need all the help I can get!

Just now, Sour-Tooth said:

How obvious is the refresh rate difference? Is resolution more accurate than the refresh rate?

When you're only doing casual gaming and work you won't notice the difference between upwards of 60 HZ

and at this size resolution is super important! You will see a huge difference in detail and clearness of the picture

3 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

I would say get one 34" for the beginning and test how you really like it and how good it goes with your work and if you then really need another monitor just get a second 34" Ultra Wide

Are the pixels visible on your monitor? I know video editing benefits from a higher resolution, but I question if it is worth the cost. Do you ever notice a rough edge when watching videos on youtube?

Thanks for your help!

When you're only doing casual gaming and work you won't notice the difference between upwards of 60 HZ

and at this size resolution is super important! You will see a huge difference in detail and clearness of the picture

Are there any cheap, small bezel monitors at 2k you could recommend?

11 minutes ago, Sour-Tooth said:

Are the pixels visible on your monitor? I know video editing benefits from a higher resolution, but I question if it is worth the cost. Do you ever notice a rough edge when watching videos on youtube?

Thanks for your help!

Ive nerver edited any videos or pictures or anything of that sort but i don't think i have ever seen any rough edges anywhere let it be games or youtube videos the only thing you will notice is when you go fullscreen on youtube videos they will have black bars on the side since 99% of the youtube videos are not in the 21:9 resolution but in the 16:9 resolution.

But on the other hand i sit about 70-80 cm away from my monitor so i dont know really how it would be when i would sit like 30 cm from it.

13 minutes ago, SoreRaito said:

Ive nerver edited any videos or pictures or anything of that sort but i don't think i have ever seen any rough edges anywhere let it be games or youtube videos

But on the other hand i sit about 70-80 cm away from my monitor so i dont know really how it would be when i would sit like 30 cm from it.

Thanks for the help. It looks like a good price, so I'll look into it.