Electrical buzz coming from PSU

Geotropism

I've noticed an electrical buzzing noise coming from either my PSU or my GPU when under load. This only started yesterday and my PSU is a Corsair CX750M (Green) and my GPU is a GTX 1080. Any ideas why theres a buzzing noise, or if it's coming from the graphics card or the PSU? 

I've attached a recording of the noise but I'm not sure how well you'll be able to hear it.

Electrical buzz.m4a

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 5GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz RGB | ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E | ASUS TURBO GTX 1080 8GB | Corsair H115i Pro RGB | Corsair CX750M | 240GB Crucial SSD | 500GB Seagate 7200rpm | NZXT H500 TG | Windows 10 64 Bit Professional

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX (Cherry MX Red) Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro & Antlion ModMic 4 Razer Deathadder Chroma 2013 Fiio E10k DAC & AMP

I can only her your fans spinning. But I a pretty sure, this is so called coil whine. This is typical to appear when the system is under load. Saddly there is not much you can do about it. Sometimes it goes away after longer periods of load in the system. 99% of the time it is caused by the GPU

Physical explanation: 

Your GPU has electrical coils in it, wich are driven by relatively high frequencies. Those frequencies and currents induce magnetic fields in the colis. This is wanted, since they are used to convert current and voltage to fit your GPUs needs. But those fields make the coil oscillate mechanically "by itself"

When your GPU is under load it will consume more power and therefore the amplitude (intensity) of those frequencies will go up.

Every component has its own "eigenfrequencies", wich will resonate and therefore amplify the induced mechanical oscillation in the component.

The problem now is: sometimes those components are not much fixed to the board and therefore start to oscillate/vibrate when under heavy loads, sichce the eigenfrequencies amplify this whole situation. And that is the sound you can hear and sadly and to much about it

My tip: Running furmark for 1h straight and check if it goes away or the frequencies change. Sometimes the colis sort of "settle" and are quiet after a while

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

I don't hear anything but a fan / background noise..  usually Coil whine though.  Bit of a touchy subject tbh, some people are OK with it, I'm not one of them.   Give it a week especially if either are new.   Should be fairly simple to eliminate the video card.

Fun fact, I've had 4 EVGA 1080ti's with whine that all went away after upgrading the powersupply to 1000W+.  There's no way I'm pulling that much power though.

Just now, toor said:

I don't hear anything but a fan / background noise..  usually Coil whine though.  Bit of a touchy subject tbh, some people are OK with it, I'm not one of them.   Give it a week especially if either are new.   Should be fairly simple to eliminate the video card.

Fun fact, I've had 4 EVGA 1080ti's with whine that all went away after upgrading the powersupply to 1000W+.  There's no way I'm pulling that much power though.

Going away o the whine  can be connected to how good your voltage regulations are in your PSU. This is a realy really complex and mathematical / physical hardcore subject

Given your powerful GPU and double-forward topology power supply, coil whine isn't uncommon.

Is it normal for it to only start coil whining yesterday though? I've had the GPU for a year now and it was never like this

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 5GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz RGB | ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E | ASUS TURBO GTX 1080 8GB | Corsair H115i Pro RGB | Corsair CX750M | 240GB Crucial SSD | 500GB Seagate 7200rpm | NZXT H500 TG | Windows 10 64 Bit Professional

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX (Cherry MX Red) Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro & Antlion ModMic 4 Razer Deathadder Chroma 2013 Fiio E10k DAC & AMP

3 minutes ago, Geotropism said:

Is it normal for it to only start coil whining yesterday though? I've had the GPU for a year now and it was never like this

Yes this can happen. you have to look at it as a mechanical problem. Although on a really small and high frequency one. Cars can also start to rattle over time. 

But here I guess it will go away in a few days

3 minutes ago, Geotropism said:

Short answer is yes.  Any weird weather ?   Not all UPS's are equal (assuming you have one), could have been something from your house power.

I've looked up a video of coil whine and most of them are really high pitched, whereas mine is more, for a lack of better word, coarse. I'll try get a better recording of it later and hopefully you guys can confirm whether its coil whine or not.

4 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

I think it sounds like coil whine, they are always a bit different.

Well that kinda sucks. 

Thanks. If you can check out my other post about the led strip on my mobo not working that would be great

12 hours ago, Geotropism said:

I've noticed an electrical buzzing noise coming from either my PSU or my GPU when under load. This only started yesterday and my PSU is a Corsair CX750M (Green) and my GPU is a GTX 1080. Any ideas why theres a buzzing noise, or if it's coming from the graphics card or the PSU? 

I've attached a recording of the noise but I'm not sure how well you'll be able to hear it.

Electrical buzz.m4a

Normal.  Not harmful, but could be annoying.

It's more prevalent when a high end card like a 1080Ti is paired up with a cheaper, double-forward topology PSU like the CX750M.